Scuba risk factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok - achieved No 1, dabble with No 3 (at least according to my doctor :D) but managed to avoid the rest - planning to complete my advanced course before I'm 50 next March - so what's the odds, 10 to 15 years of quality diving ahead or more ?

Surely a fit and active 50 year old is still at less risk than a couch potato of 30 something as we so often see these days?

P

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are very few old and bold divers. :D:D:D

At 31, I definitely dive more cautiously than I did at 21. Hopefully, older divers have a natural cautious behaviour that will keep things more conservative, versus a perfect, young specimen that will dive wrecklessly and dangerously....so older divers could be safer.

However, anyone that says scuba is a safe sport is LYING! But so many things are dangerous in life including swans, vending machines and accidental gunfire, we might as well stay at home on the couch...oh wait...muscle atrophy, tv brain rotting, sheer boredom....no place is safe.

One of the leading causes of death is heart disease. It's going to happen to many of us above the water and if it happens below the water... oh boy. So, we need proper rescue training at all levels because there's no avoiding it.

Also, fitness in diving is not taught well during basic diver classes. Divers and non divers need weight training and aerobic fitness activity for at least 20 min, 3 times per week. And regular physical checkups....and if you smoke, I bet a million bucks your doctor is going to say it's hazardous to your health... I'm psychic.

I've had some wonderful dive buddies in their late 70s and I'm sure it doesn't have to end there, but we have to hope for good genes and take of ourselves

There is another thing to remember about statistics. When you take the total number of incidents in a large population and then distribute it across the entire population as a percentage, you can get very misleading results if you try to use that percentage as a probability.

For example, let's pretend (I don't have actual numbers) that 100 American men die of a heart attack while shoveling snow each year. We can divide that number by the total number of American men and determine that on average, every American man has a certain percentage likelihood of dying of a heart attack while shoveling snow. In reality, people living in Florida have zero chance of dying while shoveling snow, and people living in Minnesota have a much higher probability.

In Scuba, we know that the likelihood of getting decompression sickness on a dive is incredibly small, rounding off to 0%. For the vast majority of divers, though, the probability is even less than that. There are divers who push the limits and are on the edge frequently. World famous diver Richard Pyle, whose dives are often between 300-400 feet deep, has had two very serious cases of DCS. Among the divers I have dived with who do very deep dives at high altitude, I know of 6 DCS cases, yielding a percentage far above that probability. In contrast, people who do all their diving in the 30-35 foot depths of John Pennecamp State Park in Florida have pretty much no chance of ever getting DCS.

There is another thing to remember about statistics. When you take the total number of incidents in a large population and then distribute it across the entire population as a percentage, you can get very misleading results if you try to use that percentage as a probability.

For example, let's pretend (I don't have actual numbers) that 100 American men die of a heart attack while shoveling snow each year. We can divide that number by the total number of American men and determine that on average, every American man has a certain percentage likelihood of dying of a heart attack while shoveling snow. In reality, people living in Florida have zero chance of dying while shoveling snow, and people living in Minnesota have a much higher probability.

In Scuba, we know that the likelihood of getting decompression sickness on a dive is incredibly small, rounding off to 0%. For the vast majority of divers, though, the probability is even less than that. There are divers who push the limits and are on the edge frequently. World famous diver Richard Pyle, whose dives are often between 300-400 feet deep, has had two very serious cases of DCS. Among the divers I have dived with who do very deep dives at high altitude, I know of 6 DCS cases, yielding a percentage far above that probability. In contrast, people who do all their diving in the 30-35 foot depths of John Pennecamp State Park in Florida have pretty much no chance of ever getting DCS.

I will concur that statistics can be manipulated to say a lot of things.

We don't know how many divers are actively diving in the world, so it's impossible to get truly accurate percentages regarding the accident rate, death rate, and which demographic is most susceptible.

The numbers that are available does state that the incident rate goes up with age, my guess is due to heart disease. Having listened to too many speakers, chamber techs, symposiums, etc...one can only discuss these topics with a bit of humor because we are all at risk. Usually, the ones of the end of the spectrums---the true novices with only a few dives and the true professionals with thousands of dives statistically have the greatest risk.

"Death doesn't just take someone it misses someone else." Whether, they call it 'unexpected DCI', 'unpredictable DCI', 'undeserved DCI', the reports are clear, you don't have to be a daredevil diver to suffer an injury, or a deep diver, or a multiday diver, wreck diver, nitrox diver, computer diver....etc.

The numbers change from year to year, I feel on average, and these are not clear cut, that about 1000 divers per year suffer symptoms of DCI, and about 100 divers per year will have a fatality perhaps triggered by an event that occured while diving, perhaps unrelated to any known health condition or error on anyone's part. While these are just averages...If you collected the info from only what DAN knows of the last 10 years, I'm willing to bet it's pretty close.

So, whatever the percentages, people are still suffering and there's risk. If there was no risk, we could move to have all Key Largo operators conducting relatively shallow water dives, do away with Waiver of Claims, Indemnity Agreements and Assumptions of Risk, plus have pay less for liability insurance.....

Why are any of us teaching in cold water below 40 feet? :D

oh, I also know that 100% of people die....so whether they do it diving or sleeping or in a car, it happens.

I have a friend who's 68 and still dives with his dad ... his dad's my role model ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fitness in diving is not taught well during basic diver classes. Divers and non divers need weight training and aerobic fitness activity for at least 20 min, 3 times per week.

I was fortunate to go to a diving school that made swimming an important part of the OWD training, pushing us to stay fit.
Besides, I did the S&R course with them, and the rescue exercises were always challenging from the physical requirements. I had to enhance my swimming to be ready for this challenging course (in this school).

Considering that a 45+ year old is statistically at greater risk while napping on a couch than a 20 year old, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we are also at greater risk while diving.

I assume that the risk factor of age is based on the very real statistic that the average age of divers who suffer fatalities is greater than 45.
I'm not sure this is a safe assumption. A smart statistical analysis might very well have determined age to be a risk factor independent of the health concerns often associated with advancing age. A competent one would have at least corrected for the age demographics of divers. We don't know, based on the original post, but it would be interesting to see where SDI got its information from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom