Scrim Material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scrim does an excellent job and keeps any water that gets into the can out of the sorb too. Seeing how the scrims are inexpensive and don't need changing that often I'm ok with them. Use what works for your unit.
:)
It just seems like another consumable that could eliminated by a more thoughtful design choice.

My unit is a Kiss Spirit and has integrated steel mesh at the bottom of each canister and a mesh insert for the top.

Years ago the sorb was so dusty everyone used scrims, but i dont ever see enough dust in the sorb i buy now to merit it.

It just seems like another consumable that could eliminated by a more thoughtful design choice.

My unit is a Kiss Spirit and has integrated steel mesh at the bottom of each canister and a mesh insert for the top.

Years ago the sorb was so dusty everyone used scrims, but i dont ever see enough dust in the sorb i buy now to merit it.
KISS literally sells their scrim for your unit.

Stumbled across a thread whilst browsing at old posts on CCRx about this very topic.

Theres a few suggestions like vacuum cleaner filter bags and even Bounty paper towels, but the qualitative lab filter paper looked an interesting possibility.

The AP ones for my inspo are cheap enough and last well (unless you drop them in a muddy puddle) that I'll stick to using those, but hope someone finds this useful.

the picture @rsingler posted is spunbond polypropylene, oval bond pattern, unsure of the basis weight. someone with an accurate drug scale could measure to get gsm. This is the same type of material used in things like puppy pads, baby diapers, and reusable shopping bags.
@grantctobin has sent me a picture which was meltblown polypropylene often seen in things like filtration.
A combination of the two is typically sandwiched meltblown called SMS and is used as a breathable water barrier as the polypropylene is hydrophobic and the pore size of the meltblown is small enough that the water struggles to break its surface tension to pass. It will without enough head pressure but it holds it back fairly well. This is similar to the type of material used in the very early Cis-Lunars.

If I can get an accurate basis weight from it there are plenty of US sources and the material is extraordinarily cheap. Was supposed to get a sample from Fathom but haven't received it yet. Maybe @MattK911 can go to get one for me so we can find an easy source. If I can get an accurate OD I can probably get a friend to die cut a pile of them for very cheap. Material cost will be about $0.02/disc and the only other cost is labor to die cut them which is also basically free. Someone could sell them for a dime and be making 200% profit and paying someone $20/hr.

Here are the results from the Amazon spunbond polypropylene fabric samples.
Hope @tbone1004 can comment.
My wife will weigh the JJ-Scrim fabric in the lab tomorrow and I'll let you know the weight (and how accurate the claimed weight is for the samples).
WIN_20230312_11_33_24_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230312_11_33_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230312_11_34_13_Pro.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom