Scuba Divers and Weight Belts:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved the rubber belt with the wire bail and used it freediving for years but when SCUBA diving and changing weights for different configurations I got sick of packing around two belts and extra weights. I moved to a nylon belt with intergral pockets and when it bit the dust I bought an XS Scuba pocket belt, it never dawned on me to use the pockets on the rubber belt. CompuDude thank you and I will be stealing your solution.

I never had a problem with a weight belt I had on, but I use a freediving head first decent and snug the belt at depth.

I have both nylon and rubber weight belts. I have found that in areas where ozone may be high, that the rubber belts do degrade over time and fail. Of course the nylon weight belts often shred away after a few thousand dives (or was that a few hundred?)!

Mine is a hybrid design, with a webbed "tongue" attached to a rubber belt. So I use a regular (stainless steel) weight belt buckle. I'm not against the Marseilles buckle (or the wire bail), I'm just very comfortable with the standard buckle and have never had a problem with one in over 400 dives.

Sounds like you had webbing sewn onto the ends of the rubber belt. I was thinking about doing somethind different, and I was thinking it would be nice to find 2" EPDM rubber strip 5'-6' long but, nothing so far, just 3' long pieces. But reading your post has made me think of sewing a piece of 2" webbing to each end of the 3" piece of EPDM rubber strip. EPDM has the best weather resistence (Ozone, UV) than the other rubbers.

Sounds like you had webbing sewn onto the ends of the rubber belt. I was thinking about doing somethind different, and I was thinking it would be nice to find 2" EPDM rubber strip 5'-6' long but, nothing so far, just 3' long pieces. But reading your post has made me think of sewing a piece of 2" webbing to each end of the 3" piece of EPDM rubber strip. EPDM has the best weather resistence (Ozone, UV) than the other rubbers.

Not sewn. The belt was actually made for me by DumpsterDiver (on this board), using heavy-duty tractor tire inner tube for the belt itself. He used wire and a piece of plastic rod with a hole in the middle to make an end point for the belt, and a standard SS keeper to "end" the rubber part. The short webbing part connects via the wire. Great design, but hard to describe. I keep trying to remember to take photos of how he does it, because this has come up a few times.

I wouldn't want to sew into the rubber belt portion. Every hole you put in it is a new weak point that could tear.

I don't know what they made those tractor inner tubes out of, but mine shows no cracking or signs of degradation whatsoever, after getting dove regularly for 4 years now, in Los Angeles, a very ozone-friendly place.

Not sewn. The belt was actually made for me by DumpsterDiver (on this board), using heavy-duty tractor tire inner tube for the belt itself. He used wire and a piece of plastic rod with a hole in the middle to make an end point for the belt, and a standard SS keeper to "end" the rubber part. The short webbing part connects via the wire. Great design, but hard to describe. I keep trying to remember to take photos of how he does it, because this has come up a few times.

I wouldn't want to sew into the rubber belt portion. Every hole you put in it is a new weak point that could tear.

I don't know what they made those tractor inner tubes out of, but mine shows no cracking or signs of degradation whatsoever, after getting dove regularly for 4 years now, in Los Angeles, a very ozone-friendly place.

Damn... I made (and sold) that belt to you a while ago. I don't think I ever heard any kind of feedback (and frankly) was afraid to ask because I was worried you didn't like it..(plus it looks like something from a dumpster).... Those truck inner tube belts really do work pretty well and as you have found out, they seem to last far longer than one would expect.

Pretty much ALL the commercial scuba divers that I have turned on to the idea of rubber belts have not gone back to nylon belts.

Damn... I made (and sold) that belt to you a while ago. I don't think I ever heard any kind of feedback (and frankly) was afraid to ask because I was worried you didn't like it..(plus it looks like something from a dumpster).... Those truck inner tube belts really do work pretty well and as you have found out, they seem to last far longer than one would expect.

Pretty much ALL the commercial scuba divers that I have turned on to the idea of rubber belts have not gone back to nylon belts.

I feel like a turd. :(

Sorry I didn't give you more feedback... I LOVE this belt. :D

One of these days I'm going to have to see if I can copy your design and make one for my wife. (unless you feel like making more at some point LOL)

Photos! Can we have some photos of the tractor tube belt?

Ok, you finally inspired me to take some shots. I hope DD doesn't mind me sharing his design. (If so, let me know, and I'll edit out all but a vague description)

From a distance, it looks like any other pocket weight belt (well-worn, at that).

Closer up, however, you can see the belt is actually rubber, except for the pockets, and the tongue (which allows the use of a standard weight belt buckle).

3-IMG_0452.JPG
5-IMG_0454.JPG
8-IMG_0457.JPG

More, and bigger versions of the pics on the album page:
Semi-DIY Rubber Pocket Weight Belt

I'd imagine anyone could make it quite easily, if they could get the right inner tube material. The web belt tongue portion could be sewed by any shoe repair shop for a couple of bucks.

DD, what sort of hose did you use to protect the attachment point of the web belt tongue and the rubber portion, and what sort of wire? (if you don't mind sharing) Automotive? Old reg hose?

Interesting.

I have a tractor tube sitting in my drive way, and did not want to throw it away because I could use it for something. Now I have an afternoon project, just need to pickup a cutting wheel used for fabric to the cut the rubber evenly.

What about using a D-Ring instead of the wire?

I make them using various things I have lying around. I must have found a piece of sewn belt for yours, maybe a I used a broken BC cam strap???? I don't remember. The hose I used to keep the metal rings from opening and to protect the rubber is either scrap fuel line or an old regulator hose i chopped up, I can't tell and it doesn't matter.

The key to making themis find good tractor trailer or earthmoving equipment tubes that are discarded but are not dry rottted and still strong and stretchy. I live near a truck tire store, so I have my choice from their dumpster. It is a little tricky to cut the belt, you need to cut the rubber in a 1 foot wide swath in a SPIRAL manner around the tube. After you cut out like 5 feet of it, it is somewhat wrinkeled but pretty straight. Take a straight edge and sharpy and cut a2 inch belt if it is a little wide that is ok. You can usually get several strips from one piece.

It does ot need to be perfctly straight, it willnot matter when you finally use it if you are off an inch or so, but the edges need to be clean, no cuts that will allow a rip to propagate.

I can probably sell some more for like $20 shipped, if the buyer has his own metal buckle. You gotta promise to use a metal, because plastic is crap.

Also, to be honest, sometimes I use the store bought freedive rubber belts as well (the ones advertised here), They also work fine and they are probably less likely to fail. when you use truck inner tube, you do need to check for cuts or rips every once in a while. I''ve never had one rip but have to replace the rubber after 3-4 yrs, because it is starting to show wear. Never had one break yet.

I use the exact same truck tube to make knife sheath straps, better than any store bought ones I have found and I also use the stuff to make regulator necklace. My son was bummed when I fixed his mask and he found that i used string and a truck inner tube for a replacement mask strap. He felt better when I showed him I had done the same on my mask. The rubber is very tough, but the mask straps I make are non adjustable, but the srap is elastic enough that it doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom