SCUBA Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew no pix of my gf mom ....... pervs jk

ew no pix of my gf mom ....... pervs jk

And you're the one trying to flash pics of a 16 yr old to grumpy old diver guys on the internet, what's that make you?

Ha ha ha, just like my 17 yr old daughter she wears too much eye liner!

my octopus XD seacamp joke

check out the women's forum about makeup while diving. lol. i say.... go back with the "x" :D but it's up to youuuu

Pics aside, a serious question - do instructors have to continually renew their certs? Looking forward to taking additional certifications, but with limited dive shops in the area it's hard to know if you are getting a 'good' instructor. Getting the opinion of other novice divers is hard to judge - after all, they don't have a lot to judge the performance against. Getting the opinion of advanced divers is also with a grain of salt - chances are they weren't trained by the instructor or have the direct experience with that instructor in that regards/

The instructor who certified me ended up quitting shortly after because he didn't like the "responsibility" of caring for new divers - fair enough - and while I am 100% comfortable in the water I often wonder if I was trained by a good instructor, an average one, or an uncomfortable one.

The short answer is no. The agencies only require that their membership dues and insurance stay current. Now one of the local shops I work with has the owner come out and observe classes on occasion to make sure their instructors are still performing like they should. That is just something that shop does though.
The best thing you can do is ask everyone you can and get all their opinions and try to judge from there. You can also find out when the instructor is doing a class and pop in by the pool to see how they teach. Unfortunately with limited shops in the area you might have a hard time finding a qualified instructor you are happy with. You might want to plan a trip and make part of your trip a dive training session. Plenty of shops offer classes just for that type of scheduling. Plus you get an awesome dive trip out of it.

IT is a sad true fact. The local boats at Riveria marina look at the names on the back of the cards and you can see the look on their faces of "Good Instructor" Or oh crap.. is he/she still churning out C cards..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom