Scuba Diving Breathing techniques ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will echo what many have already said. Comfort in the water makes the air last longer. Realize diving is "slow sport". Things are not meant to happen fast. Relax. Keep your hands close to the body. Stop "squirming" in your gear. And sit back to watch the "movie" of the ocean slowly pass before your eye.

I too mostly breath for buoyancy control, and less to sustain life. :wink:

Progress comes with practice but very slow progress, I think concentrating on a technique could lead to faster progression.

Progress comes with practice but very slow progress, I think concentrating on a technique could lead to faster progression.

Progression to where ?

What are you trying to achieve ? Low SAC rates ? Why ? Get your SAC and adjust your air supply to it. If you dive in a group it will not matter anyways as the person who consumes the air faster will call the dive even if you have half a tank left.

You can improve your SAC by reducing the amount of CO2 produced by your body. It produces whatever it does depending on the activity.

AFAIC, breathing does not control the CO2 production. Fooling around with skip breathing to improve the consumption will give terrible CO2 headaches, guaranteed.

...Based on that I decided to open that thread so we can all share our techniques to help divers to choose what suits them and to do so I need you to share :
a- Your breathing technique
b- How did you practice it and how long did it take to get used to it.
c- How hard was it ?what did you do to overcome any hardship faced?

In my Advanced Nitrox class I learned about "Ideal Breathing" also known as "diaphragmatically initiated breathing". This technique has you breath in from the bottom of your lungs and breath out from the top of your lungs. Most (70%) of the gas exchange happens in the bottom third of your lungs.

I was taught to breath deep from my belly by way of pushing out my stomach like I am trying to make a potbelly :) Then I exhale slightly slower than my inhale, but I do this from the top of my lungs (normal exhale for me but slower than my inhale).

So far this is helping my relaxation and it actually helps me when I am jogging. :) I am very glad that TDI teaches this.

Here is a link to a very good blog on the topic of "Ideal Breathing".

Breathing for Scuba « Precision Diving

Good luck!

Thanks Mike , I read several articles about Diaphragm breathing , it seems that this is the popular technique , I will read the article . :)

My "exhale" takes around twice the time as my "inhale". Someone gave me this tip a while ago and it has really helped my air consumption.

nomro, it really isn't changes in breathing technique that result in lower gas consumption. It's becoming a more comfortable and more efficient diver. If you are unstable, or inefficient in your buoyancy or posture in the water, you will use a lot of gas. Anxiety does this, too. Becoming stable, relaxed and efficient will lower your gas needs.

I wrote an essay on this topic a while back -- once I get home to my own computer, I'll put the link up here for you.

nomro, it really isn't changes in breathing technique that result in lower gas consumption. It's becoming a more comfortable and more efficient diver. If you are unstable, or inefficient in your buoyancy or posture in the water, you will use a lot of gas. Anxiety does this, too. Becoming stable, relaxed and efficient will lower your gas needs.

I wrote an essay on this topic a while back -- once I get home to my own computer, I'll put the link up here for you.

Thanks I will wait for that article , by the way I'm an average air consuming diver (may below average), but when I compare my gas consumption to that of the dive master , I feel that the dive master is not breathing at all :) I have been diving for a while I have 38 logged dives , so I kind of have good posture , streamline , buoyancy etc...... (not perfect but good). But I'm still not satisfied with my air consumption rate and the progress in improving it. So I think it is the time for me to look for technique or tips to speed that progress.

Well, do remember that body size has something to do with it, as well! My former dive buddy is one of the most beautiful and relaxed divers you could hope to see, but his gas consumption is almost twice mine -- of course, he's 6'1" and solid muscle, and I am definitely not either.

Back
Top Bottom