Scuba Death at Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Chuck. Sadly, a trend - last year at the LA Coroner's presentation of "Why Divers Die", it was roughly 80% of diving fatalities were cardio related.

All the best, James

Hmmm... I can see a new invention for such situations... a hood that is cone shaped and has a broad rim to deflect the jellies well away from your face as you ascend through them.

Is their presence a fairly regular thing up there or just very sporadic? That is a serious question.

Rarely see these jellies, and if so, usually just one. This is the first time I've witnessed them in a swarm. I dive Monterey about 4-6 times a year all season long for about 8 years now.

Thank you Chuck. Sadly, a trend - last year at the LA Coroner's presentation of "Why Divers Die", it was roughly 80% of diving fatalities were cardio related.
All the best, James
Statistics...
In trying to draw conclusions from statistics, we need more information - this is a prime example.
If 80% of overall fatalities in the same group (for example, folks 40-70 who are active enough to Scuba dive) are "cardio related" - and I'll bet it's pretty close - then the statistic is, while true, totally meaningless - that is, there isn't any correlation between diving and cardio-related death, it's just the thing that kills most folks who die that don't have any other known fatal condition.
Rick

DrBill, how about an old invention for such situations: Umbrella... (maybe an expandable one to keep in a pocket) Might not be DIR though...

The jellies swarm every now and then... I can't pin down what months though.... Late summer to fall?

While they are thick and help add to the stress of the dive it's not impossible to make a slow ascent/descent and gently move them away... (did it 2 weekends in a row)

The jellies swarm every now and then... I can't pin down what months though.... Late summer to fall?

While they are thick and help add to the stress of the dive it's not impossible to make a slow ascent/descent and gently move them away... (did it 2 weekends in a row)

Hey, last I heard it was
Jellies 1
Ben 1

:)

Hey, last I heard it was
Jellies 1
Ben 1

:)

He just got a sucker (or is it tentacle) punch in as I zoomed by him :)

When all things are finally judged, the ultimate cause of death is always heart attack....

Back
Top Bottom