Scuba Diving magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, there's a couple of things that you need to know about that formula... That rule can apply to the diver that's relatively fit, and in good general health (not hungover or strung out or obese), and assumes an ascent rate of 30 fpm, not 60 fpm. Also, GUE's teaching how to judge a general average of depth, not max depth like PADI teaches. However, they're making other assumptions that make up for the difference, like the 30 fpm thing.

To get any kind of accuracy on average depth you need a computer (even if its a small one) on your wrist. No way are you going to be able to keep track of that accurately without one.

If you work off max depth you're back to the PADI tables, basically, in terms of runtime.

Imagine the diver going say, to 190 fsw, and ing for 22 minutes. He looks at his computer, and it says he's 18 minutes into the dive. Three minutes later he's thinking that he's ready to end the dive, and he wants to know where and how long to do his stops... When suddenly, he realizes that his computer is dead. What does he do then?? If the diver was reliant on that computer, then guess what... He's screwed. He'd better know a little about deco!

Furthermore, there's more complex issues, too... What if there's multiple breathing gasses involved? What about Trimix? DIR teaches that Nitrox, if possible, should be used when diving at depths of 100' or less. Anything deeper really should be dived on Trimx, so as to help offset narcosis problems. And simply put, I don't know of a reliable He computer.

So "what's the big deal?" Well, it really depends on your situation. However, DIR training always works in all situations... The computer solution isn't always going to work in every dive situation. Thus, DIR teaches that computers are better left topside.

Depends on your definition of "work".

I don't consider being crippled on my runtime "working". And if I have to take a computer with me to figure average depths, I'm back to the beginning - I have a computer on my wrist, which can fail.

Second, on a deco dive, you absolutely do need some form of backup. Whether its your buddy, hand-cut tables, or (preferrably) both. But both are "oh the water's brown!" things.

The backup tables will likely leave you in the water longer, doing more deco than you need, but you can compute ONE set of "bail" tables for your maximum reasonable possible exposure (given the gas you have with you - longer than that and you're dead anyway!) and if your computer pukes execute THAT. You might deco longer than you need, but you won't get bent that way.

As for no He multigas computers, oh yes there are. The Nitek He and the VR3 are two of them that I'm aware of, and I believe Abyss now has the Explorer He version, which is the first FULL (not folded) RGBM unit available on the market.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that most computers are using bubble models that are based on a "worst case scenario" example. They must assume that you are a coffee-addicted, overweight, smoking desk-jockey office person who dives twice a year when they make that computer "safe for most users." If that doesn't describe you, then a more aggressive dive profile might be more applicable to you. And you will be thrilled to know that in many cases, combining the "law of averages" with a more appropriate and more aggressive dive profile can lead to even LONGER dive times.

In that scenario, you'd really begin to hate your computer, and simply switch to guage mode...

That's simply not true for the Vytec.

Yes, its conservative as it comes out of the box. But not OVERLY so. I've compared it against others, and particularly on multiple exposures, its not all that far off from even the "more liberal" computers out there. This is PARTICULARLY true if you drive it into deco, or if you're doing a lot of repetitive diving. In fact, my dive buddy, who has a different make, is often ordered out of the water before I am on repetitive exposures. :)

You can MAKE it more conservative (actually four additional "steps" of conservatism - two personal adjustments and two altitude settings), and, for the Vytec at least, you can turn DOWN the conservatism by attenuating the RGBM algorythm. The latter is something to be careful with, but if you're one of those "strapping young men", you might get away with it.

Since I'm NOT 20 any more, a bit of conservatism is a good thing from my point of view. But the tables, as taught by the major agencies, are WAY conservative. More so than my computer by far, to the point that I find them annoying.

Agreed. And the real question is, at what depth does offgassing begin to occur? There's lots of theories on it... But what they're teaching at GUE (and deco is not something that I've been taught by them yet), is that deco stops should begin much deeper than the traditional theories teach. It's an interesting perspective; unfortunately, I am not educated enough about it to discuss it. All I know is that they do support the idea of deeper deco stops.

You'd be surprised to find that most of the current computers, particularly those that use RGBM, show offgassing starting at deeper depths than you'd expect from a computer. The Vytec shows you when offgassing has begun (you're no longer loading) if you're in a mandatory-deco situation.

It is a two-edge sword though. One thing that you have to realize about deco theory is that the most-overpressured tissue compartment (referenced to sea level) is the one that controls your dive. During your first dive this will typically be the "fastest" tissue compartment(s), but during subsequent ones in a given day it might not be, and once you start up it typically won't be the fastest compartment(s) that control when its ok for you to move up to the next stop. Not only that, but it is ENTIRELY possible to be offgassing THAT compartment, but ON-GASSING others (both faster and slower), depending on THEIR pressure gradients, all at the same time, depending on where you are in the water column. Worse, if you manage to ongas a SLOWER compartment you may actually EXTEND your deco by doing those stops even though "by the numbers" you are offgassing in net!

This is where the rubber hits the road with a computer on your wrist - no table can take this into account with any degree of accuracy if you are off even by a bit on your profile that is planned, but a computer CAN, and DOES - in real time. If you bring your profile (from a bottom timer, or computer in gauge mode) to your deco computer (laptop on the boat, etc) to cut the second dive's (or third's, or N's) then you are still using a computer but doing the computations on the surface - losing accuracy, since they are all ex-post-facto and at best for your NEXT exposure.

Grab the Suunto Dive Manager, and look at some profiles sometime. You will be able to easily see how this plays out on a "real" profile, and it becomes obvious that this cannot possibly be handled "in your head" or with pre-planning with any degree of accuracy. You're guessing when cutting those tables.

What he really needs is one bit of information... How much air is available. Nine times out of ten, there's no shortage of it (because you've planned so well), and it at least relaxes them, seeing that you've got plenty of air to sustain both of you. So what do you need to show them? One very simple and very accurate guage...

If I'm a "real" buddy, I've shown my dive partner how my instrumentation works. He BETTER know, if he's expected to attempt a rescue if something goes wrong with me! And vice-versa. I think this is a red herring - I can easily point to the appropriate number on my wrist. Its labelled "PSI" - pretty hard to miss :) Its also going to be the only three or four-digit number on the display, for most dives. :wink:

Lastly, for deco divers, most will tell you that deco's best done with no reliance on any piece of gear that can fail... Including a computer.

Ah, but they're hypocrites. They're using a computer to plan their dives, and worse, they are doing it using incomplete and inaccurate information. You know the saying - "GIGO"! :)

Yes, you should have a "bailout" or a "the water is brown" worst-case deco table cut, and have it with you, on a deco dive. Plan that one for as the absolute worst case possible with your gas supply - the longest and deepest you could be and still get back with the deco gas you have. If you used less at depth, you spend extra time decompressing. Oh well. That's the price of an equipment failure - you get to spend extra hang time.

At least you won't get bent that way.

And what about SPG's? Well... They've proven to be more reliable than hoseless, wrist computers that are dependent on two batteries and a software engineer somewhere.

I'm not convinced.

The SPG has two dynamic O-rings in it, which are under full tank pressure, and a tiny little spool that they ride on. Small-diameter, small-area seals, high pressurem dynamic seals = reasonably high failure risk. Plus, gauges can (and do sometimes) stick or just plain quit working. Been there, seen that.

If it fails, you will either have to abort or shut down the post. If you shut down the post you lose all knowledge of what's in the tank. It won't be an instant catastrophic loss, because all of the modern regulators I've seen have very small orifices in the HP ports, so the gas flow will be reasonable, but it will be real and something to pay attention to, and require your immediate attention. Either way the dive is over.

The transmitter, on the other hand, is a hard metal fitting screwed into the first stage. No hose, no dynamic O-rings, less to leak. Yes, it can go dead, but all of the current ones I know of give a warning in plenty of time (visually) before the power gets critically low. Yes, it can fail, as can anything else, but if it does its unlikely to leak out your gas supply - it will just stop working. If that happens, you abort - you knew where you were before it happened, so what have you lost?

I don't see the difference in risk here.

What I do see is that the wireless transmitters are accurate within a few psi, where the analog SPGs are often off by 100 psi or more, and are impossible to read to that level of accuracy. Is that a big deal? Not really - until the analog one is off <500> psi and you don't realize it! :)

It wasn't all that long ago that the way you knew you needed to come up was when your J-valved regulator started to breathe hard, you flipped the reserve and ascended.

SPGs are relatively recent additions to diving. I don't see DIR making the argument that we ought to go back to reserve valves - even though they would eliminate several failure points!

Genesis once bubbled...

To get any kind of accuracy on average depth you need a computer (even if its a small one) on your wrist. No way are you going to be able to keep track of that accurately without one.

If you work off max depth you're back to the PADI tables, basically, in terms of runtime.

Not if you use an "average running depth" instead of "max depth." But it depends on what you believe. DIR teaches an average running depth, which is a little complex to go into here.

Of course, all of this depends on what you believe as far as the bubble models and theories go, and where your body begins to offgas rather than continue to load.

Again, I'm not saying that this is the only way... I'm just saying that it's no less or more proven than the computers. And yes, it's quite easy to keep a "running average depth" in your head.

Watch... You're doing an 80' dive on a wreck, right? How long can you stay there? Rule of 120 says 40 minutes. First point... If you're running with a single AL80, then you're running out of air before you have to worry about deco anyway. In that case, you'd use the "turn pressure" to decide when to return to the boat. What pressure is "turn pressure?" Well... In class, another simple and easy-to-remember formula is taught... Turn pressure could be 750 psi, and it could be 1200 psi... Depends on your own circumstance.

Okay, so let's say you're diving doubles, and gas volume's not an issue. Okay, then... 40 minutes at 80' keeps you out of deco. What happens when you've averaged more like 75' for the duration of the dive? Well... Okay, then... Stay for 45 minutes, not 40. Simple.

At 40 minutes, begin your ascent. Ascent should be horizontal, facing your buddy (in case you two have any problems, such as OOA or whatever), and at 30 fpm. What's that translate to? Well, a little less than three minutes of ascention time, of course. Why not also do a deco stop at 20 feet? Sure. Spend a minute or two there. No biggie. Then do the same at ten feet. Great dive, you'll have time to do a couple of S-drills for a minute or two at your stops, and you're way within safety limits everywhere. See how easy? Why need a computer? Try putting that dive into your computer and tell me what you get. Do you think that would be a safe profile?

Okay, dive two... I'm not even looking at a table. I wait just over an hour at the surface (which is about how long it's going to take for me to get a little water and some corn chips and change out my tanks, not to mention chat about the last dive and make plans for the next dive), and then head back in. I think that I'd be at my max comfortable depth of 80' (assuming that I'm on the same wreck, but I could also do any other no-deco depth) for 30 minutes or less. This profile might be over the PADI table a bit... But not by much. And certainly not by more than the PADI tables are padded for the fat, smoking desk jockey with 3 dives under his belt this year. Again, I'm assuming a horizontal, 30 fpm ascent, with a couple of minutes spent at both 20' and 10'.

A little different profile, no? And still safe, isn't it? The whole thing was done in my head... No tables here.

Now, do I trust that over a computer? Frankly, yes... Although I still consider the computer a luxury. What happens when my "head" profile and my computer disagree? Well... Guess which one I'm going to believe?

Which leads to the question... Why even use a computer?

Well, I personally think they're really cool... And a very nice "backup brain" in case you make a mistake. I like them, despite what DIR teaches. Nonetheless, I can still understand the DIR philosophy.

I don't consider being crippled on my runtime "working". And if I have to take a computer with me to figure average depths, I'm back to the beginning - I have a computer on my wrist, which can fail.

Yeah, but it's one thing to have a computer failure that says that you had an average depth of 77.6', when you know in your head that it was somewhere between 70' and 80'... There's much less room for error there than there is if, say, you were doing a deco dive completely dependent on the computer.

Again, I'm not saying that computers are worthless... I'm simply trying to explain the philosophy. I see both sides.

Second, on a deco dive, you absolutely do need some form of backup. Whether its your buddy, hand-cut tables, or (preferrably) both. But both are "oh the water's brown!" things.

Agreed.

I think that the computer makes for a nice backup. :)

However you cut it, the point is to have redundancy... And the most redundant source of info that I can think of is the human brain. Personally, I like the idea of having a computer too as a redundant source, but that's probably because I haven't learned to trust myself yet with this stuff. I will probably develop that the more I dive.

See, rely on the brain, and your computer, the redundant source, is hardly ever used. Rely on your computer, and your brain, the redundant source, is hardly ever used. When having to switch to the redundant source, would you rather have your computer, hardly ever used to figure a profile, used, or would you rather have your brain, hardly ever used to figure a profile used?

My point: Use the brain. Computers, IMHO, are nice backups, and something that I'd like to have while I get really comfortable trusting my knowlege. If I use the computer only, then one day I'm going to be reliant on a brain which I never taught to do profiles properly. Scary.

As for no He multigas computers, oh yes there are. The Nitek He and the VR3 are two of them that I'm aware of, and I believe Abyss now has the Explorer He version, which is the first FULL (not folded) RGBM unit available on the market.

Agreed. Have you dived them? I think that if you had, you'd consider them "not" fully functional He computers. And you'd probably want to do your own math.

Yes, its conservative as it comes out of the box. But not OVERLY so. I've compared it against others, and particularly on multiple exposures, its not all that far off from even the "more liberal" computers out there. This is PARTICULARLY true if you drive it into deco, or if you're doing a lot of repetitive diving. In fact, my dive buddy, who has a different make, is often ordered out of the water before I am on repetitive exposures.

I haven't found that to be true at all. I've found that Suunto's "Suunto RGBM" is easily the most conservative of them all... To the point of being pretty rediculous. I have found little evidence to support that computers come anywhere close to estimating the same numbers. In one instance, I've seen a cheap Oceanic and an expensive Suunto disagree with each other by more than 20 minutes of deco time! Yes, they were on the same diver.

Furthermore, product reviews and even this board support that Vytecs and other Suuntos are considerably more conservative than other brands. In fact, it's been called the "most conservative" of any make, regardless of it's "conservative setting."

Now, having said that, I'm going to point out that I still am maintaining that I want a Vytec, and that most of the DIR instructors that I have seen have favored the Stinger, Vyper, and Mosquito... All Suunto models. They simply aren't using the computers, though.

Since I'm NOT 20 any more, a bit of conservatism is a good thing from my point of view. But the tables, as taught by the major agencies, are WAY conservative. More so than my computer by far, to the point that I find them annoying.

Yeah, it's that fat, smoking, coffee-addicted desk jockey that's at fault. :D

You'd be surprised to find that most of the current computers, particularly those that use RGBM, show offgassing starting at deeper depths than you'd expect from a computer. The Vytec shows you when offgassing has begun (you're no longer loading) if you're in a mandatory-deco situation.

Care to elaborate on that statement? It shows what?

It is a two-edge sword though. One thing that you have to realize about deco theory is that the most-overpressured tissue compartment (referenced to sea level) is the one that controls your dive. During your first dive this will typically be the "fastest" tissue compartment(s), but during subsequent ones in a given day it might not be, and once you start up it typically won't be the fastest compartment(s) that control when its ok for you to move up to the next stop. Not only that, but it is ENTIRELY possible to be offgassing THAT compartment, but ON-GASSING others (both faster and slower), depending on THEIR pressure gradients, all at the same time, depending on where you are in the water column. Worse, if you manage to ongas a SLOWER compartment you may actually EXTEND your deco by doing those stops even though "by the numbers" you are offgassing in net!

This is where the rubber hits the road with a computer on your wrist - no table can take this into account with any degree of accuracy if you are off even by a bit on your profile that is planned,

Agreed.

but a computer CAN, and DOES - in real time.

Sorry, I don't agree with that statement. Like the tables, computers can only make "best guesstimate"calculations, based on what research has been done to help whatever theory it is that they're using hold water. The computer can not take true tissue loading into account... Only an overall "best guesstimate." Remember, both tables and computers are developed from lots and lots of theory and observation... Then "dumbed down" for the worst case scenario. They may or may not apply to you, but likely will be a little conservative, which everyone, including the computer manufacturers and table producers, want to see.

If you bring your profile (from a bottom timer, or computer in gauge mode) to your deco computer (laptop on the boat, etc) to cut the second dive's (or third's, or N's) then you are still using a computer but doing the computations on the surface - losing accuracy, since they are all ex-post-facto and at best for your NEXT exposure.

Agreed. The point is, though, to not be completely dependent on a battery at depth.

Again, at least that's DIR's teachings on the subject. I believe in the theory, and I also like the idea of another device showing me "what's up."

Grab the Suunto Dive Manager, and look at some profiles sometime. You will be able to easily see how this plays out on a "real" profile, and it becomes obvious that this cannot possibly be handled "in your head" or with pre-planning with any degree of accuracy. You're guessing when cutting those tables.

I'm not denying that there's some degree of accuracy lost when doing tables. I wouldn't exactly call it "guessing," but I can see your point... There's a loss of accuracy there.

What you're assuming, though, in the above example, is that the Suunto dive manager is NOT "guessing." You're assuming that the dive planner is able to come out with the perfect dive profile, and that it's to be believed no matter what.

I'm telling you that there is no reason to believe that Suunto's dive alogarithms are any more or less accurate than say, Navy Dive Tables, PADI Dive Tables, or the "quick" DIR method. All of these ways are very close, but they're not the same... And in some cases, the numbers can be radically different.

There is no proof that the Suunto, or any computer's model, is any more or less accurate (or more accurately, "more applicable to you and your specific situation) than say, U.S. Navy Dive Tables. And yes, even when you model two perfect dive profiles, you will find that they come up with different numbers... Different deco obligations, and different times.

Your statement above is a perfect example of exactly what DIR warns against... Trusting the computer. It's already begun in you... You trust the computer, even though there's no proof to support that Suunto RGBM is sufficient to keep your body safe from DCS.

Of course, we know that historically, the Suunto model is a fair way of keeping one's body from DCS, but so are many other models, which can be dramatically different. What's to say that the Suunto model, even at it's most aggressive setting, isn't completely and totally "over the top" conservative?

If I'm a "real" buddy, I've shown my dive partner how my instrumentation works. He BETTER know, if he's expected to attempt a rescue if something goes wrong with me! And vice-versa.

Well, agreed... And as I've said before, I like computers, personally.

However, how often do you show your buddy how your instrumentation works? Once last year? Every dive? Next time you're with him, ask him to show you what your pressure is... See how long it takes him to find it. Now add a little panic underwater... Do you really think it'd be as effective as showing him one guage with the needle pointing to 2200?

I think this is a red herring - I can easily point to the appropriate number on my wrist. Its labelled "PSI" - pretty hard to miss :) Its also going to be the only three or four-digit number on the display, for most dives.

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you're practicing your S-drills very often. If you were, then you'd know that your buddy isn't taking any of that into consideration when you show him your guage.

Try it yourself... Without looking at the surface or asking your buddy, the next time you're diving, grab your buddy's guage and see how long it takes you to figure out how much pressure's in his tank. Then consider what that'd be like if you're in half-panic mode.

Wouldn't it just be easier to have the simplest, smallest guage... One that looks exactly like yours... Shown to you plain as day?

Now imagine you're 500' back in a cave when you experience this OOA... No doubt, you're looking for SIMPLE, man... I can completely understand why DIR teaches what it does.

Again, that said, I like computers too. But DIR does not support them.

Ah, but they're hypocrites. They're using a computer to plan their dives, and worse, they are doing it using incomplete and inaccurate information. You know the saying - "GIGO"!

I just showed you what they're doing to plan their dives. And I've seen many a DIR person whip out tables to plan a dive. Some use a computer, topside, where failure only results in them changing the batteries, not being stuck, dependent and clueless on their obligations.

I don't see hypocracy in that.

Yes, you should have a "bailout" or a "the water is brown" worst-case deco table cut, and have it with you, on a deco dive. Plan that one for as the absolute worst case possible with your gas supply - the longest and deepest you could be and still get back with the deco gas you have. If you used less at depth, you spend extra time decompressing. Oh well. That's the price of an equipment failure - you get to spend extra hang time.

At least you won't get bent that way.

Agreed. The perfect use for a computer. Backup. Works well in case the brain ever fails. :D

I'm not convinced.

Fair enough. That's your right. And like I've said, I agree with a lot of your statements, and with almost all of them, to a degree. I don't think we're really that far off.

The SPG has two dynamic O-rings in it, which are under full tank pressure, and a tiny little spool that they ride on. Small-diameter, small-area seals, high pressurem dynamic seals = reasonably high failure risk. Plus, gauges can (and do sometimes) stick or just plain quit working. Been there, seen that.

If it fails, you will either have to abort or shut down the post. If you shut down the post you lose all knowledge of what's in the tank. It won't be an instant catastrophic loss, because all of the modern regulators I've seen have very small orifices in the HP ports, so the gas flow will be reasonable, but it will be real and something to pay attention to, and require your immediate attention. Either way the dive is over.

The transmitter, on the other hand, is a hard metal fitting screwed into the first stage. No hose, no dynamic O-rings, less to leak. Yes, it can go dead, but all of the current ones I know of give a warning in plenty of time (visually) before the power gets critically low. Yes, it can fail, as can anything else, but if it does its unlikely to leak out your gas supply - it will just stop working. If that happens, you abort - you knew where you were before it happened, so what have you lost?

Great example, and I agree with you. Up to the point where you say, "What have you lost?" Well, nothing if you're doing a recreational dive. If you've got deco obligations, you'd better know them, 'cause they're gone if your comptuter craps out.

Sure, not a problem if it's the transmitter... But it's a real possibility with the watch or guage. Flooding... Cracked seal... Cracked glass... Dead battery... And all of these things can happen witth s SPG or with a computer (well, except for the dead battery, which you've already mentioned has significant warning). The difference is, if you've got mandatory deco, and you've got a flooded SPG, it's time to abort the dive and go to deco. If you've got mandatory deco and you've got a flooded computer, you've got a real problem unless you've memorized your deco obligations (which isn't likely, since you've learned to dive the computer, not on your brain).

Which is easier? Oh, by far, the computer... And assuming that all alogarithms are the same (which they're not), no doubt the computer would be more accurate. Would the difference be significant? Well, it depends on how you define "significant." But I will tell you this... Rely on a brain and a plan, and you're unlikely to have a problem. Rely on a piece of equipment, and it's only a matter of time before you have a problem.

I like computers. They're real convienent. The real question is, would I put my life in the hands of one?

I don't see the difference in risk here.

Well, aside from the failure situation, which admittedly is unlikely in both the SPG and computer scenarios, I don't see much difference either.

Then why spend $1200 on one?

What I do see is that the wireless transmitters are accurate within a few psi, where the analog SPGs are often off by 100 psi or more, and are impossible to read to that level of accuracy. Is that a big deal? Not really - until the analog one is off <500> psi and you don't realize it!

Yeah, but I've heard of the transmitter type computers being off by as much as 800 psi... Something to do with "syncronizing" then before you get in the water. Someone else suggested that in a cave or wreck or other enclosure, radio signals could "bounce," causing variances in accuracy. I don't know how realistic that theory is.

It wasn't all that long ago that the way you knew you needed to come up was when your J-valved regulator started to breathe hard, you flipped the reserve and ascended.

Agreed. It was a bit before my time, but I've heard that. Scary, hunh?

And the truth behind DCS is that the statistical cases of DCS were low, even then... Now, they've fallen to even fewer numbers (although more cases are treated, hinting that we've developed better identification and treatment of DCS than before). So statistically speaking, anything we've done to help prevent DCS has been beneficial... Computer or not.

SPGs are relatively recent additions to diving. I don't see DIR making the argument that we ought to go back to reserve valves - even though they would eliminate several failure points!

Again, agreed... Which goes to show that DIR's not only about diving "religiously" or diving "blindly." They're not nutcases, Gen. Whether you believe all of it or only some of it, there's information to be gathered there, and it's coming from people who's skills are incredible... Which they should be, since we're talking thousands of dives every year...

Seajay, I'll admit that DIR has some valid points, but IMO it's carried to the extreme. The best way to prevent a problem is not to get in the water in the first place. Every diver should have a solid understanding of dive tables, plan their dive and dive their plan. I always dive with a computer and calculate for myself the depts/times for my dives when using various Air and Nitrox blends. As you are aware if one maintains and inspects their gear prior to diving the incident of equipment failure is very low. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that DIR folks look down upon those that do not follow the DIR way. We all share the love of diving and can learn from the various disciplines.

You're right... DIR definitely DOES carry the whole diving thing very much to the extreme. The real difference in opinon is whether it needs to go THAT FAR in terms of skill and thought and gear. Is it true that most people will be able to dive without DIR? Of course. But in my humble opinon, there's no diving that doesn't benefit from the simple skills that are taught in DIR-F (and nowhere else).

Every diver should have a solid understanding of dive tables, plan their dive and dive their plan.

Careful. That's a very DIR statement you just made. :D It's also one that I happen to agree with. I'm floored by how many divers don't do any planning whatsoever before getting in the water. Watch the next time you go out on a boat... Is it "extreme" to plan the dive? Apparently it is.

As you are aware if one maintains and inspects their gear prior to diving the incident of equipment failure is very low.

Well, that's true, but I've still had plenty of problems... O-rings are a constant point of failure, and freeflowing regs are common even when meticulously cared for. Stuck inflator valves are common, and leaky wings or bladders are also common, both in and out. Mask straps break after about 100 dives, and fin straps aren't the most stable... Wait, what were you saying?

If you're diving open water rec, none of the above problems are life-threatening, and the whole DIR movement might seem a bit "over the top." I know how you feel. I felt that same way. Lemme tell you what I found: As soon as there's overhead, be it deco obligation, cave, wreck, or whatever... These situations get serious. Pretending that you'll never have these problems simply isn't realistic for the diver that dives 100+ dives a year. Sooner or later, he's going to have to deal with equipment failure. And I've found that DIR addresses these issues quite well... And at least better than OW certification or AOW certification.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that DIR folks look down upon those that do not follow the DIR way.

Oh gosh... Man, do I know that feeling. At one time, I even called them "Nazis." I was poking fun of the fact that THEY WERE ALWAYS RIGHT and WE WERE ALWAYS WRONG. They seemed militant... Righteous... Religious... And I was just here to have a good time. "Rediculous," I thought. I almost never even gave the whole thing a second look. Why should I? I was having a blast just going DIVING...

Well, here's the deal... I dove with some of these guys. I took some classes from them. I don't know, exactly, where I got my ideas from (probably from people here on this board who claim to be DIR but aren't) but my impression of them was totally incorrect. Sure, they don't drink beer until 4am and they definitely have "a certain way" that they like to do things. There's no question there. But in my experience, these guys were the coolest, most open, fun-loving people I've dived with. They joked, smiled, laughed, debated, and discussed the entire time I was with them.

It boils down to this... DIR is still, even on this board, a minority. Sure, they're a vocal minority, but most of the divers here are not DIR. And to be perfectly honest, they do things in "strange" ways, according to most divers. DIR divers threaten the large, padded profit margins of the local dive shops, and have been trained specifically on how to handle certain underwater events, and find things like "bungee wings," neoprene drysuits, AirII's, and jacket BC's laughable, because they are not for the style of diving that they are doing. Even so, though, I find more non-DIR divers, who apparently feel threatened by the existence of another school of thought, picking on DIR than the other way around. Just look at this thread, for example. Even my original post could be viewed as me "picking" on DIR, or it's ideas.

What I tell those people that are DIR is this: Many times, what you may think is a non-DIR "picking" on you or your dive style, is really a curiosity... They have questions like, "Why in the world would you want SEVEN FEET of hose?" "If donating your primary was a good idea, then why don't PADI and NAUI teach that?" "You guys just don't like anything that has a name tag on it..." And so on. These questions aren't arguments, and people on both sides of the coin need to not consider these questions as challenges or as arguments, but as welcome debate. Of course, the DIR's that have been around a while get really tired of debating the same old things, time after time... Basically the inherent differences between a PADI Open Water rig and a DIR caver's rig.

...And so the debate continues. I don't think anyone is "picking" on anyone else, but I can certainly see how both sides would feel that way. Every person feels that their way is best... Else they would change their way, right? Add that to the honest inquiries that people ask ("Hey, is it true that you guys can only wear black underwater?") and it's a flammable concoction that explodes regularly on this board.

But in my humble experience, real DIR people (and I'll forewarn you that not everyone here who claims to be DIR is actually DIR) are very interested in fielding questions and helping to point people in the right direction so that they can make their own decisions about their own dive philosophy. And that's reality. Sometimes their frustrations with the same questions over and over again may seem like smugness... And I see it too. But please be patient... Everyone please be patient!

No, real DIR people are pretty cool and are sincerely interested in real information and debate passing both ways in a conversation. Even if you don't end up agreeing with them, you'll still find some great tidbits of information that can really improve your dive.

Have a good one... I've only taken one DIR-F class, but I learned a tremendous amount, and I have full intents on diving DIR. If there's any questions that you have, ask me and I will do my best to either answer it, or point you in the right direction. Please don't feel that these guys are "untouchable." They're as real and down-to-Earth as you and me. :D

Now, with all of that said, I have an announcement to make... I bought myself a new Vytec tonight. Found it for $858 with the transmitter. Will I use the computer in it? Maybe a little at first, although I'm certain that I'll end up forgoing it as I gain confidence in my math. The big question: Did I get the transmitter?

Yes.

Is that DIR?

Absolutely not. Will I keep it? I dunno. Probably not. I sure would like to play with it a little while first and test it's flaws. :D

We'll see.

In fact, I purchased a lot of stuff tonight... New Halcyon Pioneer 27, Halcyon hard pocket (barely DIR), and a set of Scubapro regs (MK16/S550/R380). I purchased the right hoses, too, for the reg, and a pair of AL80's (DIR when diving tropical, like I do). Oh yeah... I also bought a new SK-7 compass for my wrist.

Cool, eh? I'm really stoked.

Next is a set of Jet fins... I need to find a shop and try them on, though, to get the right size...

...And I'm still going to try out those BC's that I've been eyein'... But only after finishing putting my bp/wing together so that I can have a realistic "bar" to compare them to.

Anyway, here's to diving... Gotta love this sport... I'll be underwater at 10am tomorrow... :D Doing a 40', ten-foot-vis saltwater river dive, likely in about a 3-knot current. Man, I love the Lowcountry. :D

seajay i comend you eventhough i am not DIR I did get the Doing it right the fundamentals of better diving book and am reading it
theres allot of stuff in hear iagreewith and some well we seeas i go along . guessi just have to wait and see about all the equipment and so on as i go on but thought you made your point !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, SeaJay, one of the instructors at my LDS has a term for diving "quasi-DIR" : He calls it diving DICE (Doing It Close Enough). I'm a lot closer to DIR than I was even a few months ago, both in gear config and techniques, and I think that makes me a safer diver. But I'm not completely DIR, and I don't know that I will be.

Your discussion sounded pretty familiar, and for a good reason. Uncle Pug started this thread about a year ago where a lot of of other ScubaBoarders explain what does and does not work for them from DIR's tenets.

By the way, regarding your Vytec, check your PM.

Rick

of debating, seemingly endlessly, which is superior: the DIR approach to diving or the non-DIR* approach? isn't it enough to acknowledge that each has value?

this isn't meant as criticism or complaint -- after all, i have the choice to read or skip your posts. but i am curious: doesn't it get old after awile?

then again, some people will debate religion and/or politics until their throats are sore and they're on their dying breaths. perhaps dir/non-dir has been elevated to the ranks of controversial topics not to be raised at formal social events :)

dm

* what is the proper term for that which is not dir? and no, "stroke" isn't the answer. :D

The DIR topics always draw interesting conversation which is why I like reading them. I imagine the debate will continue on for some time and that's okay. I've met a lot of nice people in this sport DIR and Non-DIR, I enjoy diving with all of them.

The Vytec shows you when offgassing has begun (you're no longer loading) if you're in a mandatory-deco situation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Care to elaborate on that statement? It shows what?

That you are offgassing. The deco display shows when you are no longer loading and are offgassing. It also shows when you are optimally (maximum safe offgassing) doing so.

As for the comment that the Vytec is the "most" conservative computer, that depends on your definition. I can tell you that I've dove right next to a buddy with a Mares M1 on his wrist, and typically dive with someone that has a Genesis on her console, and in both cases our NDL times have been VERY close.

I've driven my Vytec into deco before, and yet through careful ascent rates it cleared the mandatory deco stops before I got there! Not granted, I wasn't DEEP into deco, but I was in there.

Finally, the Vytec has the RGBM50 setting, which decreases its conservatism significantly.

A big part of the RGBM algorythm conservatism is about decreasing or eliminating microbubble formation. I happen to think that this is a good thing; GI3s mantra seems to be "go ahead and bubble into my veins, my lungs will filter them out." I personally think that's an extraordinarily dangerous approach, in that a sneeze at the wrong time or a strong exertion coming into the boat (of course he doesn't often boat dive) could shunt some of those bubbles and then you'd be screwed - and this assumes you KNOW you don't have a PFO. If you want to see the Vytec go bananas on its conservatism, violate its ascent rate and you'll find out. In fact, it will penalize with you a mandatory stop on the way up for even very short "bursts" upward - I've had it nail me with a mandatory 5-minute stop simply from a breath-adjustment ascent (up about 10' from a 100' depth) to avoid running into a shark! It cleared that on the way up, due to my deep-stop practices, but it flagged that as a potential microbubble generator immediately, and the maneuver, from my point of view, was not extreme at all nor even worthy of note. This was one of those cases where I was glad the computer was on my wrist.

Yeah, it's that fat, smoking, coffee-addicted desk jockey that's at fault.

Heh, I'm not fat. 170 and 5'11 qualifies as "normal" on the BMI :) Nor do I smoke. And my coffee addiction was given up years ago, when I realized I WAS addicted (I HATE the idea of being physically dependant on ANYTHING)

But I still ain't 20 any more :)

Agreed. The point is, though, to not be completely dependent on a battery at depth.

Gee, what's your bottom timer (wristwatch, etc) run on? :) Again, this is hypocrisy. A watch can flood just like a computer, and will lock up just like a computer if it does. Even worse, you might not notice that it has right away - you WILL notice that a computer has gone bananas or failed completely.

I'm telling you that there is no reason to believe that Suunto's dive alogarithms are any more or less accurate than say, Navy Dive Tables, PADI Dive Tables, or the "quick" DIR method. All of these ways are very close, but they're not the same... And in some cases, the numbers can be radically different.

Your statement above is a perfect example of exactly what DIR warns against... Trusting the computer. It's already begun in you... You trust the computer, even though there's no proof to support that Suunto RGBM is sufficient to keep your body safe from DCS.

On the contrary.

I believe that I can trust the RGBM algorythm in the Suunto to accurately execute its algorythm and, via that model, present to me a graphical and numerical representation of the gas loading in its model of my tissues.

I do not believe that this model will be 100% accurate in respect to my actual body tissues.

However, I also do not believe that the DIR model is any better able to model those tissues, and in fact I believe it by definition must be LESS accurate, since the DIR model eschews direct observation. The closer to the actual events your sensors and input come, the better the model's input. The quality of the model may still be open to question, but its execution is more refined and by definition more accurate.

However, how often do you show your buddy how your instrumentation works? Once last year? Every dive? Next time you're with him, ask him to show you what your pressure is... See how long it takes him to find it. Now add a little panic underwater... Do you really think it'd be as effective as showing him one guage with the needle pointing to 2200?

Those who I dive with are intimately familiar with my instrumentation and me with theirs, or we're not buddies.

We do drills of one kind or another, and look at each other's gauges, regularly. Its part of being a dive team.

With that said, I won't claim to be a "perfect buddy". Spearfishing makes it a very, very difficult thing. In fact I'm considering manifolded doubles for exactly this reason - not for the increased gas, but for the redundancy.

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you're practicing your S-drills very often. If you were, then you'd know that your buddy isn't taking any of that into consideration when you show him your guage.

Sure we are.

I know where my buddy's pressure indicator is and how to read it, and she knows where mine is and how to read it. We often take a gander at each other's gauges, frequently without having to grab, because its easier than the other person unclipping and showing us.

Yeah, but I've heard of the transmitter type computers being off by as much as 800 psi... Something to do with "syncronizing" then before you get in the water. Someone else suggested that in a cave or wreck or other enclosure, radio signals could "bounce," causing variances in accuracy. I don't know how realistic that theory is.

Horse-hockey. If you get a rediculously off value, it will go back to normal in a few seconds. Just wait a couple. You CAN trip them up by having the transmitter in the water and your wrist out - how often does that happen when it would matter? :)

As for the "what if the computer floods", that's why you carry "brown water" bailout tables for a mandatory deco dive. But those are "worst case" tables, and are there for the explicit case where you have a computer failure. They'll get you out of the water, although it will take longer than you'd like.

Again, agreed... Which goes to show that DIR's not only about diving "religiously" or diving "blindly." They're not nutcases, Gen. Whether you believe all of it or only some of it, there's information to be gathered there, and it's coming from people who's skills are incredible... Which they should be, since we're talking thousands of dives every year...

That's what Sheck said, as he disappeared into the depths.....

Don't forget that DIR-trained and "complient" folks have done themselves in the caves pushing things too far. There was a death at Ginnie not all that long ago this way - apparent OxTox, with a bottom mix that was ~1.56. Too rich for my blood, but "ok" according to the DIR folks. I cut my EANx mixes when spearfishing for that exact reason; I'm just not comfortable when things get close to PO2 of 1.4 for the working portion of a dive.

Look, I fully understand and appreciate that these guys have great skills and do a thousand or more dives a year.

So what?

That doesn't mean they aren't religious fanatics in many of their positions, and that some of what may have started as a reasonable view towards diving has turned into religious fervor. It also doesn't mean that they don't push limits in ways that require absolute 100% top fitness - to a degree that makes their methods unsafe for many people who are perfectly fit to dive in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom