SCAM ALERT - Louis Crooks FB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Just another example to NEVER use anything to buy stuff except PayPal Goods and Services (or equivalent). Seller said he had 2 transmitters for sale so I jumped. At 1st wanted to use Zelle, then PP Friends and Family. I insisted on PP G&S (I also ate the PP charges so he would get exactly what he asked for).... why I went through with it I don't know. It felt off, but it's easier to roll the dice when you're covered. To top it off they tried requesting $50 MORE after the fact, lol.

Anyway, he has a store / page / whatever called "Scuba Diving Gears for sale" on Facebook. Apparently I "hurt his feelings" (his words) and he kicked me off, but feel free to pester him. Shearwaters and Terics for sale all over his page. I call ********.

It'll at least take until May 5th to get my money back from PP as that's when I can escalate the claim, so it's a pain, but at least I am covered. Would be a HORRIBLE Friday if that money was just gone. Always, always, always insist on Goods and Services, even if you have to eat the charges (3.49% + $.49).

Edit: should have been blatantly obvious with a name like "Louis Crooks" :rofl3:

Just another example to NEVER use anything to buy stuff except PayPal Goods and Services (or equivalent). Seller said he had 2 transmitters for sale so I jumped. At 1st wanted to use Zelle, then PP Friends and Family. I insisted on PP G&S (I also ate the PP charges so he would get exactly what he asked for).... why I went through with it I don't know. It felt off, but it's easier to roll the dice when you're covered. To top it off they tried requesting $50 MORE after the fact, lol.

Anyway, he has a store / page / whatever called "Scuba Diving Gears for sale" on Facebook. Apparently I "hurt his feelings" (his words) and he kicked me off, but feel free to pester him. Shearwaters and Terics for sale all over his page. I call ********.

It'll at least take until May 5th to get my money back from PP as that's when I can escalate the claim, so it's a pain, but at least I am covered. Would be a HORRIBLE Friday if that money was just gone. Always, always, always insist on Goods and Services, even if you have to eat the charges (3.49% + $.49).

Edit: should have been blatantly obvious with a name like "Louis Crooks" :rofl3:
Yeah, has a sketchy FB profile. No info, no friends, only 3 pictures.

I agree... I am an idiot for trying. I had that little spidey sense and still pushed through it

You know how a lot of spam emails have spelling errors and typos? The guy putting GEARS, not GEAR, in his FB page name would be a massive red flag for me.

You know how a lot of spam emails have spelling errors and typos? The guy putting GEARS, not GEAR, in his FB page name would be a massive red flag for me.

Yeah, I get it. I saw / felt red flags, but sometimes you try anyway. Also, not everyone's 1st language is English... so I try not to hold that against them when they post stuff. Some people just can't spell either.

Yeah, I get it. I saw / felt red flags, but sometimes you try anyway. Also, not everyone's 1st language is English... so I try not to hold that against them when they post stuff. Some people just can't spell either.
What was he “selling” them for? Must have been cheap as hell to override the red flags.

What was he “selling” them for? Must have been cheap as hell to override the red flags.
All said and done (because I took care of the PP fees) the total was $321. So ~ $160 / transmitter. Would have been a good deal, but I don't think unheard of. My 1st transmitter was like $125 shipped.... that was a great deal.

Years ago when I was giving away some furniture on Craigslist, I picked who got it from among the people who could string a coherent sentence together (among other things).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom