Sat Phone in Raja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kendall Raine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Heading to RA end of March. Need to have phone capability and considering renting a sat phone for the trip. Staying at Papua Explorers then on Coralia (9 days each). Hope to have WiFi at PapEx but assume no cell service while on Coralia.

Has anyone used a sat phone in Raja (on a LOB, in particular)? How did it work? From whom did you rent? What advice can you share with me.

Thanks,

I’ve used the Iridium 9575 Extreme from Globalcom. Works anywhere. No problems with comms unless you’re inside a cave or on a plane. IIRC text messages and incoming calls were free. Useless for data - don’t even try.

I have used Inmarsat before in Africa. Was not my phone, it was a friends but no complaints. Did was it was supposed to do but as @tridacna said don't even bother with data.

Yes if you on a boat in Raja you will have no cell service (sometimes when you close to some of the main islands you do get very brief service, also Telkomcel is the better local SIM card to get for Raja) I don't see why a sat phone would not work, it's a very open space with no interference. Apparently Iridium is a better service provider from what I hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom