Scubapro G250 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resurrecting an old thread....

Question in regard to the balance chambers. I have the G250 poppet upgrade kit. The balabce chamber (white) resembles the original in all dimensions. I also have some upgrade kits (individual pieces bagged together) that the balance chamber (black) has a longer neck, and the sides have chamfers in them (no, not the one poppet version, but the actual balance chamber). Does anyone know if there is an incorrect part here, or a reason for the dimensional differences? Both were secured as 109/156/G250 upgrade kits.

links to pictures of what I am talking about:

Scubapro Balance Poppet AND Balance Chamber GY FOR BAL ADJ S600 G250 ETC NEW | eBay

Scubapro Balance Poppet AND Balance Chamber WT FOR BAL ADJ S600 G250 ETC NEW | eBay

tia

resurrecting an old thread....

Question in regard to the balance chambers. I have the G250 poppet upgrade kit. The balabce chamber (white) resembles the original in all dimensions. I also have some upgrade kits (individual pieces bagged together) that the balance chamber (black) has a longer neck, and the sides have chamfers in them (no, not the one poppet version, but the actual balance chamber). Does anyone know if there is an incorrect part here, or a reason for the dimensional differences? Both were secured as 109/156/G250 upgrade kits.

links to pictures of what I am talking about:

Scubapro Balance Poppet AND Balance Chamber GY FOR BAL ADJ S600 G250 ETC NEW | eBay

Scubapro Balance Poppet AND Balance Chamber WT FOR BAL ADJ S600 G250 ETC NEW | eBay

tia

I'm pretty sure they are all compatible with the s-wing poppet.

The white balance chamber is the older version, black or gray being the newer version. As the Master pointed out, both are compatible, but you can do this test:

Stand the poppet on a glass or very smooth surface-seat down. With no metal spring installed, put the balance chamber over the stem and push down. The balance chamber should spring back up due to the pneumatic pressure that builds up in the poppet. If the balance chamber does not spring back up the probable causes are:
1. incorrect poppet stem o-rings
2. defective balance chamber.

I have both the white and the black ones, couldn't feel or measure any significant difference between them.
Some of them are over 20 years old, yet they still pass the test brother couv described above.

So, I "garage sale" picked a set of MK-10/G250 Graphite regs. They were serviced so long ago, they had the poppet w/ the steel rod. I cleaned out the cob-webs (literally, there were webs in them), replaced o-rings, greased them up, and re-assembled. One was like a dream, the other, well, I just couldn't stop a trickle leak, and the poppet was bottomed out. Thought maybe the other balance chamber was worth a try, but still no luck. Swapped levers, nope.... Finally decided to swap out the orifice (when I had it out before, the edge was perfect). I had noticed it was a brass one in this reg (other was stainless), and I happened to have a couple stainless steel ones in my stash. When I removed it, I suddenly noticed it was shorter....

Dang! The last service someone did installed the wrong orifice...... and they wonder why we do stuff ourselves....

Purrs like a kitten now... Cracks at just over an inch, and the venturi is so strong, it will freeflow (suck the diaphragm fully in) if you deep press the purge. Stops immediately of you cover/plug the mouthpiece. Might have to back it down a bit, but with the adjustment know, I have some leeway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom