Scrim Material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's water repellant. A cup of water in the bottom of the can would slosh thru SS mesh.

Just for fun after @Fibonacci 's suggestion, I ordered this and two more variants from Amazon to cut out and compare...

Screenshot_20230305_221012.jpg

Mine:
Screenshot_20230305_221237.jpg

Theirs:
Screenshot_20230305_221305.jpg

I'll let y'all know...

Why doesn't it have a stainless steel mesh end pieces?
The scrim does an excellent job and keeps any water that gets into the can out of the sorb too. Seeing how the scrims are inexpensive and don't need changing that often I'm ok with them. Use what works for your unit.
:)

It's water repellant. A cup of water in the bottom of the can would slosh thru SS mesh.
Yeah, now I get it. I thought of something different when I saw "scrim."

Now that we are talking about the same thing... I dove w/o scrim in one of the scrubber canisters. I did not see a huge difference but put the scrim back in, as I did not want to get dust into the lung (on my rEvo). TBH, I did not see a lot of dust while installing the scrubber canister and the lung butter was clear after the dive.

I am not sure if scrim will stop more than a teaspoon of water. Don't you have shammies for that?

Don't you have shammies for that?
Yep! I put them in, even though it's not part of the prescribed JJ setup. I was merely responding to the theory of why the scrim was water repellant fabric.

Yeah, now I get it. I thought of something different when I saw "scrim."

Now that we are talking about the same thing... I dove w/o scrim in one of the scrubber canisters. I did not see a huge difference but put the scrim back in, as I did not want to get dust into the lung (on my rEvo). TBH, I did not see a lot of dust while installing the scrubber canister and the lung butter was clear after the dive.

I am not sure if scrim will stop more than a teaspoon of water. Don't you have shammies for that?
On a Revo, the bottom of both scrubbers has the scrim as that's where the dust would fall from and into the lungs. A bit of dust in the moist exhale lung would/could end up as a bit horrid tasting.

The difference between the Revo scrubbers and the AP / JJ scrubbers is the scrim's on the top as per the photo above.

Still, at least Revo's use half the scrubber than the AP / JJ / Meg / etc. does :cool:

Still, at least Revo's use half the scrubber than the AP / JJ / Meg / etc. does :cool:
You (and Paul, and most of Mel's unfortunate students) continue to regurgitate this. The chemistry of sofnolime reactions doesn't change because you put five cells and an orfice on a rebreather and make up a cell study.

You (and Paul, and most of Mel's unfortunate students) continue to regurgitate this. The chemistry of sofnolime reactions doesn't change because you put five cells and an orfice on a rebreather and make up a cell study.
But Revo users nearly always use half the lime of the full-sized scrubbers! i.e. SOP to change one scrubber only.

If only you could, for example, half-fill your scrubber; tamp it down; throw on a scrim; fill the rest of the scrubber on top of this scrim; tamp it down. Then you could throw away the top half and refill it (and turn your scrubber upside down to rotate the nearly-new scrubber).

Oh, you can't!

Never mind.

Just replaced another of my cells; as per the one every six months rule...
Can't find the smug face icon... 🤓

But Revo users nearly always use half the lime of the full-sized scrubbers! i.e. SOP to change one scrubber only.

If only you could, for example, half-fill your scrubber; tamp it down; throw on a scrim; fill the rest of the scrubber on top of this scrim; tamp it down. Then you could throw away the top half and refill it (and turn your scrubber upside down to rotate the nearly-new scrubber).

Oh, you can't!

Never mind.

Just replaced another of my cells; as per the one every six months rule...
Can't find the smug face icon... 🤓
some sidewinder users are rotating scrubbers too. :daydream:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom