Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riesenzackenbarsch. Giant Grouper. Apparently it used to be called 'Judenfisch' (Jewfish) in German too.
Whoa, why not Großerarschzackenbarsch??? :D :D :D

Any Jewish divers watching this thread that would prefer for the Goliath Grouper not to be called a jewfish?
As a a Jewish diver I was very disappointed by the name change and would prefer that it was changed back!

The universe was reading this thread evidently. Estate sale find today.

Attachments

• 48F296C8-E846-4B6E-B25B-67B8B2524EC9.jpeg
    48F296C8-E846-4B6E-B25B-67B8B2524EC9.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
Gypsy moth just got renamed. Kaffir lime continues to be offensive.
The dik-dik has been proposed to be renamed the they/their. By me, just now.
As has been mentioned, some of the names were changed to appease the chronically offended and not the group affected.
Slavery and territorial wars are an ugly part of human history, and tbey shouldn't be celebrated. Buuuuut , they do need to be remembered so they aren't repeated.
Good point about some of the butthurt being very localised or specific to certain languages.
The slippery dick wrasse appears to be standing the test of this time.

Like I said, anytime, anywhere. Counting the same fish, on the same wreck doesn't tell us anything. Distribution is key. Where's pipehoses videos from yesterday?

CuzzA sees one goliath on a ledge ... "My God man, they're EVERYWHERE!"

CuzzA sees one small shark approaching to maybe 30 feet ... "The sharks are aggressive and out of control!" *sizzling and screaming noises*

Since we're drawing conclusions from individual photos, I'll post these I took during the spawning aggregation off Jupiter last year. Note the complete dearth of smaller fish life ... well, except for the baitfish using the goliaths as mobile artificial reefs. And the yellowtail snapper and jacks picking off the baitfish. And the snappers tucked in right alongside the goliaths ...

_9120910.JPG_9120779.JPG_9120818.JPG

Haven't seen a thread like this since Dan Volker was around disseminating misinformation only being called
out by the likes of Dumpster Diver and Reck Diver. I really enjoyed those threads. Can we bring those three back? BTW has anyone ever sat through a graduate level statistics class (masters or doctorate) and learn how P-value,s Bias, hypothesis testing can all be manipulated to affect outcomes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom