Scapa Flow as a recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ross9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all - I took a trip to dive Scapa Flow back in 2021 with all of seven drysuit dives under my belt. At the time I wasn't sure diving there was even possible with such little experience but was grateful to the many internet sources that convinced me otherwise.

I've now written about my experience here and hope it's helpful to someone else.

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing the experience. Beautiful photos as well.

Thanks for the write up. I did my first Scapa trip this year and was blown away by the diving. We spent all week on the German wrecks but I'm keen to go back and see the blockships as well. There's so much to dive. Here's a moody shot from UB116. I'd recommend a twinset but several of my club members did the trip on 15l plus pony and had a great time.
IMG-20230919-WA0055.jpg

Hey all - I took a trip to dive Scapa Flow back in 2021 with all of seven drysuit dives under my belt. At the time I wasn't sure diving there was even possible with such little experience but was grateful to the many internet sources that convinced me otherwise.

I've now written about my experience here and hope it's helpful to someone else.

Excellent review of your trip.

Went there in 2013 for a week. All wrecks are accessible for recreational divers, but the three battleships really need decompression diving to see anything of value. The other five German wrecks can easily be done without decompression, but much better with. I also did a blockship, SS Tabarka which was a great dive with very good visibility, but I would have preferred another dive on one of the German wrecks.

Really enjoyed your write up, thanks for doing it. Im from Scotland and haven’t made the time yet to get to Scapa. It’s on my list for sure and I like the idea of the 3 day trip. If you ever fancy a local trip let me know. Ps if you haven’t made it to the Farnes sept oct to dive with the seal pups/ I highly recommend it. All the best , Kris

Thanks for all the comments. I'm now living in Sydney so plenty new wrecks to explore out here!

Good read, suprised you did Karlsruhe last, that would of been good to do as the first fleet dive due to depths

Back
Top Bottom