Scratches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would bolts come into contact with the tank? If that's an issue with the STA get a wing that doesn't require one. You're going to end up with a couple anyway. I have five now.

---------- Post added March 20th, 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

And need one more.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Only thing you have to worry about is the SS cambands digging into your steel tank. The only time that would happen is if you are overtightening your camstraps, which believe me, you'll know. If you have to leverage a lot to snap a SS camband shut, it's too tight.

Only thing you have to worry about is the SS cambands digging into your steel tank. The only time that would happen is if you are overtightening your camstraps, which believe me, you'll know. If you have to leverage a lot to snap a SS camband shut, it's too tight.

Good, thanks.

Yeah, but these cam bands also come with the rubber cushions to keep them from digging into the tanks.

What about steel tanks? In my case, I was worried about it eventually scratching off the hot dip coating (Worthington lps 108) and voiding the lifetime rust warranty.
It is not an issue. I have been diving steel cylinders for many years, with a BP/W and using a STA. The cylinders get dinged up from being handled, they get corrosion from water accumulation around/under the boot (particularly if you dive them in salt water and don't rinse them very well). There isn't a problem with them being in contact with a STA, or with a SS cam band buckle. You will get some rust on a steel cylinder. You will get some light rust inside the cylinder, or pitting rust if you routinely get air fills with a lot of moisture. I wouldn't worry about 'voiding' a lifetime rust warranty.

Back
Top Bottom