Santi Thermovalve air leak into drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eeeckman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've had a continuous issue with my Santi Thermovalve leaking air into my drysuit. I've cleaned the valve several times and lubricated the oring with silicone. Replaced the oring, cleaned and lubricated. I've used correctly sized metric orings provided by my supplier. It's annoying at the least bordering dangerous at its worst. Has anyone had this issue and corrected it? Thx!

I've had a continuous issue with my Santi Thermovalve leaking air into my drysuit. I've cleaned the valve several times and lubricated the oring with silicone. Replaced the oring, cleaned and lubricated. I've used correctly sized metric orings provided by my supplier. It's annoying at the least bordering dangerous at its worst. Has anyone had this issue and corrected it? Thx!
Seems like a warranty issue. I’d strip it from the suit and put it in a vat of water whilst connected to an inflator hose and see if that gives you any ideas.

... see if that gives you any ideas.
Another item to check is your regulator's IP pressure at your dive shop. Takes about 2 minutes while you wait. A high IP pressure will push open the suit's valve without touching it.

Thx John! Ip is sitting at 133psi which is on the lower end of IP range. Activating the valve in a vat of water shows valve is not closing upon release. The valve is sticking open with bubbles slowing down over time. Letting it sit on pressure for a while to see if it continues to leak. Thx for your suggestions!

Another item to check is your regulator's IP pressure at your dive shop. Takes about 2 minutes while you wait. A high IP pressure will push open the suit's valve without touching it.
Thx John! Ip is sitting at 133psi which is on the lower end of IP range. Activating the valve in a vat of water shows valve is not closing upon release. The valve is sticking open with bubbles slowing down over time. Letting it sit on pressure for a while to see if it continues to leak. Thx for your suggestions!

I have the 303 thermovalve and have experienced the exact same issue of runaway inflation. Happened a first time after maybe a dozen dives without issue, and tested out of water to diagnose the problem. Seems the button doesn't recoil 100% back up, and lets gas slowly into the suit. I disassembled the valve expecting to find some grit/debris, but the valve components/orings were pristine. Cleaned, lubricated and reassembled. Problem disappeared for a few dives but then reoccurred in the middle of a dive. Had to disconnect inflator hose to stay down and complete the dive. Same exact problem of the button only coming back up 90+% of the way, barely visible but sufficient to leak. Haven't used since then (have a separate connector as backup) but have read on this board of another diver experiencing the exact same problem (on a thread about thermovalve options) and reporting it to Santi with no success. Could be a spring problem, poor tolerance, etc. Seems to unfortunately be an issue with the valve itself that no cleaning/servicing might remedy, and I stopped using it as it's clearly potentially dangerous. I suppose i should also attempt to contact Santi about it.

Thx for your info - what are you using for a separate connector through the suit? I would still like to use my heated vest/gloves on longer dives but do not trust my 303.

I have the 303 thermovalve and have experienced the exact same issue of runaway inflation. Happened a first time after maybe a dozen dives without issue, and tested out of water to diagnose the problem. Seems the button doesn't recoil 100% back up, and lets gas slowly into the suit. I disassembled the valve expecting to find some grit/debris, but the valve components/orings were pristine. Cleaned, lubricated and reassembled. Problem disappeared for a few dives but then reoccurred in the middle of a dive. Had to disconnect inflator hose to stay down and complete the dive. Same exact problem of the button only coming back up 90+% of the way, barely visible but sufficient to leak. Haven't used since then (have a separate connector as backup) but have read on this board of another diver experiencing the exact same problem (on a thread about thermovalve options) and reporting it to Santi with no success. Could be a spring problem, poor tolerance, etc. Seems to unfortunately be an issue with the valve itself that no cleaning/servicing might remedy, and I stopped using it as it's clearly potentially dangerous. I suppose i should also attempt to contact Santi about it.

you can get an inline shutoff if you dont want to get a different valve

Thx for your info - what are you using for a separate connector through the suit? I would still like to use my heated vest/gloves on longer dives but do not trust my 303.
I have a Santi and a Light Monkey connector, the ones that only provide the e/o cable and stack with your normal inflation valve. A little higher profile than the standalone thermovalve, but no big deal. The Light Monkey needs the threads of your existing inflation valve to be clearanced/filed for the e/o cable to pass through. The Santi one does not require this modification.

I had my Santi 303 continuously inflate on a dive too. I did disassemble and reinstall, but I guess I should stay alert for it to happen again.

Back
Top Bottom