scuba books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving/Underwater Fiction

David Poyer - Tiller Galloway series – mystery adventure– Hatteras Blue 1989 - NC wreck diving, Louisiana Blue 1994 - commercial diving in the gulf, Bahamas Blue 1995 - salvage diving in the Bahamas, Down to a Sunless Sea 1996 - cave diving in FL.

Arthur C Clarke – science fiction - The Deep Range 1957 – about a sub driver who is a “whale shepherd.” The Ghost from the Grand Banks 1990 about the race to raise the Titanic

Michael Reaves and Steve Perry – science fiction – Dome 1987 – life in undersea dome - includes some diving

Lee Hoffman – science fiction - The Caves of Karst 1969 – underwater/cave miners who have been adapted to breathe underwater

Kathy Brandt – mystery – Swimming with the Dead 2003 - recovery diver from Denver investigates a murder in the BVI and Dark Water Dive 2004 - murder investigation in the BVI.

Peter Watts – science fiction – rifter series 1999-2005, cool website – www.rifters.com – people genetically modified to live at the bottom of the sea – Starfish, Maelstrom, Behemoth

Non-fiction (not instructional)

Kevin McMurray – Dark Descent 2004 - diving the Empress of Ireland, Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria 2001

Robert Kurson - Shadow Divers 2004 - story of the discovery of the U869 and its identification

Joe Halberstrom – Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, and the Wreak of the Andrea Doria 2003

Daniel Lenihan – Submerged: Adventures of America’s Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team 2002 – story of the Submerged Cultural Resources Unit of the National Parks Service

Pipin Ferreras - The Dive : A Story of Love and Obsession 2004 – Life story of Pipin Ferreras and the story of his wife Audrey Mestre’s life and death – free diving

Kittrell –(editor)- Down Time: Great Writers on Diving 2002 – a collection of essays and poems about diving

Stephen Harrigan - Water and Light: A Diver’s Journey to a Coral Reef 1992account of diving reefs off of Grand Turk

Michael Zinsley – The Rapture of the Deep and Other Stories You Probably Shouldn’t Know 1999 – short stories about the author’s experiences as a dive instructor/DM around the world – not quite as good as it sounds.

I enjoyed "The History of Underwater Exploration" by Robert F. Marx. It talks about all of the trial and error that went on throughout the years that lead us to today's scuba diving. If you want to know how scuba started, this book is for you. Many people died throughout the years trying to perfect it. They did some "Crazy" stuff when the technologies weren't as advanced.

I will tell you what...Amazon is going to be busy for me for the next months..
You guys RULE!!!

How about Movies? Docs, Films, etc?

Vie:
Beyond the Deep: The Deadly Descent Into the World's Most Treacherous Cave
by Bill Stone, Barbara Am Ende and Monte Paulsen - not strictly a diving book and not very well written; nevertheless very interesting, especially with regards to the use of Bill Stone's Cis-Lunar CCR.

oh wow.. i had forgotten about that book. you're right, not very well written, but
still an awesome read.

and how could i forget JJ's Fundamentals... even if you have no intention of
going DIR, some priceless stuff in there.

I know a great dive book coming out next month.....check out my signature.

OH, and if you want to read a funny funny scuba book- Hell Diver's Rodeo. It's several years old, but it was a fast, humorous read. Not many funny scuba books out there.

Staredge:
I like Clive Cussler's books. The Dirk Pitt stories are pretty good. I've only read the first Sea Hunters book & enjoyed it. I read a lot of history books centered around U-Boats and subs in general, primarily because I want to dive them someday.

........."Inca Gold" is a great novel, I love the cenote dive (Dirk Pitt) to escape the bad guys.

Alot of diving in the Dirk Pitt series.

Dave

Hoyden:
Diving/Underwater Fiction

David Poyer - Tiller Galloway series – mystery adventure– Hatteras Blue 1989 - NC wreck diving, Louisiana Blue 1994 - commercial diving in the gulf, Bahamas Blue 1995 - salvage diving in the Bahamas, Down to a Sunless Sea 1996 - cave diving in FL.

Arthur C Clarke – science fiction - The Deep Range 1957 – about a sub driver who is a “whale shepherd.” The Ghost from the Grand Banks 1990 about the race to raise the Titanic

Michael Reaves and Steve Perry – science fiction – Dome 1987 – life in undersea dome - includes some diving

Lee Hoffman – science fiction - The Caves of Karst 1969 – underwater/cave miners who have been adapted to breathe underwater

Kathy Brandt – mystery – Swimming with the Dead 2003 - recovery diver from Denver investigates a murder in the BVI and Dark Water Dive 2004 - murder investigation in the BVI.

Peter Watts – science fiction – rifter series 1999-2005, cool website – www.rifters.com – people genetically modified to live at the bottom of the sea – Starfish, Maelstrom, Behemoth

Non-fiction (not instructional)

Kevin McMurray – Dark Descent 2004 - diving the Empress of Ireland, Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria 2001

Robert Kurson - Shadow Divers 2004 - story of the discovery of the U869 and its identification

Joe Halberstrom – Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, and the Wreak of the Andrea Doria 2003

Daniel Lenihan – Submerged: Adventures of America’s Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team 2002 – story of the Submerged Cultural Resources Unit of the National Parks Service

Pipin Ferreras - The Dive : A Story of Love and Obsession 2004 – Life story of Pipin Ferreras and the story of his wife Audrey Mestre’s life and death – free diving

Kittrell –(editor)- Down Time: Great Writers on Diving 2002 – a collection of essays and poems about diving

Stephen Harrigan - Water and Light: A Diver’s Journey to a Coral Reef 1992account of diving reefs off of Grand Turk

Michael Zinsley – The Rapture of the Deep and Other Stories You Probably Shouldn’t Know 1999 – short stories about the author’s experiences as a dive instructor/DM around the world – not quite as good as it sounds.

great list Hoyden, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom