ScubaPro G250 Graphite - How old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raft,

Why not contact DA Aquamaster or Bluewaterdiving here on SB; make arrangements to have one of them service and upgrade your G250 the way you want it. Then, each service after that is a simple set of o-rings and a seat. After the service and upgrade, if you take good care of it, it'll go a long time before it requires parts again.

Couv

OK, sounds very reasonable. I could PM them, but will ask them on the forum if they are willing and how much? This way others can get the same info.

DA Aquamaster and/or Bluewaterdiving; if you don't want to reply on the forum and just PM me that's understandable.

You all can probably read between the lines, so I'll be totally open. What I would really like to do is learn PROPERLY to service the family's equipment. Partly because of the very high cost of labor, but MOSTLY so I know how the equipment really works and can deal with problems on-site.

I'm learning a lot via the forums and DO plan on getting both "Regulator Savvy" and "How to Maintain..." I do know it is working on life-support equipment and all that entails.... (sorry for all the disclaimers, around too many lawyers)

Thanks for all the help

Here are the photos. From what I understand this is pre-upgrade.

Attachments

• 100_0076[1].jpg
    100_0076[1].jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_0072[1].jpg
    100_0072[1].jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 266
Yep, it's the earlier (earliest?) version of the poppet. That's does not necessarily mean it's bad: not as good as the latest s-wing, but not bad. From here, I'd suggest:
  • If you haven't done any measurements yet, put it back together, lube the small o-ring well, invest a couple of bucks, jury rig a manometer, and see where we're at in terms of cracking pressure: it should be around 1 - 1.5 inch of water if all is well. Then decide if you could live without the latest and the greatest poppet. If no, next step:
  • Do as couv said and send it (them) out to the gurus for a service and retrofit of parts. That'll give you a baseline for the future.
81421d1282587128-r109-lever-height-manometer.jpg

It's not really an "upgrade" it's just a newer style poppet. Since you've got it apart already, why don't you just rebuild it yourself? Just get a rebuild kit and poppet on ebay if you don't have a local dealer that will supply you. The only thing left to take apart is the orifice that's in the threaded end of the tube. Look inside there and you'll see a slot for a screwdriver. Unscrew that, and then use a wooden or plastic stick (a chopstick works well) to push it out from the other end of the tube.

For about the same money you'd spend sending the reg off and getting it serviced you can buy the Vance Harlow book on regulator repair from airspeed press. Between that book and help from the peanut gallery here, you'll be fine. This is a very simple 2nd stage to service, that's one of the nice things about the older G250.

Looking at that poppet, it does look like the seat is replaceable, so you can gently dig that seat out and see if it looks like a little "rivet." If so, there's really no reason to replace the poppet, just get a current rebuild kit and replace the seat and the tiny o-ring that goes into the balance chamber.

Wow... didn't realize my G250 was that old... maybe I should have it serviced! Seriously, I was surprised since it has performed more or less flawlessly since I first started using it. I only have one graphite version plus three others.

From the looks of it, that poppet already has a replaceable seat.....the rivet seat Halo mentioned. You can get it along with the rest of the parts kit here. http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=549&zenid=t4jr6m8nls52b3p4u6fd49o503 Even if it turns out not to be replaceable, you haven't lost anything as you will need one sometime in the future should you get a new s-wing poppet. ....that's all been said before; but please take care when your reinstall the poppet as the orientation is critical. The little steps on the bottom MUST engage the feet on the lever. Install the lever first (no reason from now on to remove it, you'll only add to the chance of damaging it.) After you remove the orifice have a good look at it under a magnifying glass and strong light to ensure there are no nicks in the sealing edge. When you get everything put back together remember to hold the purge button down every time you make an adjustment to the orifice position or you'll engrave the soft seat.

Could I suggest that you ask a MOD to move your two threads (this one and the MK7) into the DIY section?

Thanks to all. The regulator has been set for appropriate cracking pressure, and I have had it completely apart at least twice. It needs a new seat as there is a small air leak (one bubble every 3-4 seconds). I'll look for the parts.

FYI, my LDS has the upgrade parts for $20 and will service it for an additional $25. If I can find the parts I need for substantially less I'll go that way, O/W I let them do it this time (unless they will just sell me the parts). And yes I have bought the "How to..." book by Vance H.

Lastly, I'm a forum newbie. How do I ask a Mod to move a thread?

45 bucks sound good to me, I'd go for it, especially if the LDS could find a lever too; yours seems to be an older one. Over here, the poppet alone costs about $20. Get the old poppet back, it may come in handy next time you want to upgrade a 109.

Where do the bubbles come from? 1st or second? If they come from the 2nd, can you stop them by turning the knob in?

Where do the bubbles come from? 1st or second? If they come from the 2nd, can you stop them by turning the knob in?

Bubbles come from the mouthpiece of the 2nd. Adjusting either the adj knob or the cracking pressure setting (OK I don't know the terminology yet) doesn't eliminate it. As best I can determine there is a very small leak between the poppet valve and seat. I haven't yet taken a magnifying glass the the business end of the 'poppet valve' yet, but will next time it comes out.

$45 does seem reasonable to me (but if I had to do this for all 12 stages in the family... ) and I plan on doing that. I do want my parts back - I can then replace the seat and use it as a spare. Since the particular LDS is where I'm taking my DM training they may actually let me watch. The worst they can say is no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom