Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't seen a thread like this since Dan Volker was around disseminating misinformation only being called
out by the likes of Dumpster Diver and Reck Diver. I really enjoyed those threads. Can we bring those three back? BTW has anyone ever sat through a graduate level statistics class (masters or doctorate) and learn how P-value,s Bias, hypothesis testing can all be manipulated to affect outcomes
I agree this has been an entertaining thread for me to follow as well. I have sat through a graduate course in statistics. I do not think this is a statistics problem. The problem, from what I can tell, is a quality of data collection.
I would love to see Goliath Grouper be left alone. So would sharks, whales, dolphins and many other marine animals. However, I have trust in a responsible wildlife management. My believe is that fisherman and hunters are the least Interested in species extinction because it will take away their livelihood and/or interest. The key is “responsible” and based on good data. I am very much against non-sustainable and irresponsible harvest and/or poaching!
Now back to arguing… Keep on, boys, in a search of the truth!

CuzzA sees one goliath on a ledge ... "My God man, they're EVERYWHERE!"

CuzzA sees one small shark approaching to maybe 30 feet ... "The sharks are aggressive and out of control!" *sizzling and screaming noises*

Since we're drawing conclusions from individual photos, I'll post these I took during the spawning aggregation off Jupiter last year. Note the complete dearth of smaller fish life ... well, except for the baitfish using the goliaths as mobile artificial reefs. And the yellowtail snapper and jacks picking off the baitfish. And the snappers tucked in right alongside the goliaths ...

View attachment 804965View attachment 804966View attachment 804967
Meh, last year? I'm diving every weekend... and don't need to wait for an aggregation, they aggregate all year over here. 🤷🏽‍♂️

:rule40:

Of course I would expect no less to try and manipulate my point that they aren't rare or hard to find. I went out yesterday, and not on a wreck, and they were there.

Funny, you would think normal people would be happy to see that they can be found all over the Gulf.

One shark 30 ft. away? What the hell are you talking about? Like this? Where's your videos shooting fish with sharks? The shark issue is another subject and makes me believe some of y'all talk more than you dive.

FWIW, the shark issue is self correcting.

Ich habe keine Ahnung, wie die Deutschen denken...

I had to look up "idea", but I'm surprised that I remembered that much German from one semester.

People are funny about names. Obviously, some of those names were Scientists bringing dad jokes to the process. As a dad who makes a lot of dad jokes, I respect that. Oh hell, I want to see a pink fairy armadillo as well as a gelea bean (Pronounced Jelly Bean).

The problem comes with renaming creatures when there's nothing wrong with the name. On top of creating a solution for a non-existent problem, they choose the arch enemy of the very people they were trying to un-offend. The irony is palpable. They will always be Jewfish to me as well as many others.
Whatever.

You sound like my teenage daughter. :D :D :D
Like, like it was like this big nasty fish, eww. Like it wouldn't stop, like trying to like, get close to me. It like even barked, like a dog. And I was like, "whatever, you goliath!" Full cap. 💯 #gross #whatever #eww

tenor.gif

I agree this has been an entertaining thread for me to follow as well. I have sat through a graduate course in statistics. I do not think this is a statistics problem. The problem, from what I can tell, is a quality of data collection.
I would love to see Goliath Grouper be left alone. So would sharks, whales, dolphins and many other marine animals. However, I have trust in a responsible wildlife management. My believe is that fisherman and hunters are the least Interested in species extinction because it will take away their livelihood and/or interest. The key is “responsible” and based on good data. I am very much against non-sustainable and irresponsible harvest and/or poaching!
Now back to arguing… Keep on, boys, in a search of the truth!
You are correct regarding the true stewards of the of the resource. Also they put up the lion's share of the money to protect it. For those who don't know please look up the Wallop-Breaux and the Dingle-Johnson act.

My point about Grad Level Stat is it provides the ability to sift through the data, and question the results.
Simply put by Mark Twain....
There are 3 kinds of lies... Lies, Damned lies and Statistics.

So how many people actually applied for a permit, and did anyone, other than me, get one?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom