SCUBA Engaged in Cozumel - how we did it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leoncp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I wanted to share with all who might be thinking of doing the same, our engagment and tips for Cozumel:

After a year of planning, buying the perfect ring and organizing a Scuba trip to Cozumel I proposed to my wonderful girlfriend Kari in Cozumel Mexico.

See: YOU TUBE Video of Scuba proposal

We live in New York City, I am English and she is a native. She had no idea of the proposal and luckily she said "Yes". Could you imagine the tone of the rest of our holiday if it had gone the other way?

We had a fabulous holiday, we stayed at the Coral Princess , this was perfect, friendly and close to town. Neither of us dig the all inclusive resorts, we have done them in the past but prefer to get into the local places and try to experience more than the resort.

We dove 13 times with ‘Pepe’ Scuba attached to the Hotel and they were just fantastic! The dive master in question was Abdaius, he wore the camera in the Video on YouTube (above in the link). We dove with several other lovely people including Mike who had also had the same waterproof video camera, the ultra cool ‘GoPro’ HD (from Adorama Camera NYC). As you can see from the video we used footage from both angles (thanks Mike).

I planned to use a cheapo plastic ring for the underwater proposal but this broke in transit and I had to use the real thing…. As it happened this was the best thing to do and Kari loved it. I used a shoe lace that Frank, the manager of PePe’s Scuba gave me to tie the ring to my BCD. I then wrapped the ring in a zip-lock bag and placed it in the pocket of my BC. I used an underwater writing slate (from Leisure Pro NYC) to do the business and it went to plan. Neither of us remember the remainder of that dive but nearly all the dives were fantastic.

We were very lucky and witnessed nearly every fish in the area plus turtles, rays and shellfish. We did two night dives; both were great but the second, was the best as we were more relaxed. We also did a twilight dive, the colours were fantastic, very vivid and all the creatures are very active at this time of day. The drift diving was amazing, you can easily get 70-80 min dives that cover huge reefs and the current just takes you along for the ride….. Another point worth a mention, we rented a couple of tanks from Frank at Pepe's and did a couple of shore dives directly from the hotel. There is a well constructed concrete pier with steal steps to get in and out plus a ton of underwater life and activity. The current is very strong so you must swim north first and drift back otherwise you tire very quickly. We really enjoyed Cozumel; for us it was special and we will always have fond memories, here are a few recommendations for a nice stay.

We hired two Mopeds and toured the island twice, very safe and easy to get around, we used hotel to arrange the rentals and they were perfect.

The best meal for me was Lunch at ‘Playa Bonita’ the opposite side of the island. The Pescado A La Plancha was second to none, having lived in Spain for 5 years this was equal to the original. Our favorite upscale restaurant in town was La Cocay and for taste it was a Taco's restaurant which was directly behind the town square by 4 blocks, it was a local place with local folk enjoying the most tasty Mexican Tacos we have had, cheap and very cheerful but I cannot remember the name. We enjoyed drinks in nearly all the bars in town, no favorites they were all good. We were able to watch the Town Carnival that runs for 5-6 days in early March. It’s certainly an event to see if you are in Cozumel at that time of year….

I hope this info is usual, please share your Engagement experience or ask a question if you’re thinking of doing the same.

Leon Platts - NYC.

Congrats, that is way cool!:wink: Glad you had a good time and welcome to Scubaboard too.

Your proposal (especially caught on video) is so wonderful.

Congratulations!

We were able to watch the Town Carnival that runs for 5-6 days in early March.
Carnaval on Cozumel coincides with Mardi Gras (it's the same holiday), and while it was indeed in early March this year, it moves around every year and ranges from early February to about the 10th of March. Mardi Gras Day (aka Fat Tuesday) is the last day of Carnaval and is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which is 47 days before Easter. Easter, of course moves around with phases of the moon and stuff like that calculated by a formula that only the Catholic priesthood can comprehend. :D

EXCELLENT JOB MATE!!!

..how was her air consumption after that? :D

Awwww-that's one of the coolest proposals I have ever seen. Maybe it was the sweet background music playing that tugged at my heartstrings but it put a smile in my romantic heart. Well done, a beautiful way to bless your engagement and future life together. I wish you a great life! kev:D

Back
Top Bottom