Scuba Cylinder Caddy/Carrier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked the hotel about their storage room and they informed me that they will not guarantee that my stuff wont get damaged/stolen.
And yet they didn't have a problem with storing 4 3000PSI tanks in your room? I would think that would require a hazardous placard on the door at least in case of fire.

And yet they didn't have a problem with storing 4 3000PSI tanks in your room? I would think that would require a hazardous placard on the door at least in case of fire.

:confused: Why would you think that?
If it was pure o2 - sure that is a hazard in a fire but air or nitrox is not a hazard at recreational levels...

It's exactly what I said in the 2nd line of post you quoted. 3000 PSI of Air is going to make a pretty big bang when superheated during a fire. I'd think a fireman might like to know it's there. Placarding isn't only done for explosive gases, sometimes it's to alert them of potential explosive danger.

Last edited:
Think of it this way. The burst disk is going to let go - the tank itself will not go bang.

Placarding for aerosol spray cans that you take with you in toiletries - how is that going to work? Because that is also a danger - as well as any handguns and ammunition - any fireman is always thinking of the danger before they step in the room. So a placard is not going to work - DOT maybe but not on hotel rooms.

There is much more hazardous material than a scuba tank. I guess if you want to take it to extremes we can placard everything including your vehicle that you drove it in - you know to be really safe...

BTW I am a fireman - ammunition in homes and in trunks of vehicles scare me a lot more than a scuba tank... :wink:

BTW I am a fireman - ammunition in homes and in trunks of vehicles scare me a lot more than a scuba tank... :wink:

Is you fear based on actual teaching of your profession, or just your assumptions? I'm curious if this aligns with your teaching, and if it represents something that is worthy of scaring firefighters. This is not a flame, just wondering what is taught and the relevant risks compared to other stuff. SAMMI Video - What Happens when Ammo Burns.

Thank you for being a fireman.

So why do shops placard? the O2 on site?

If it was pure o2 - sure that is a hazard in a fire but air or nitrox is not a hazard at recreational levels...

I mentioned that in post 12. O2 creates an oxygen enriched environment that allows materials that do not normally burn to burn with a vengeance. The O2 becomes the fuel and is very dangerous.

In our town those homes that have long term care patients are well known because they have tanks on the property that contain large amounts of O2 and could cause a BLEVE (look it up for some really cool images). The oxygen in that case needs to be known so we can protect the tank or shut it down at the source to put the fire out.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2015 at 03:32 PM ----------

Is you fear based on actual teaching of your profession, or just your assumptions? I'm curious if this aligns with your teaching, and if it represents something that is worthy of scaring firefighters. This is not a flame, just wondering what is taught and the relevant risks compared to other stuff. SAMMI Video - What Happens when Ammo Burns.
Thank you for being a fireman.

I have fought two fires that come to mind - one was a car fire - about 200 rounds - shotgun shell and full metal jacket ammo were in the trunk - the ammo did not explode we were lucky. The second incident was a Thanksgiving oven fire that spread through the home and the home owner had guns and ammo in the home - the ammo did not explode we contained the fire to the first and second floors. The ammo was in the basement.

Ammo and propane tanks are the things I was taught to fear because they can and do kill.
I did look at that video - Not everyone separates their ammo from their guns. I can tell you I do for my shotgun and rifle - but not my handgun which is in a small gun safe next to my bed. I keep it loaded in the gun safe.

So - I treat everything as if it can hurt me - because it will keep me safer in the long run.
Being a fireman can be a lot of fun - and the appreciation that folks show when you help them out is my reward.

Thanks for your advice guys - I asked the hotel about their storage room and they informed me that they will not guarantee that my stuff wont get damaged/stolen.
That's not the same as saying you can't, and they may say they can't guarantee anything to cover themselves - but what are the odds that it would actually be a problem? How would they get damaged? And if you think theft is a concern maybe you could rig up a way to lock the 4 of them together, which may not be foolproof but enough to make it pretty inconvenient for someone to walk off with any.

Wait, what?

Wait, what?
It started as 2 separate thoughts but was combined by others previous to you and discussed so just drop it please. I won't be back to comment on your reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom