Save a dive? Sometimes the alternative is awesome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yesterday one of my partners and I were going to go hit Rosario Beach at Deception Pass. She would snorkel it and I would dive, which is a pattern we have been doing a lot recently. When I started setting up my gear I discovered that my computer was dead* and almost gave up on getting in the water at that point. I am so glad I didn't. Instead we both snorkeled and free dove along the rocky shore of the point and despite the cold water and current had an incredible time. There was so much life and the visibility was a solid 10 feet, which is close to the best I have ever seen in Washington. Saw all sorts of snails and crabs and chitons and even cauliflower anenomies. I was swimming along thinking I have lived here for 30 years, been coming to that beach for at least 10, and how have I never done this before?

So, my point is, even if the dive gets cancelled, just being in the water can be magical and shouldn't be forgotten.

* Assuming it's a battery I looked up what I need for that computer. I can get a battery and O-ring kit on Amazon for $25, or a 5 pack of just the batteries for $6.29. Either it's one hell of an O-ring, or someone is ripping us off.

I very much enjoy just being in the water. If I ever went scuba diving and my gear didn't work, I might just throw it off. Normally I just free dive without any gear, in warm water so I don't even wear a wet suit. Something about it feels so romantic in some way.

10ft in May is fantastic vis near the surface! 20+ isn't unheard in the winter once the bloom has died off.

10ft in May is fantastic vis near the surface! 20+ isn't unheard in the winter once the bloom has died off.
I think you get a lot more tidal exchange there than in many places. My best guess, anyway.

Video from the... snorkel? Dip? immersion?

Rip off I never replace oring and flood few computers
Static O-rings should be replaced only when damaged. Dynamic O-rings should be replaced at every major servicing (that is roughly every 5 years on my old SP regs).
The O-ring for battery compartment is static, so no need to replace it, if it is in good shape.
Clean it properly, slightly lubricate and reuse.
PS: depending on location, snorkeling - shallow free diving can be better than scuba diving.
I began as a free diver and switched to scuba later one.

Static O-rings should be replaced only when damaged. Dynamic O-rings should be replaced at every major servicing (that is roughly every 5 years on my old SP regs).
The O-ring for battery compartment is static, so no need to replace it, if it is in good shape.
Clean it properly, slightly lubricate and reuse.
PS: depending on location, snorkeling - shallow free diving can be better than scuba diving.
I began as a free diver and switched to scuba later one.
That is good information, thank you.

I can get a 100 pack of the correct O rings on Amazon for $11, but I don't want to need 100 O rings for my DC!

That is good information, thank you.

I can get a 100 pack of the correct O rings on Amazon for $11, but I don't want to need 100 O rings for my DC!
Do not you have access to a technical parts shop in your town?
Here in Parma there are at least 5 shops selling technical parts for local machinery makers, where you can buy O-rings of any shape and any type of rubber for cents...
They also sell bearings. rubber belts, springs, screws, air-compressed connectors and hoses, hydraulic system components, valves, filters, etc...
For a single O-ring, they usually give it to you for free, as the burden of releasing a tax-deductable receipt is over the cost of the O-ring.

Just go to a decent hardware store and take your old O-ring with you to match it up. Chances are they have one either in metric or imperial. It doesn’t need to be any special material since it’s not exposed to high pressure. A standard duro 70 rubber o-ring will do fine.
Now you know why we love to freedive in Norcal so much. Our ecosystem and U/W life is very similar to yours up north. Except we had giant red abalone to harvest. Unfortunately we can’t take them anymore.
So you did some snorkelling/freediving. Take it one step further and strap on a single steel 72 with just very minimal gear, no bc just use a back pack, one single regulator. Go the same depths. It sounds like you just went shallow around the rocks in what I call the “pretty zone”. I do this exact same thing but with a minimalist rig old school. Weight yourself light like a freediver. No need for a computer or anything because you’re not going deep at all. The lack of all the standard entrapments of regular scuba gear make it almost like freediving except you can breathe underwater.
So much fun 🤩!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom