Scuba gear stolen in Deerfield Beach Fl being sold on eBay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since that day, we have worked out a better system to assist recovery, without throwing away our $.

Something similar happened to us a while ago. Can you tell us about the system you are following now please?

You guys are way to nice. If it were my gear the guy was selling back he would have needed a wheelchair to leave the scene of the sale.

Disclaimer: I do not in any way encourage anyone to inflict bodily injury to another or seek any kind of retribution on the low life scum of the world beyond those limits expressed under the law

My brother was in a similar situation with some expensive musical equipment (minus insurance being involved). He showed up with friends to "look" at stuff. Identified by showing initials carved in equipment. Told guy he was going to call the police, guy left willingly.

Now in this specific case I would think getting the police involved first would be smart. Then I'm sure the insurance company would be curious to know, maybe they would pursue the thief in a legal manner??

If the insurance company has paid the claim, then the victim no longer has standing to prosecute for the loss. The insurance company may not be prosecuting, as they often have minimum dollar amounts for which it is worth pursuing prosecution. I'm sure the OP could chip in and clear this up. Still reprehensible, but it is how the insurance and banking world views our losses when they pick up our claims.

I was horrified to read of the theft. I realize it happens all the time, but still sucks! I check out eBay all the time and will keep an eye out for the user names provided.
My wife recently had her purse, camera and other items stolen from her car, in our driveway. We are trying to be optimistic that the "suspect" will be caught...we even have surveillance pictures of the punk using my daughter's gift card she received for Christmas. Best of luck to all those who were victimized and hope they catch the fool...

There is a point in this whole story that does not fit.
The first victim received the money from the insurance company for the stollen gear. Sometime afterwards the victim finds the stollen gear on sale in e-bay.
He makes the arrangement to "buy" the gear to the e-bay seller. He files a reclamation to the police, e-bay, and "his" gear is given back for no money.
??? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. NOTHING was given back to any of the owners, me included, for 'no money'. I bought back (part of) my stolen gear with the insurance money. I alerted the police originally when some appeared on eBay, then again when the rest did, and they did nothing. I alerted eBay - they did NOTHING.
Now the victim has his original gear back with him and also the money from the insurance company.
Nope. Not at all the case. I have (some of) the gear. The fence / pawn shop owner has the money. I would love to have the rest of the gear back, but two Apeks first stages never appeared on eBay, and I bought back my canister light on eBay only to have the fence cancel the transaction.

I know some rough people down in Miami... For a small fee they will do just about anything. Im a little short on shark bait... Anybody else need some? LMAO.

It has been my experience that only thing that the cops are good at is filing the report for your insurance claim. Don't expect them to actually care or do anything about the stolen property.

My neighbor had their bike stolen, no insurance or anything, found it a few weeks later at someones house. Called the cops, said they could do nothing and if we go take it back, then charges can be filed against the original owner.

Regarding police action. In the us you can't arrest folks relying on one party's story. Gotta have evidence. In the case of this dive gear, it appears evidence was lacking. Even though you KNOW the guy stole it, unless it can be proven, police can't do much. And believe me in today's legal environment, "reasonable doubt" has become " any doubt".

It's a criminals playground out there

Back
Top Bottom