Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little wetsuit material glued on the back would probably make it float pretty easily. Just make sure to not damage anything, and use a contact adhesive. They sell the non floatable unit at REI and with a 20% off membership coupon it would be cost effective with a killer warranty. ACR Electronics ResQLink 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon - Free Shipping at REI.com

Each unit needs to be re-registered every two years, at the main registration page below.
Emergency Beacon Registration Redirection Welcome Page

Also if you need to use the unit, it will need to be held out of the water, away from obstructions. If in the water and the GPS can not get lock it will chew up the battery faster, and of course not send out the proper signals. This is where having some type of velcro mount or something to attach it to the top of your BC (Or head; think funny hat) would be worth making.

I am wondering if the ACR ResQlink could be made flotable by adding some sort of buoyant material to the back. Since it is 0.6 inches shorter than the ResQLink PLus, that would solve vertical clearance issues.

The other aspect to fitting an ACR ResQLink Plus in the smaller canister is that perhaps the lower loop could be cut off. I am not sure how that would impact use in non-diving applications but it looks from the internet that you might gain an eight inch or so vertical clearance.

Personally, I think the loops on it are really important to have if you're using the ResQLink as a diver. I imagine the scenario of bobbing out in the sea for awhile, I don't want to have to hold the PLB in my hand keeping it out of the water for a long time, being able to activate it and attach it to yourself, perhaps your BCD at the shoulder would be a God send I would think. Or at least attaching a lanyard to it and tucking it somewhere. I would want to not have to worry about holding it properly, or holding it so it wouldn't float away.

Mike,
Can you share the ordering information for the cannister. We will be heading to Cozumel in a month and I would like to order one for this trip. Also, does anyone know if there are airline restrictions for the PLB's and any concerns in customs? Would you recommend putting this in your carry-on or your checked bag?
Thank you for sharing your research and information. I'm not a diver but my husband and son are, you can never be to safe in my opinion!

Please excuse my ignorance. How is this better than a nautilus? I'm thinking with the nautilus you already have the canister already attached. tia

Sent from my DROID X2

Please excuse my ignorance. How is this better than a nautilus? I'm thinking with the nautilus you already have the canister already attached.

The Nautilus relies upon a VHF radio link to NEARBY (10 miles or less) boats or suitably equipped land-based maritime radios. A Nautilus is probably of zero value anywhere but in a maritime environment.

A PLB transmits your unique user ID and GPS location (if so equipped) to the global search and rescue system. A PLB is useful effectively globally.

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - About SARSAT

The Nautilus relies upon a VHF radio link to NEARBY (10 miles or less) boats or suitably equipped land-based maritime radios. A Nautilus is probably of zero value anywhere but in a maritime environment.

It's actually illegal to use the Nautilus on land unless you have a special VHF license isn't it?

Mike,
Can you share the ordering information for the cannister. We will be heading to Cozumel in a month and I would like to order one for this trip. Also, does anyone know if there are airline restrictions for the PLB's and any concerns in customs? Would you recommend putting this in your carry-on or your checked bag?
Thank you for sharing your research and information. I'm not a diver but my husband and son are, you can never be to safe in my opinion!

I have a ResQLink+ coming. As soon as I determine it actually is all going to work I will post the results and the information you are looking for.

It's actually illegal to use the Nautilus on land unless you have a special VHF license isn't it?

I do not know Mike. However, if a person is in a life or death situation, any reasonable means to effect a safe outcome trumps any possible rule like that...in my opinion.

The canisters are on back order apparently, but should be coming in eventually. Again, I'll do a video compare of the divemaster and McMurdo versions with ACR PLB fitments, including ResQlink with floating pouch once I get them in....hopefully soon....

I have a ResQLink+ coming. As soon as I determine it actually is all going to work I will post the results and the information you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Mike,

I was curious if you had any updated information on the ACR PLB and the Custom Divers canister? I am actually in the opposite position (as of your last post in this thread) in that I have the ACR 2881 PLB and I am looking for a canister. As such, I am VERY interested to hear of your results.

I did purchase an OtterBox 8000 (rated to 100ft). The PLB does fit with plenty of room to spare. However, it is rather large and bulky. I am hoping to find a more efficient and streamlined solution for diving with my PLB.

Thanks for any update.

Dustin

I am posting the following information with the hope someone with either one or both of the PLB dive canisters can provide interior dimensions and or proof / confirmation the ACR 2881 fits safely inside one or both.

The dimensions of the ACR 2881 RESQLINK PLUS PLB are:

114.14 x 53.55 x 41.89 mm (H x W x D) +/- 0.05 mm. The height does include the 'loops' - ie it is the total height including loops.
Height of one of the 'loops' = ~9 mm

Dustin

Attachments

• IMG_20120424_213425.jpg
    IMG_20120424_213425.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 829

Back
Top Bottom