Scuba book suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I enjoy reading books that tell scuba related stories...adventure, exploration, rescue. etc. Below are those I have read and reccommend. Feel free to suggest others!

Shadow Divers
The Last Dive
Deep Descent (writer has another called Dark Descent about Empress of Ireland, just ordered)
Fatal Depth
The Devils Teeth (not exactly scuba, but nice read)
Diver Down
Submerged

OrangeLion03,

You have a good start in developing a presentable modern diving library - Please continue with your collecting.

Modern Recreational Divng is only a few generations old, therefore much of that which has been printed is still avaliable and collectable but increasing in value at a very rapid rate. Some of the 1930 and 1940 items are quite expensive, those from the
1950s to 1970s are becoming rare and difficult to locate but those items prented from the 1970s to present still maybe found at bargin prices..Might want to visit your local used books stores and or check on E bay.

About 15 years ago, prior to or at the bigining of the electronic revolution, I presented the very frist US diving bibliophile meeting in my home which was well attended by affictionados from California and the western states along with several telecons from collectors in the eastern US. At that initial gathering we predicted that the older books would soon fly off the shelves and they certainly have, but there are still a treasure tove of books out there.

On Vintage Double Hose web site there is a thread dedicated to old & new diving Bibliophila, Magaphilia and Epherma. Might want to drop in on that site for a look see or even joining the tribe.

Good luck!

sdm

Good list.
orangelion03:
... writer has another called Dark Descent...
I'm waiting for Dave (Teamcasa) to author "Dork Descent" and will definitely buy a couple for me and my dive buddies (we are dork divers).

Me dear Ol Mum volunteers at her local library, in the "bookstore" and she's been asked to set aside any and all books related to diving that are donated or scrapped by the library.

Last year she snagged me a copy of a Cousteau anthology...a collection of writitngs by him and many others...dated late 50s early 60s. Stories go back to hard hat diving in the late 19th century. SOme great sories, some not so great (kind of hard to take some of the stuff old JC used to do in the name of science...). I'll post the title later.

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley
The Cave Divers by Robert Burgess
Sea Change by Dr. Sylvia Earle

I had this amazing cinematography instructor who has done a ton of underwater cinematography all over the world. the author of this book I believe is a good friend of his and some of his inspiration as well. I think it's more of a coffee table book but check out This Living Reef by: Doug Faulkner I'm purchasing it as we speak.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom