Scrim Material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So here are the actual fabric weights, using a lab scale accurate to .0001 g, and a fabric sample of about 250 cm²
(1 sq. meter is 10,000 cm²):
WIN_20230312_11_33_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230312_11_33_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230312_11_34_13_Pro.jpg

The next question for @tbone1004 is, "is the 'filter' the soft fluffy stuff, or the thin windows of pressed fused polypro?"
The fused windows are smaller in the 50 g sample, but if they're not the filter portion, then the fluffy filter area is more of the total area in that sample, and the fluffy portion looks more like the JJ material, despite being of lighter weight.

If my supposition that it's the "non-window" portion (the grid) that does the work, I'd either be tempted to try the "50"/37.8g or "60"/55.3g fabrics, or look for another bunch of samples). The weave in the "42"/49.4g fabric looks less consistent.

If it's the "windows" that do the actual filtering, then the 49.4g fabric is closest to JJ, on top of appearing to have more windows. But I'm suspecting the opposite is how it works.

@tbone1004 ??

@rsingler maybe on @Luis H 's next zoom call we can go into the full differences of how this stuff is made but the unbonded or "fluffy" bits are what is filtering. The diamonds are not actually press fused but are fused via a hot oil calendaring process and is to hold the fabric together. Huge amounts of information on this though and many different bonding patterns based on the tensile strength requirement, this is just the generic cheap stuff. Hell if you really wanted to be cheap you can just as easily use weed barrier from home depot as it's the same stuff but I'll have some samples for you after a meeting in a few weeks now that I know the rough basis weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom