Scuba Pro (UWATEC) IR Download Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hope this will help those of you whose IR download for Galileo Sol, Luna, and SmartTec no longer works.

First off, I used both Windows and Mac's, so this solution may not work for a lot of folks. As of this date Windows 10 does not support IR data transfers. So my solution involves transferring Windows SmartTRAK data to a Mac with an Intel chip set.

I found two dive log software programs for the Mac that support IR data transfers: Jtrak (Scubapro product), and DiveLog DT. Both programs work fine, but DiveLog DT looks a bit more powerful and seems more similar to SmartTRAK.

The conversion to Jtrak is quite simple. Select all your dives, and export them in the travel format (TravelTrak CE). Then simply follow the directions to import.

The conversion to DiveLog DT is a bit more complicated. Dives need to be exported into the DAN 7 format. This format has several requirements you need to be aware of: 1.) Only computer logged dives can be exported (no manual inputs); 2.) Only one dive computer at a time can be exported; and 3.) Comment and note fields will not convert.

I had approximately 800 dives on my Galileo Sol and SmartTec dive computers, so I had to do two exports. All but six dives converted. The non-converted dives were either made on a loaner dive computer, or were downloaded from my backup computer after my primary failed.

Lastly, the $6.00 IR dongle I purchased in 2005 for my Windows computer would not work on my 2015 Macbook Pro or 2015 iMac. So I bought the expensive Scuba Pro dongle, and it communicated with my Galileo just fine.

As I mentioned, I use both Mac and Window's computers, and feel both systems have their pluses and minuses. With Windows 10, however, the removal of the IR stack, plus the personal data harvesting (and yes, it still takes place even after the four privacy toggles have been turned off by using Cortana and the Feedback and Diagnostic routine) have moved me more over to the use of Apple devices.

Hope this helps some of you,

Dan

Or, just keep a PC on Windows 8.1 or below.

Yes, this resolves the IR data transfer issue, but not the data harvesting by Microsoft. Windows 7 and 8.1 now have data mining similar to Windows 10 taking place, thanks to four recent updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249, and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149.

Also not a productive solution for folks who have purchased new Windows computers. Hopefully Scuba Pro will come up with a solution, but it has been a number of months since this issue arose.

Or, just keep a PC on Windows 8.1 or below.
VirtualBox and WinXP-7-8.1 inside, installed under Win10
my Belkin(Sigmatel) IRDA usb key is correctly detected.
cheaper than a Mac.

Actually, we don’t recommend using the DAN 7 format for any kind of “conversion”. This format is good for DAN and what it was originally intended for (their research), but it’s really NOT a good format for transferring dive information. The DAN 7 format doesn’t include Location information like Dive Site and doesn’t include much other than the basic profile information.

For people who are changing from Windows to MacOS, we offer a “one time” logbook conversion for them. Just send us your SmartTrak (slg) file and we will send you back a DiveLogDT compatible (sql) file with all (or most) of the information in it. We use Sven’s Diving Log 5.0/6.0 to do the conversion for you and make sure that things are “linked” so that Statistics etc will work. (Again, not possible with DL7 format)

So, if you send us your original slg file, we’ll send you back an sql file - you can use it as your new “real” logbook and just IMPORT needed dives from the file you have now, or vice versa. But I think you’ll be much happier doing it this way than the DL7 way.

Also, if you're in North America, we have a link to a known working IrDA dongle that is cheaper than the "official" ScubaPro one:
More Mobile Software

If you have an existing one, send us the information about it and we'll help you figure out whether or not it will work with DiveLogDT. We'll help you figure out what it's USB "Vendor ID" and "Product ID" are and whether it matches the ScubaPro one. Since DiveLogDT includes all the "drivers" it needs to talk to the dongle and you don't install any other external drivers, the hardware needs to match.

As always, let us know if you have any questions - we're happy to help.
Janice
More Mobile Software

Last edited:
false

comment from the supplier : Will not work on Macs or Windows 10 Yet

Are you referring to something in my previous post as false? Could you please be more specific as to what you're referring to. What supplier of what?

Janice

Not sure what DuboisP is referring to, but the IR dongle and software work fine on Mac's with Intel chips. (C'est vrais, il funcionnais très bien).

Janice: thanks for the conversion information. It might be good to include this in the import documentation: I did not see any reference to converting .slg files. Will shoot mine up to you (might even drive it up since I am in Mukilteo)!

VirtualBox and WinXP-7-8.1 inside, installed under Win10
my Belkin(Sigmatel) IRDA usb key is correctly detected.
cheaper than a Mac.

false

comment from the supplier : Will not work on Macs or Windows 10 Yet

morejanus, I suspect DuboisP replied to the person above. You just happened to post a bit sooner.

falsecomment from the supplier on Amazon: Will not work on Macs or Windows 10 Yet
Actually, DuboisP has now updated the original post to indicate that (he) *was* referring to my post and to the IrDA dongle.DuboisP - don't let the facts, an explanatory post, nor the developer of the software interfere with your personal opinion. Please stop helping. Really.From my original post:
Since DiveLogDT includes all the "drivers" it needs to talk to the dongle and you don't install any other external drivers, the hardware needs to match.
Hence, it doesn't matter that the hardware supplier does not provide any software/drivers - they are not needed or used if you are using DiveLogDT. And they never have been. That's a feature and the point.Janice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom