Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly none of us can say for certain who said what and who did what. However speeking as someone who selld drysuits (not very though many I'm afraid) we see things like this all the time. The fact is that there is a large percentage of the population who really nee a custom fitted suit. This is even more true with a wet suit. Very few want to pay the extra money though.

Knowing taat2d's hight the shop would have known that the suit wouldn't fit. Why would they go out of their way to sell him a suit that wouldn't come close to fitting? On the other hand is there a reason that taat2 wouldn't want t custom suit?

I get real nervous when someone does their own measurements. We send them the measurement form and it's also on the manufacturer website (I think). If the measurements are wrong the manufacturer will not spend a nickle fixing the suit. On the other hand if they cut the suit the wrong size for the measurements given they take care of it. I can't afford to take care of it either way unless I measure wrong and that hasn't ever happened.

It isn't unusual to tell a customer they need custom fitting and have them decide to make due with a standard size. It also isn't unusual for them to complain when they don't like the way it fits.

ScoobieDooo said...
I'm just curious - even IF it WAS Taat2d's error, mean to tell me that Dan's COULDN'T have gotten BARE to shorthen the legs an put the vulcanized boots back on like www.drysuitrepair.com? Whats that? Who's BS-ing who here? Mean to tell me that a MAJOR drysuit manufacturer CAN'T take off a pair of vulcanized boots (that THEY put on), shorten the legs 4" and re-glue them on? How come two OTHER drysuit repair shops that I have in my Favorites bookmarked CAN do this and BARE can't?

There are many potential reasons. Bare is a manufacturer. In manufacturing we use specific processes and specific rework processes for specific defects. If there is a problem outside the scope of those processes the usual result is scrap. If the scrap is too high from a specific cause then it becomes cost effective to develop another process/tool but in the meantime you just through some stuff away. Plain and simple there are modifications you can do by hand that just don't get done in a manufacturing environment.

It sounds to me like Bare does do custom suits but they do not do the desired modification to the standard suit. There is no doubt some reason they decided to limit the adjustability of the length to two inches (or whatever). My guess is that it's a limitation of a tool/process or a precut piece of material or some such thing. It may even be something inherant to the deign. If they do a more substantial modification it becomes a custom suit so your back to where you started.

It sounds like taat2d still needs a custom suit. Even if communications were poor and the shop was not clear enough or didn't tell taat2d that he needed a custom suit it sounds like he studied the sizing charts and it would have been evident from that.

As far as the suit goes it looks like the shop just filled taat2d's order. They didn't even do the measurements. They have never even seen him. OTOH. taa2d sees himself and saw the sizing chart and made all the decissions having even more info than the shop did. I can't even fathom what the shop did wrong other than to somehow fail to protect taa2d from himself.

As far as the gloves, there should be no substitutions of any kind without the customers concent and he should get his hood.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Certainly none of us can say for certain who said what and who did what. However speeking as someone who selld drysuits (not very though many I'm afraid) we see things like this all the time. The fact is that there is a large percentage of the population who really nee a custom fitted suit. This is even more true with a wet suit. Very few want to pay the extra money though.

Knowing taat2d's hight the shop would have known that the suit wouldn't fit. Why would they go out of their way to sell him a suit that wouldn't come close to fitting? On the other hand is there a reason that taat2 wouldn't want t custom suit?

I get real nervous when someone does their own measurements. We send them the measurement form and it's also on the manufacturer website (I think). If the measurements are wrong the manufacturer will not spend a nickle fixing the suit. On the other hand if they cut the suit the wrong size for the measurements given they take care of it. I can't afford to take care of it either way unless I measure wrong and that hasn't ever happened.

It isn't unusual to tell a customer they need custom fitting and have them decide to make due with a standard size. It also isn't unusual for them to complain when they don't like the way it fits.

ScoobieDooo said...

There are many potential reasons. Bare is a manufacturer. In manufacturing we use specific processes and specific rework processes for specific defects. If there is a problem outside the scope of those processes the usual result is scrap. If the scrap is too high from a specific cause then it becomes cost effective to develop another process/tool but in the meantime you just through some stuff away. Plain and simple there are modifications you can do by hand that just don't get done in a manufacturing environment.

It sounds to me like Bare does do custom suits but they do not do the desired modification to the standard suit. There is no doubt some reason they decided to limit the adjustability of the length to two inches (or whatever). My guess is that it's a limitation of a tool/process or a precut piece of material or some such thing. It may even be something inherant to the deign. If they do a more substantial modification it becomes a custom suit so your back to where you started.

It sounds like taat2d still needs a custom suit. Even if communications were poor and the shop was not clear enough or didn't tell taat2d that he needed a custom suit it sounds like he studied the sizing charts and it would have been evident from that.

As far as the suit goes it looks like the shop just filled taat2d's order. They didn't even do the measurements. They have never even seen him. OTOH. taa2d sees himself and saw the sizing chart and made all the decissions having even more info than the shop did. I can't even fathom what the shop did wrong other than to somehow fail to protect taa2d from himself.

As far as the gloves, there should be no substitutions of any kind without the customers concent and he should get his hood.

EXACTLY!

Very well said Mike.

Very well put Mike!

As a dive retailer for many many years, I have worked with several different drysuit manufactures including, DUI, WHITES, OCEANER, DIVING CONCEPTS, HARVEYS, and MOBBYS.

NONE OF THEM FIT AS WELL AS A BARE SUIT! Have you seen their adds? "FIT IS EVERYTHING", It really is!

I know that from my experience that if you shorten arms or legs by more than 2", you will be faced with a number of other fit issues. ie; knee pad placement, exhaust valve placement, proper circumference fit of legs and arms, etc, etc.

I feel bad for taat2d, however, I do not think that Dan's or Bare are responsible for any of this. In the future you might want to support your LDS. They have the expertise. Would you buy a tailored suit from someone in another country? At the end of the day you would have saved time and money had you purchased your Bare drysuit from a local dealer.

Good Luck!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

ScoobieDooo said...

Mike I don't understand what you mean by Dan's failed to protcect me from myself. I studied the Bare size charts. I spoke to them about the suit. If they would have told me that because of my measurements that I needed a custom fit suit I would have said yes ok no problem.

I'm sure as it must have happened to you in the past your customers take your advise don't they. Since you're in the buisness and know what your talking about. Granted we're all human.

If Dan's felt I needed a custom fit suit because of my measurements then they shouldn't have taken my supposed order for a stock XXXL suit, that we all knew would not fit properly. They should have thankfully declined my order and steered me in the direction of my closest LDS to get properly measured.

They shoudl have also told me that they themselves, nor Bare would take any responsibility of an ill-fitting suit because I did the measurments myself. I also told Dan that my inseam is 30 inches. If he knew that Bare could NOLY take off 2 inches, why did he sell me this suit knowing that that inseam is 36 inches and I would still have 4 inches too much?

dvleemin once bubbled...

My assumption is you don't pay until you have the suit and have tried it on. Is this not correct?

Darryl

Do you live in fantasy land? What store would ever modify a suit for you without taking at least a deposit?

Then this same store is going to let you try on the suit still with no money from you to have you possibly say you're not taking it now?

This will definitely be my last post, because as UP said earlier, enough already...move on.

Lets just forget about WHO's fault is may have been, was or is. My only point was PERHAPS Dan's could have said, "OK Joey, we have a problem here that needs to get taken care of. We can't get Bare to do what you want, what if we split the cost ($75 it was) to have www.drysuitrepair.com fix it for you - would that help?

That’s all I'm saying...the guy who SELLS this stuff ought to be there when the going gets good, bad or ugly.

Jacque once bubbled...
Very well put Mike!

As a dive retailer for many many years, I have worked with several different drysuit manufactures including, DUI, WHITES, OCEANER, DIVING CONCEPTS, HARVEYS, and MOBBYS.

NONE OF THEM FIT AS WELL AS A BARE SUIT! Have you seen their adds? "FIT IS EVERYTHING", It really is!

I know that from my experience that if you shorten arms or legs by more than 2", you will be faced with a number of other fit issues. ie; knee pad placement, exhaust valve placement, proper circumference fit of legs and arms, etc, etc.

I feel bad for taat2d, however, I do not think that Dan's or Bare are responsible for any of this. In the future you might want to support your LDS. They have the expertise. Would you buy a tailored suit from someone in another country? At the end of the day you would have saved time and money had you purchased your Bare drysuit from a local dealer.

Good Luck!

I do support my LDS. 90% of all my gear came from there. But are you going to tell me that you would spend $1000 MORE going to your LDS if you knew you could save money ordering online. or over the phone?

taat2d once bubbled...

Mike I don't understand what you mean by Dan's failed to protcect me from myself. I studied the Bare size charts. I spoke to them about the suit. If they would have told me that because of my measurements that I needed a custom fit suit I would have said yes ok no problem.

I'm sure as it must have happened to you in the past your customers take your advise don't they. Since you're in the buisness and know what your talking about. Granted we're all human.

If Dan's felt I needed a custom fit suit because of my measurements then they shouldn't have taken my supposed order for a stock XXXL suit, that we all knew would not fit properly. They should have thankfully declined my order and steered me in the direction of my closest LDS to get properly measured.

They shoudl have also told me that they themselves, nor Bare would take any responsibility of an ill-fitting suit because I did the measurments myself. I also told Dan that my inseam is 30 inches. If he knew that Bare could NOLY take off 2 inches, why did he sell me this suit knowing that that inseam is 36 inches and I would still have 4 inches too much?

I agree with everything you just said except where you said they should have declined the order.

Speaking for myself, I try to steer folks in what I think is the right direction. In the end though, the choice is theirs and sometimes they take my advice and sometimes they don't.

Maybe the real question here is whether of not the shop misrepresented the product by actually claiming it would be something it isn't or by ommitting information you would need to make a sound choice.

Dan's was not given a chance to rectify the problem. The customer called Friday afternoon, April 11 after I had left town for Guelph. Staff relayed the problem to Bare who were to call us Monday April 14 after checking their options. I learned about it April 12, Bare is closed Saturdays.

Unknown to us, Joe called Bare directly on April 11, got into and argument with them and then started shooting his keyboard off about all involved in helping him make his mistake.
While sympathetic, I must reiterate he was told by myself and my staff on several occassions that custom would be the better way to go. But that's only his word against two.
By the time I determined that we indeed could alter the suit, he had made arrangements to go local - which I think is ok. The cost with shipping & time frame will work better and still be less than custom. The suit - again - was NOT A CUSTOM measure. but an altered stock. Custom suits would've had a measuring form for the buyer to fillout and send back. We suggest the buyer go to a tailor to get measured up properly for all custom suits.

I did tell him the gloves & rings were the same as DC, from the same supplier, but we have our own source for them. They are one and the same glove and ring set.

Out of the dozens of suits we've sold accross North America this is the one and only problem we've encountered. And we are sorry it had to come to this.

Dan
President
Dan's Dive Shop Inc.

Dan's was not given a chance to rectify the problem. The customer called Friday afternoon, April 11 after I had left town for Guelph. Staff relayed the problem to Bare who were to call us Monday April 14 after checking their options. I learned about it April 12, Bare is closed Saturdays.

Dan, what, no cell phone? Salesman can't get a hold of you in times of crisis with problems at the shop? I'm just curious HOW you (Bare) figured taking 2" off the suit and giving him SOFT boots and separate Trek boots was the way to 'fix' the problem?

I would have been on the phone with the owner of the shop right after hanging up with Joey, if that were me saying "Dan, we have a bit of a problem here."

I've gone to my clients factories (on weekends) if a product I sold them failed or was defective to 'make it right.' Now THATS customer service!

Also, I think I would have refused to accept the order IF I truly believed the suit wouldn't fit correctly. Didn't you think that that order was going to come back to 'bite you' in the end?

Oops - and I said I wouldn't say anything more on this topic after today.

Back
Top Bottom