Sand Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots. Sand tigers are like puppy dogs. They have them in the tank at Epcot. I truly doubt Disney would chance any mishaps with divers in the tank while hundreds of people are watching while eating their lunch.:rofl3:

Thanks fairybasslet. They have really revolutionized the aquarium business, you find them in almost every major aquarium throughout the world. Big, gnarly, vicious looking shark, but in fact docile and very hardy, able to live and thrive in aquariums. Best thing that ever happened to aquariums (and, to some degree, underwater photographers :D)

Ken: We saw some butterfly rays in the sand next to the Spar when I was there. Big suckers, and I'd never seen anything like them. Did you see any of those? -Clay

I didn't see them Clay. I actually never got down to the sand, there were so many sharks in the huge fish ball around the bridge structure at about 80-85fsw that I never left that area. I hung there firing off lots of frames until I saw about 600 psi on the gauge and then thought it would be a good idea to head on up the line. I was REALLY lucky, I had only one day to dive there and everything really came together, weather, water conditions, and of course the sharks cooperated.

Oh my. I was planning a trip there in Sept. I hope it warms up otherwise I'll need my 7mm. There was a 78 thermocline in Cocos and I froze in my 5mm.

North Carolina really has some awesome diving.

The only ding on it is the wrecks are off shore. Spar is something like 23 miles(?). It is a couple to few hour ride. Right next to the Spar is the Aeolus.

Love the NC diving.

fairybasslet:
Great shots. Sand tigers are like puppy dogs. They have them in the tank at Epcot. I truly doubt Disney would chance any mishaps with divers in the tank while hundreds of people are watching while eating their lunch.:rofl3:

No sharks are like puppy dogs. Sand Tigers are # 4 on the International Shark Attack File's list of unprovoked attacks.

1. White
2. Tiger
3. Bull
4. Sand Tiger

How did I know, when I saw your name, that you would contradict what I said?:rofl3: Define "unprovoked" please.

Also, I saw on Shark week that hammerheads were vicious killers. Yeah, if they aren't scared off by your bubbles.

Frankly, I think all of this misrepresentation of sharks is what is contributing to their declining numbers because people view them as vicious killers. If you're swimming around with a stringer full of dead fish, that is "provoking" whether or not you deem it that way.

I had a sand tiger swim 3 feet away from for an entire dive in NC. He was the best buddy I ever had.:D

Apparently our NC Sand Tigers are very docile. Similar species off the coasts of Africa and Australia are not as docile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom