Sherwood SR-1 "Problems" - request for first-hand experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... yep, I seem to have that itch too... haven't gotten mine yet...

and no interest in the second stage either....
With Rob’s praise of the design and George sending the Drager coupled with SP‘s rumors of killing the MK 17 im looking for other ideas (like I’ll live long enough to wear out my 17’s)

Here is my real life story - had an SR-1 (Yoke) diving primarily cold waters of Great Lakes. Didn't have much issues and as I moved into tech, I changed to APEX DIN regs. The SR-1 became my travel reg but was also used by my son locally when we dove together.

We go on one of the charters and the first dive is to ~125 ft wreck; as we get to ~90 ft I hear a loud noise and the SR-1 used by my kid (he was 16 yo at the time) is free flowing violently. Not a build up free flow but gas is bursting out. No problem, gave him my primary (although he had a pony), closed his tank valve, wait a minute, reopen, looks fine. Keep the dive going but remain close to the line just in case. Finished the dive uneventfully and then we go to the next site. This time a wreck with a bottom at ~90ft.

We entered the engine room and my kid "thumbs" the dive. No issue, we get out and head back to the line. Then I see him deploying his pony. Looking at his gauge (attached to the hip D ring) I see he still has 1100 PSI so I think he wanted to practice pony deployment after he had that free flow before. Make our ascent with the safety stop and he goes first up climbing the ladder. I do my exit and take my time with my doubles and I see the kid and couple of guys messing with his tank. Apparently they could not take the reg off the tank because it would not depressurize. Bottom line, all LP ports stoped working (primary, backup regs, inflator for the wing, inflator for his dry suit) but HP ports still work hence I saw the pressure reading. After several hours water comes out (I guess got thawed away) of the 2nd stage.

Sent it to Sherwood quite upset (the reg shall fail by providing gas, not locking all ports) and eventually got an SR-2 as a replacement. The story I got back is that technician messed the service kit and installed O-rings in the wrong order. I was told that they updated the service kits by color coding o-rings after that. Still have the SR-2, use it for rec trips to warm water destinations, never had another problem and a fantastic breather. Said that, I don't think I would trust it again in cold water.

Indeed.......

Attachments

• P1110875.JPG
    P1110875.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 104
  • P1110877.JPG
    P1110877.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 97
  • P1110878.JPG
    P1110878.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 96
I’m finding the SR 1 interesting enough the I just bought an SR2, very nicely adjusted right out of the box, rock steady IP, it going to curaçao with me this week for more intensive testing. It really seems to be one of the better “new“ regulators out there.

Some pics of the used SR 2 second stage and the size of the first stage.
the second double adjustments, seems complicated but pretty simple, easy to set the cracking pressure to .8~ and seems stabile, very light.
0B233145-270C-4BC1-9436-BD5C37A1F156.jpeg

metal orifice that floats is a good design idea, works well with ample lube
0577E68F-23B3-44B0-9179-C1FE927B7AD6.jpeg

its about the same overall size as the MK 17 but slimmer, it has a swivel but I would love it if they offered a fixed end cap like the atomic Z, they didn’t seem to receptive to the idea :wink:
F176252A-64AF-4F9C-B92E-8265C2FEFA3F.jpeg

pretty hefty but yokes will do that.

60B05B6A-C957-4AA2-85BA-EE77573E187D.jpeg

internally the second stages are the same, I haven’t taken the SR2 first apart but the internals look to be the same. I’ll put A DIN on it after the trip and keep working it.

Attachments

• A602721A-2E21-46F6-BACC-BC4FF377B0E5.jpeg
    A602721A-2E21-46F6-BACC-BC4FF377B0E5.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 58
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom