Sardine Run 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TaraSteinberg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,

I am currently living in Durban and would love to see the sardine run. I was wondering whether anyone had tips on good dive companies who do the run and also if anyone knows a way to get a good deal. I would happily work for a discount. Let me know all you can!!! I Know that they're on the way up the coast already!

Tara

There are quite a few dive operators in and around Durban. Those around the Aliwal Shoal area (Umkomaas) would be my first bet.

A good friend on mine and his sister have been involved with National Geographic when they covered the Sardine run a few years back. His sister Gail and her husband Mark run daily charters doing Shark dives at Rocky bay and i imagine Aliwal shoal as well. They should be able to help you.
Give her a call on 083 303 1515

Blue Vision, seem to be a good bunch of guys... they let me hire a wetsuit, weights and fins for free and only charged me for the actual dive.

Ant

PM me if you want a buddy, I'm keen.

Mark Addison and his wife Gail (Blue Wilderness diving) are friends of mine. I flew across the face of the planet to dive with them last year, best diving I have ever done! I could write forever about just how good it was, I will just say that it was so good, I will be onboard a South African airlines flight on Friday 26th June 2009, to dive with them again - we are doing the Sardine run for a few days and then going back to Umkomaas to dive with the Tiger Sharks and the 'Raggies' on Aliwal Shoal.
Ferdi and his mum Carol (Blue Vision diving) are also friends of mine, they too are a great dive centre to dive with - there is nowhere better to sit in the sun with a beer talking about the dive you have just returned from! - Are they good? Answer... worth traveling across the globe for! and that's 13 hours in the back of an aircraft, six movies, two tiny trays of food and absolutely no sleep!

hi all, thanks for the advice, I actually know the skipper (steve) on mark's boat and was considering diving with them. it is still pricey though. how many days are you doing the run for? I could probably afford 2 days or so but i am worried that i may end up, stuck on land or far from the sardines if i pick the wrong days. Any thoughts? Good chance i may be on your boat, sharkmaster.

Hi Tara

We are with Mark doing the run 30th June, 1st, 2nd, 3rd July then traveling back up to Durban where we are then doing the Tiger Shark diving with Mark on Aliwal etc. We travel back to the UK 10th July 09.

I awoke this morning went out on my porch and was greeted by hoards of Gannet's diving in the sea with whales romping in the water feeding on the little silver fish, a net has been taken at Ifafa Beach which is about 20km from Aliwal Shoal they have definitely arrived. Going diving at Aliwal now ta-ta
I think I live on the most beautiful coast in the world for daily updates visit sardine run updates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom