Scared of sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not so Funny Anecdote

I read Bill Brysons In a Sunburnt Land about Australia. Great Read by The Way.
In it he meets a guy that describes seeing a victim of the Box JellyFish who was in so much pain that even after they sedated him he couldn't stop screaming...
now that's pain!!!

Ber Rabbit:
Hey ScubaTwo don't feel bad, at least you aren't afraid of squirrels :) Those suckers are everywhere! I had my hand shredded by one as a child and don't even like them looking at me funny. I live in the woods and when my bird feeder is empty the squirrels throw themselves against my front door and look in the windows until I go fill it. Creepy!
Ber

I have squirrel issues too, but only because my father insists on shooting them out through his kitchen window, .177 pellet rifle in one hand, martini in the other - in broad daylight.

His neighbors have actually become used to it.

<twitch>

doole:
>> Doole, do you instruct in Northern Australia? <<

Nope

>> Not to keep bashing but doesn't the box jelly fish have a limited range and is only found off the coast of Northern Australia? <<

As far as I know that is correct

>> That was my basic understanding that was published in National Geographic. I also found a link for Berkley about the box jellyfish.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/Chironex.html

If I am incorrect, and you have other sources, please inform me, as this information will help protect divers and swimmers alike. I am open to criticism, but only if I am incorrect. <<

As far as I know you are entirely correct.

However, box jellies do kill more humans than sharks, regardless of where. This is my understanding. Am I wrong?

I think you're correct about the number of deaths per year that are caused by box jellies.

Another interesting fact about Australia - Home of the 10 deadliest snakes - one of which is called, "The COMMON brown snake." I really don't feel like getting caught up in that popularity contest!

doole:
I have squirrel issues too, but only because my father insists on shooting them out through his kitchen window, .177 pellet rifle in one hand, martini in the other - in broad daylight.

His neighbors have actually become used to it.

<twitch>

ROFLMAO! My dad used to shoot raccoons and groundhogs out his bedroom window with a 12-gauge shotgun in broad daylight among other times. Not only were the neighbors used to it they helped. Mom had to move some rocks away from the shed because one neighbor was shooting out his window at a groundhog on mom and dad's property and the bullet ricocheted off of a rock and hit the house right beside dad's window. You didn't walk behind the house without peeking around the corner to make sure the "range" wasn't active.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
ROFLMAO! My dad used to shoot raccoons and groundhogs out his bedroom window with a 12-gauge shotgun in broad daylight among other times. Not only were the neighbors used to it they helped. Mom had to move some rocks away from the shed because one neighbor was shooting out his window at a groundhog on mom and dad's property and the bullet ricocheted off of a rock and hit the house right beside dad's window. You didn't walk behind the house without peeking around the corner to make sure the "range" wasn't active.
Ber :lilbunny:

No need to be afraid of sharks - the real danger is at home!

<twitch> No, really - I'm fine. I can handle it.

This is actually quite therapeutic - a support group for divers with -er - eccentric fathers.

This is why I'm not afraid of sharks - if Dad doesn't scare the cr@p outa me, why would an innocent shark?

Hi Michele,

I'm jumping in a bit late but I also have a weird fear of sharks.
I'm even afraid rolling off of the side of the boat to go into the water thinking that one is sitting there waiting for me.

I will tell you that I saw a few sharks when we were diving on our honeymoon. Largest one was about 10 feet. IT WAS SO EXCITING! I wasn't afraid at all. I was so excited! It was something I will never forget and now I'm hoping I see them again when I dive next!

Thanks Deb!

mrobinson:
Thanks Deb!
I really hope you over come this -MRobinson-because it seems that you want to at least at some level. Its probably much more dangerous hiking in the woods in the US(chance of getting Lyme disease),going to the grocery store(40-50,000 deaths from car accidents per year in the USA alone),or staying home and getting depresed(suicide is the second leading cause of death under age 30 after accidental causes),golfing(higher chance of being struck by lightning than usual),or even taking a walk(car-pedestrian accidents kill about 3000-5000/year)-when you compare the number of shark fatal attacks on scuba divers world wide per year-its probably averaging about 1-usually by Great Whites-so if you don't dive with them-Scuba diving starts to look pretty safe....Peace...Saildiver.

mrobinson:
OK here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...

I told my husband I would never scuba dive because I know I have a phobia (meaning it doesn’t make logical sense) so I wouldn’t want to put him, myself or anyone else in danger. One day I decided to try scuba because I’m landlocked and in colder climates. Well, now I am freak about diving.

I've been meticulous about following information about GW's because I’ve had a phobia of them since I was a little girl. I know I’d be very lucky **more chance to get struck by lightening twice** to ever see one in person. I know they don’t like to eat me… I know… but I’m still REALLY paranoid about them.

Now that I’m going for my first warm water dive.. I’m a little nervous about it. Any suggestions? (Again here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...)

Michelle
Cold water diver - for a reason...

Cold water for a reason?! Hon, there are GWs in JERSEY (occasionally) during summer (of course not in numbers). They are there - I've seen CG videos of 15-20 foot white off of Atlantic City beaches, about 300-400 yards out.... Listen - look at it this way - if it is ment to be - there is nothing you can do. And look on the bright side - if meet one and live to tell about it - THINK OF A POST ON THIS BOARD THAT YOU WOULD HAVE. :wink:

Michelle,

I have the exact same irrational and uncontrollable fear. I think it was far too many scary movies when I was a kid.

I'm serious, I sometimes get sweaty when I am in a swimming pool thinking of sharks or other nasties coming up from the depths. I really love the water though, so it just isn't worth it to be scared all of the time.

I have learned to deal with it though and you will too. The Ocean is just too great to miss out on. I try to make myself more rational by making fun of my fear. Like soemtimes when I'm getting a little worried, I say to myself "Now isn't this how Lake Placid started?" (pseudoScary, funny crocodile movie) or "Gosh I'm glad I'm not the one wearing the yum yum yellow fins" This helps me rationalize my fear and make me remember that Jaws is not going to be lurking in the deep end of my swimming pool.

I am like you though and I have studied and know so much about sharks and their environment, but irrational is irrational. The books just don't cut it when your mind is as imaginative as mine is. :)

I still have to go around and make sure all of my closet doors are closed before I can go to sleep at night too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom