ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver solo diver considering going I am wondering how the dives are organized. I mean are boats just going to be scheduled and we need to figure out ourselves who dives with whom Are big groups going to be all diving the same spot together? Do you think this is going to sell out the monring of Aug 30? Thanks in advance
As part of the Package there 20 boat dives planned, 6 days of 3-1 tank dives per day and 2 -1 tank night dives with shore diving during shop ours.
We will be diving in groups of 10 based on diver experience and each dive team will have their own DM. We put 2 dive teams of divers per boat for the day. Dive teams will rotate boats with their DM throughout the week. Dive sites are planned so everyone get to do the best sites.

So no we will not all be diving at the same site together.

Yes, I do think it will sellout in the morning and we will most likely have a waiting list by the end of the day.
Last Invasion to Roatan 2017 we had 83 members and this time we currently have only enough room for 76 people.

Which one of the reasons we are not having any single rooms.
This event is also much more popular now then back in 2017.
We had 105 members this past June in Cozumel you do the math.

Looks like all 3 room types have A/C. Probably a consideration in Honduras in June. The first 2 look similar in size and features but are either on the hillside or the "key" (waterfront). The 3rd one is on the key and bigger.

Question for people who have been there before, considering where these bungalow locations are relative to where we would go for boat dives or shore dives and the dive shop, can you speak to this? It looks like the key locations require a water taxi to go back and forth to the main island?

I'm not seriously handicapped but I am a disabled veteran with some knee and ankle issues so trying to get a feel for ease of access to and from wherever I go.
The water taxi, by the end of the week last June, was a problem WRT knee, hip and back. It can be a long, unstable step up/down/into/out of the boat. Usually there were a bunch of folks that thought it a good idea to immediately go to one side of the boat when loading or off loading making it less stable still. Frankly, a hillside room with 5,000 steps up is preferable to ANY accommodation out on the key. I would be inclined to refuse any further trips to AKR if it involved staying out on the key.

I’ve read the hill rooms are 60 steps up from the dock, what’s that like?

Will or is the resort’s new restaurant, which is not on the hill, be operational for the SB trip?
The hill climb is not that bad. Much preferable to the sandy trek on the key (would not likely ever stay on the key again). And if you're on the hill, there is really no up/down for the chow hall either. A couple of steps.

The new chow hall? Open? Last year about this time, it was going to be open in Octubre. Maybe Thanksgiving, but for sure by the end of the year. And this past June it was going to be open by US Independence day. You are really going to have to hammer them down to a specific year. Besides, with the new chow hall, you lose the lovely signature view.

OMMOHY

The hill rooms require a short boat ride to the dive dock locations. The hill rooms also have ALOT of steps so key room probably best suits you

Flat out wrong: the hill rooms DO NOT require a boat ride to the dock. Straight down the stairs, cross the driveway and the dive lockers are on your left, EAN shed a few steps further down on the left, and dive boats a couple steps to the right. The KEY rooms OTOH ... those require the boat ride.

OMMOHY

All room at Anthony Key have AC
Hmmm... news to me. Last year I was reserved in an un-airconditioned room until they had a couple of no-shows.

Also news to some of the folks there several weeks back (this last June) that I talked with daily that were bunked in non-AC units as part of their group's outing.

OMMOHY

Hmmm... news to me. Last year I was reserved in an un-airconditioned room until they had a couple of no-shows.

Also news to some of the folks there several weeks back (this last June) that I talked with daily that were bunked in non-AC units as part of their group's outing.

OMMOHY
All the rooms we have reserved have AC.

Does AKR only book one-week stays? I would be interested in coming in one day early, because I like to relax and settle in before the first dives. Of course, I know it would depend on availability (and if it's even allowed there).

Adding ... hopefully they do because it looks like if I leave home on Saturday, I can't get there until Sunday. But if I leave on Friday, there is a direct flight. Or I'll stay somewhere else on island,

Does AKR only book one-week stays? I would be interested in coming in one day early, because I like to relax and settle in before the first dives. Of course, I know it would depend on availability (and if it's even allowed there).
They usually run week to week. We couldn't even offer an additional week's stay as they are completely sold out before and after our event.

They usually run week to week. We couldn't even offer an additional week's stay as they are completely sold out before and after our event.
Okay, thanks! I've only been there once (Coco View), and still want to check out the West End area, so I can do something like that for a night or two.

You need to come up with a story about how aliens implanted one of those mind control parasites that cling to the base of your brain. :D
Be careful about making up stories . . .

There are a bunch of folks in my hometown who believe I was actually bitten by a shark in Cozumel. I went to an acting workshop and we had to come up with a 90 second story. So I wove together a story about the Cozumel dive with the 3' shark in a spongue and my recent sarcoma surgery which left a divot in my arm with stitch marks that look like Dr. Frankenstein's creation.

I got to the point in the wild tale where the shark bit me and everything went black. The punch line was supposed to be waking up in recovery thinking that it was ingenious for the Cleveland Clinic to hire tumor-sniffing sharks to remove my sarcoma, but that I wish they wouldn't have hired Dr. Frankenstein to stitch it up.

Unfortunately, my timing sucks, and time was called just as the shark bit me. Several people asked me exactly where the shark attack occurred so they could avoid it . . .

Back
Top Bottom