Questions about G/S-series plastic barrel on Franken-reg.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So I just stumbled into this supposed G200, but it has a plastic adjustment knob (identical to ones seen on the G250HP and S600), as well as having the notorious grey, plastic air barrel.
After consulting via PM's with one of the forum's more knowledgeable members (instructor,tech), we've come to the conclusion that this 2nd stage is probably a G250HP, that's simply had a G200B front cover and purge button installed.
(edit: I've been reading that the 250HP didn't use the metal retaining clip on the flow vane, which this one clearly has, so now I'm thinking it's just a G250, that's had the front cover and air barrel substituted).
Overall, this piece is in excellent condition, inside and out, but unfortunately the plastic barrel has the (also notorious) crack where the metal threaded part screws into it.
I had fits just finding a photo of one on Google, but finally located one (an air barrel) at an operation in.....Singapore !! (and all for the low-low price of $50 bucks, plus shipping).
But, I'm understandably reluctant to drop the bucks on a part that is widely known to be problematic (plus, it appears the plastic barrel isn't original to this model).
I've spoken with Scubapro CS, as well as my local SP dealer, and predicatbly, I'm basically high and dry on this one (at least for any reasonable amount of money).
And, if anyone has any good suggestions on what to do with it (short of giving it a honorable, tear-filled burial at sea :D).
Pics below......
G200 2

G200 1

Last edited:
I would buy it, the s wing and balance chamber and diaphragm are worth the $50 alone.

I would buy it, the s wing and balance chamber and diaphragm are worth the $50 alone.
Hey man, I couldn't tell if you're offering to buy it, or suggesting that I do. But, I already have it, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what it is, and if it can be salvaged for anything reasonable (but i wouldn't necessarilly be averse to selling it,either, though I do have a G250 that is old and scruffy, and several of these parts are interchangeable).
Meanwhile, I just had me a brainstorm so I called Scubapro customer service not 2 minutes ago, and read the guy the serial number. But, he said it wasn't in their database, so he couldn't pinpoint the exact model (that it started out as being). He also confimed that the G200B definitely never had the grey plastic barrel, or any side adjusment knob.

I’m saying if I saw the deal and shipping wasn’t to much I would buy it, your G250, if it isn’t already equipped with the S wing poppet can use those parts just like one of my 109’s can.
If a metal air barrel can be found or another plastic one you can put together a good reg. If not the S conversion is $40 the diaphragm around $20, the jam nut could be used to rid an atomic 2nd of the comfort swivel hose saving $12, lever is worth a few bucks, adjustment knob?

Just saying there are enough parts to make it a good deal even if it can’t be saved.

Ok, copy that, thanks.
(edit:I'm leaning towards just trying to sell it for parts now.)

Last edited:
I believe there's someone in the market place looking for a new g series body

@Mark IV

I'm not guaranteeing this will work, but for the price of shipping I'm willing to send it to you. I think it came from a G250HP when they had metal air barrels.

PM me with your snail mail address.

air barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Wow !! thanks, bro !!! Switching to PM's, return message incoming.

edit: I've been comparing photos, and I'm thinking this should work out great!

Last edited:
Glad to help; keep us posted (with pictures if possible.) Good luck.

Couv

Back
Top Bottom