Sarting a Dive Op... a candid discussion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
The absolute most important quality to me when I'm out diving with another dive op (and I do go diving with other boats) is very basic, very simple and very fundamental. I ask the question, "First and foremost, Does this operator love diving?" If the answer is yes, then good service, a genuine interest in providing you with the best quality trip that they can inevitably seems to follow. The two seem to be inter meshed.

Kevin - be VERY careful here. People do lots of stupid things "for love."

In my mind a dive op's "love of diving" is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for success of a dive operator. Yeah, it's great if they do. And it shows for sure. But I would bet that almost every dive operator who ever went out of business LOVED diving.

To quote one of the greatest strategic thinkers ever

"It's nothing personal, only business." - Michael Corleone

Scubakevdm:
If, however, the dive operator cares first and foremost about about taking my money...

This will sound like a semantic argument, but the most successful dive ops care first and foremost about EARNING your money!

Believe me, I'm a big believer in "do what you love" and I love what I do for sure. I LOVE doing SuperBowl commercials, but make no mistake I'm gonna charge a client TONs of money to do it. But I earn every penny and clients know it.

This is an excellent story and an excellent thread. Thanks for sharing all this and I wish you all the best with your dive op. Go Kev! :)

Hey, thanks everyone!

Ray, you make a good point. I think you're right, and if I had to guess what the most dangerous threat to my business is, I think it would be the fact that I do love diving and find it difficult to charge people for alot of stuff.

I guess that the problem here with me is that I'm not really all that motivated by money- I understand that the business needs to have enough earnings to pay the bills, but I'm not really looking for anything more than that. I am extremely motivated to be the best, and am sort of a perfectionist. The problem is that if you want to be the best, it's a pretty good idea to have a boat, which costs money. This is definitely an area where I'm gonna struggle, and in fact, may already be doomed in. I'll explain.

I decided to operate the boat as a 6 passenger max charter, though it is pretty big. Actually, other boats like mine operate with 16 max. However, one of the things I hate the most when I go diving in other areas, is a crowded boat. So... it's a six pack.

The economics of a six pack are scary enough, but on top of this I decided that one of the other things that really bothers me is when I show up at a boat with a friend, or to if I'm taking pictures and get paired with another diver who I don't know. Now please don't misunderstand, I'm happy to dive with anyone, but if there's some sort of purpose to the dive, the mission can sometimes be curtailed by being paired with a diver that's interested in doing something other than what you've set out to do with your dive, or ended earlier if they don't last as long with their tank.

As far as I can tell, the most effective and responsible way to resolve this issue, is to have a DM available on every trip to be in the water. With this arrangement, any single divers can go with the DM, which frees up the groups that arrive together. Furthermore, I also like to offer divers who are unfamiliar with the area a guide if they want one, so they can also opt to dive along with the DM. So, some people might say, "okay, so you put a DM in the water on every trip, what does that add to the operation's costs per trip... $25.00?"

Here's the part where I want to be the best maybe a little too much for my own good. I feel very strongly that the DM is the most important player in the operation, simply because he or she is the one that is provide the bulk of the service. He or she is the one who fixes problems that may have pre-empted dives otherwise, the one who answers questions about the area, ID's stuff that folks may have seen, helps someone who may be about to get in trouble, the list goes on and on. The point I'm trying to make is that the DM is the heart of customer service, and I don't really trust anyone else to do that job the way I want it done (perfectionist, remember?)and therefore do it myself.

Effectively these decisions cause me to hire a captain for every trip. This moves the break even figure on a trip up a couple of notches, and if there's only six notches available, it makes the margin kinda skinny. It may be that they're too skinny to make this thing work. I am the only operator that I'm aware of that has arrived at this configuration, and it may very well be that this is because anyone else who has is now bankrupt.
I'm hoping that if I do a good job for people, the rest will fall into place, but the economic limitations that operating in this way impose may be more than the business can stand. If this doesn't look like its going to work out I'll have to make some changes. We'll see... keep your fingers crossed.

Great thread thus far. I joined ScubaBoard precisely looking for this discussion. I have been pondering the idea of opening up a new, or buying and existing dive operation for a while. I have a long-term horizon and wanted to begin gathering as much info as possible from others who have done the same (economics of the business, business potential, marketing, management, pros, cons, etc.).

ScubaKev - I may send you a PM to get in touch and exchange ideas/thoughts.

I'll also try to keep up with this thread for a while.

Hey Kev,

Great read so far!

I was just curious about your insurance requirements / roadblocks you have run into.

I know if you are running the vessel yourself you could run with only liability but to hire a operator or deckhand as an employee did you have to secure federal (MEL / Jones Act) insurance?

Jeff

Scubakevdm:
Hey, thanks everyone!

Ray, you make a good point. I think you're right, and if I had to guess what the most dangerous threat to my business is, I think it would be the fact that I do love diving and find it difficult to charge people for alot of stuff.

I guess that the problem here with me is that I'm not really all that motivated by money- I understand that the business needs to have enough earnings to pay the bills, but I'm not really looking for anything more than that. I am extremely motivated to be the best, and am sort of a perfectionist. The problem is that if you want to be the best, it's a pretty good idea to have a boat, which costs money. This is definitely an area where I'm gonna struggle, and in fact, may already be doomed in. I'll explain.

I decided to operate the boat as a 6 passenger max charter, though it is pretty big. Actually, other boats like mine operate with 16 max. However, one of the things I hate the most when I go diving in other areas, is a crowded boat. So... it's a six pack.

The economics of a six pack are scary enough, but on top of this I decided that one of the other things that really bothers me is when I show up at a boat with a friend, or to if I'm taking pictures and get paired with another diver who I don't know. Now please don't misunderstand, I'm happy to dive with anyone, but if there's some sort of purpose to the dive, the mission can sometimes be curtailed by being paired with a diver that's interested in doing something other than what you've set out to do with your dive, or ended earlier if they don't last as long with their tank.

As far as I can tell, the most effective and responsible way to resolve this issue, is to have a DM available on every trip to be in the water. With this arrangement, any single divers can go with the DM, which frees up the groups that arrive together. Furthermore, I also like to offer divers who are unfamiliar with the area a guide if they want one, so they can also opt to dive along with the DM. So, some people might say, "okay, so you put a DM in the water on every trip, what does that add to the operation's costs per trip... $25.00?"

Here's the part where I want to be the best maybe a little too much for my own good. I feel very strongly that the DM is the most important player in the operation, simply because he or she is the one that is provide the bulk of the service. He or she is the one who fixes problems that may have pre-empted dives otherwise, the one who answers questions about the area, ID's stuff that folks may have seen, helps someone who may be about to get in trouble, the list goes on and on. The point I'm trying to make is that the DM is the heart of customer service, and I don't really trust anyone else to do that job the way I want it done (perfectionist, remember?)and therefore do it myself.

Effectively these decisions cause me to hire a captain for every trip. This moves the break even figure on a trip up a couple of notches, and if there's only six notches available, it makes the margin kinda skinny. It may be that they're too skinny to make this thing work. I am the only operator that I'm aware of that has arrived at this configuration, and it may very well be that this is because anyone else who has is now bankrupt.
I'm hoping that if I do a good job for people, the rest will fall into place, but the economic limitations that operating in this way impose may be more than the business can stand. If this doesn't look like its going to work out I'll have to make some changes. We'll see... keep your fingers crossed.

rmediver2002:
Hey Kev,

Great read so far!

I was just curious about your insurance requirements / roadblocks you have run into.

I know if you are running the vessel yourself you could run with only liability but to hire a operator or deckhand as an employee did you have to secure federal (MEL / Jones Act) insurance?

Jeff

I'm not sure about which act compels me to get insurance. I knew that we had it at my last job, and also just thought that it was kinda common sense for this type of endeavor, so I just got it from the get go. I called up the Royal Marine Insurance Group and told them what I was doing, I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork regarding the daily operations, the crew, some of the policies on safety and so forth, and they set me up with the coverage. I still have some of the questionnaires if you'd like me to send them to you, but mostly they're questions you would expect an insurance company to ask a dive operator.
I think that no matter what your particular job is as the owner, you are required to insure anyone working on the boat who is not yourself. Even though I work the deck, and the employee is the captain, he's insured if something happens to him. (actually, I guess it's me who's insured if something happens to him, but hopefully you get the gist)
Hmm, sorry. That's some pretty confusing writing.

You know, one of the things I like on a boat is enough room to gear up without constantly elbowing or kneeing the person next to me. But I don't need enough room to dance . . . I don't know how big your boat is, Kevin, but I've been out on boats with 12 or 14 divers, where the experience was great and I have recommended the boats to other people without reservation. It has to be ORGANIZED, and there has to be a minimum amount of room, but you can have a larger group of divers and still have everybody feel good about things.

I think we had 10 or 11 on the Sea Bass, going out to the oil rigs, and I don't think anybody felt cramped.

If it makes the difference between economic survival or not, it might pay to up your capacity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom