Scuba.com....good or bad experiences???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Scuba.com for your post and the email you sent to me earlier today.

I do need to clarify for accuracy sake that I was instructed by your personnel to send the BC back to you and was NEVER given the option of sending it directly to Oceanic. When I contacted Doug at Oceanic via a PM on this board, he also told me to send it back to you. This appeared to be a simple exchange and not a warranty issue. At that time I was not advised that you no longer had my size in inventory and no plans to order any more.

I think 10 days without an accurate response to a problem is too long...others will decide for themselves. I now better understand how you manage returns and exchanges, staffing schedules, and customer communictations and will factor that in to any future purchase decisions.

As divers, I'm sure you are sympathetic to a guy that just wants to get his gear and get in the water and the frustration of not being able to do that.

Thanks again for stepping up and responding.

I like Scuba.com and buy a lot of stuff from them. But any miscommunication or issue tends to be a lot more frustrating and takes longer when there is big distance involved. It is one issue that a LDS has a big advantage on - that face to face resolution.

Glad to see it is getting resolved.

I think it speaks well when a company that is under the fire takes the time to come here and tell their side and face the music.

One thing that online businesses need to know is that there is a certain level of apprehension in many of their customers that is inherent to online shopping. A customer usually can't walk into their location and resolve an issue face to face. Therefore it is imperative that online businesses promptly return emails and phone calls, even if they cannot give a positive or complete answer. If an item is going to take a week to ship, better to state that quickly than to stall the customer a week so you can then say it has shipped.

I've known of plenty of communications fiascos between divers and their LDS. I'm not sure I would agree that major issues get resolved much faster locally.

ReefHound:
I think it speaks well when a company that is under the fire takes the time to come here and tell their side and face the music.

One thing that online businesses need to know is that there is a certain level of apprehension in many of their customers that is inherent to online shopping. A customer usually can't walk into their location and resolve an issue face to face. Therefore it is imperative that online businesses promptly return emails and phone calls, even if they cannot give a positive or complete answer. If an item is going to take a week to ship, better to state that quickly than to stall the customer a week so you can then say it has shipped.

I've known of plenty of communications fiascos between divers and their LDS. I'm not sure I would agree that major issues get resolved much faster locally.
Should have said "a good LDS can resolve quickly" You are correct.

Nothing but good experiences with them. Never needed to return anything, so I can't speak for that. Of course, they are a real LDS in addition to their online presence, and only about a hour from me, so I could probably go deal with an issue in person if it ever came down to it.

Great prices, so much so that for many smallish items (lights and such) it's cheaper to buy from them and pay both tax and S&H than buy from my LDS. I do try to spread my purchases around, however, and spend plenty at my LDS. I just pick and choose carefully.

I've received several emails on the status of this return/exchange issue from both Scuba.com and Oceanic. I know that the wheels are in motion and hope that by this time next week I'll be in the pool!

As Reefhound explained: Communication is the key and once that is clear and accurate, the customer's mind is at ease.

Compudude: Yes, the 50% off of retail for this BC was too good to pass up especially when the LDS is marking UP from MSRP.

umm, this reaks of an advertisement thread...but I will add to it.

I ordered two things from Scuba.com in one order. It was two dive bags.

They arrived in a very timely manner. There website ordering was easy to follow with no hiccups. And everything arrived as expected with no blemishes or defects.

They even sent me a complimentary Sccuba.com sticker.

I like ScubaToys, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't often comment about customer service issues with specific scuba operations, and especially ones against which I compete on a daily basis.

Jim has build quite an impressive business at scuba.com; possibly the highest volume single scuba store in the country. You simply don't get there without being the best of the best. Having personally spoken to him several times and knowing his insistance on paying attention to the details, I am sure that any delays or errors in the transaction being discussed here are the result of misunderstandings that are VERY RARE in his operation. Trust me guys, this is a first class operation.

He now knows that problem. You can be ASSURED that it will be cleaned up immediately. Remember, a quality operation can make a mistake. The real measure is how the mistake is handled once everyone understands it.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom