ScubaBoard TOS on Harassment and Cyberbullying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funrecdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It seems one user continues to register as various user IDs and continue their harassment even after banned from a thread. These "one post abusers" who register an id to simply launch their attacks should be banned from the board immediately, not just from one thread. Adhering to the SB TOS is not a request, it is a basic term of service for usage.

From the SB ToS:

Terms of Service Definition: Cyberbullying

ScubaBoard has long been known as one of the most friendly forums on the internet*. Here you can find Scuba Divers from novice to expert sharing experiences and helpful hints. We like it like that, and you have our word that we want to keep it that way. Unfortunately, we have recently encountered a growing phenomenon amongst our membership that has marred our happy place. We call it cyber bullying and it comes in many forms. Here are a few ways that have come to light recently:

• Thread Hijacking: Derailing a thread with a lot of off topic banter. We have the Pub for that kind of activity.
  • Stalking: Following a member from thread to thread to humiliate, embarrass or otherwise cajole a member in order to make them feel unwelcome.
  • Dog Piling: Joining others in such a manner as to make a member feel threatened and unwelcome.

You can be sure that we are working hard in order to resolve this matter. Some of the people involved are long time and valued members and we are perplexed by their behavior. It could be that they don't see how it affects others and are simply doing it to have fun. It could be that they truly resent these few who are targeted and want to see them leave. Really, it doesn't matter why they are doing it, it just needs to stop and stop immediately. So, how are we going to do this? We need your help! If you see any of these patterns don't try to intervene! First, be sure to stay out of the fray. Second, show some compassion and hit the Bad Post button. Then we can step in and resolve the matter hopefully in a peaceful manner. Finally, please show us some patience. We don't want to lose anyone over this. As I said earlier, most involved just don't realize what they are doing as they are normally friendly people! Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this. Let's commit ourselves to making and keeping this the friendliest forum on the internet. Friendly, and yet oh so relevant.

*Note: Except for the Thailand forum, which has a long reputation of posters who violate the TOS and harass others. January 2010 reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/319472-attention-thailand-members.html

Use the report button and action will be taken.

Use the report button and action will be taken.

No... action is taken "occasionally", when we are lucky.

User reporting does not work here because of the TZ difference and the fact that the moderators are not active in Thailand.

This forum needs to be actively moderated in the same timezone so people can post a trip report without being harassed relentless by one or two people who register new user ids after the are banned from threads, and then from the board, then they do it all over again.

I repeat, user reporting does not work in this forum. In addition, when you report, then you are harassed for reporting, so what is the point?

Threads are constantly hijacked and just about every SB TOS is violated repeatedly and consistently by a handful of people who create new IDs to launch their attacks. It is impossible to post an objective trip report because when we do, unless we say "the water was so pretty, the dive center was so nice, etc" then the customers who post there real experiences are harassed off the board. This is the most abusive forum I know of!

Recently it was newly created user id Thai_Diver and after it was banned, then Scuba_dooby_doo was immediately created an began attacking. After that ID was banned from a thread, it begins attacks from new thread. This needs to stop and the only way to stop is is proactive moderation. User reporting obviously does not work, so don't blame it on the users. Get some moderators active here!

Where is the freedom of speech?
Why take things so incredibly serious?
Why ban posters who show some teeth and think differently?

Before you know it we will have an extremely boring SB.

Cheeze-whiz, recdiver, if you dislike this forum so much, why don't you go elsewhere? You whine about the conjecture in the incidents threads, and you gripe about the mods, and now you are biotching about the TOS.

How about YOU stop all the slander and just hit the freaking report button? If you don't like the thread, stay out of it. Think about it -- if no one else is having a hissy fit, maybe it is just you.

Where is the freedom of speech?
Why take things so incredibly serious?
Why ban posters who show some teeth and think differently?

Before you know it we will have an extremely boring SB.
Expression of freedom of speech must remain within the boundaries of the TOS.

The staff takes the TOS quite seriously.

Show all the teeth you want, take an occasional bite, think as differently as you desire, no problem. All that can be done within the TOS.

ScubaBoard moderators follow and enforce the ToS. I have not seen new users sign in on the Thailand forum today to abuse anyone. I will be diving this weekend, so please use the
report.gif
bad post button and be patient. We are looking to add a moderator or two in the asia time zones, but it's sure to not happen today or tomorrow. Patience is a virtue that few people take the time to develop. Please consider this on the job training.

FWIW, I will be moving this to Site Support where it belongs.

It seems one user continues to register as various user IDs and continue their harassment even after banned from a thread. These "one post abusers" who register an id to simply launch their attacks should be banned from the board immediately, not just from one thread. Adhering to the SB TOS is not a request, it is a basic term of service for usage.

If you suspect one user of having multiple ID's, use the report button to bring it to our attention and we will research it and take the appropriate action. Unless you have concrete proof that this is indeed the situation, I would encourage you not to make public accusations of such. False accusations could be considered a form of harassment as well.

*Note: Except for the Thailand forum, which has a long reputation of posters who violate the TOS and harass others. January 2010 reference:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/319472-attention-thailand-members.html

Since you joined our forum after this reference, I'm a bit skeptical of your knowledge of events. There were issues with a few posters, they were reported and dealt with quickly and things have been mostly quiet in that forum until recently.

Recently it was newly created user id Thai_Diver and after it was banned, then Scuba_dooby_doo was immediately created an began attacking. After that ID was banned from a thread, it begins attacks from new thread. This needs to stop and the only way to stop is is proactive moderation. User reporting obviously does not work, so don't blame it on the users. Get some moderators active here!

I did not "attack" you; I merely disagreed with your biased and inaccurate opinions! Just because we don't all bow down to the mighty funrecdiver you have no right to demand that we should be removed from Scubaboard. I find many of you rants and replies very arrogant and condescending. Maybe I should start hitting the 'Report' button!

You have that right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom