Scuba risk factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the OP should clarify what those risk factors are for...
Mortality?
Morbidity?
DCS? (Type I? Type II?)
Arterial gas embolism?
Heart attack?
Stroke?

It's difficult to assess the meaning of a "risk factor" unless it's attached to a specific outcome/observation/phenomenon.

It's difficult to assess the meaning of a "risk factor" unless it's attached to a specific outcome/observation/phenomenon.

Exactly, is a 60 year old diver with 1000s of dives at greater risk of accident or injury than a 20 old diver with a handful of dives? Experience and skill may count for something. That is not to discount fitness, which is too often neglected, but there are multiple ways to get into trouble. Skill in diving usually has experience as a prerequisite, but it takes ongoing practice and ongoing effort as well.

Exactly, is a 60 year old diver with 1000s of dives at greater risk of accident or injury than a 20 old diver with a handful of dives? Experience and skill may count for something. That is not to discount fitness, which is too often neglected, but there are multiple ways to get into trouble. Skill in diving usually has experience as a prerequisite, but it takes ongoing practice and ongoing effort as well.

One of the greatest risk factors is attitude. The diver who is complacent or who knowingly exceeds their training will significantly increase their risk of an accident regardless of age, fitness level or experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I want to control all risk factors I can. I keep my equipment in good repair and properly maintained. I dive in conditions that are appropriate for diving, with the equipment appropriate to those conditions. One piece of equipment is my body, and so that needs to be properly maintained as well. Another is my mind- and it needs to be maintained with the proper knowledge of how to use my equipment, how to plan and carry out (and lead) a safe dive, and my mind needs to be sharp and clear enough to recognize and resolve risk factors and risk situations. I think that's what NWGratefulDiver is talking about with respect to attitude. Put bluntly, incompetent or reckless divers of any age are at greater risk than the rest of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom