ScubaPro 'Go" vs. Aqua Lung Zuma for Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Grrrrr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a great travel BC that would also be my primary, as I live in AZ and don't do much diving at home. I have never owned a BC before and have really only used the Mares rentals (can't remember the model) and a ScubaPro Glide Plus. I LOVED the ScubaPro, but it's too bulky for travel and very expensive. I haven't been able to find a lot of reviews for either BC mentioned in the header, but both have been recommended to me. I would set up either with an Air2 and pocket space isn't a HUGE issue, but weight integration is. With no wetsuit I dive 12lbs of lead shot in the Glide Plus. Thoughts? Other considerations?

I don't have either of the above but one of my friends has the ScubaPro GO and he loves his. Having said that, a couple I know bought Zumas and they swear by them as well. Both companies make quality products so you won't go wrong with either choice. If possible, I'd see if any of the local shops have them and try them on. Maybe get in a pool with them on as well. I do like the AIR II and have dove one since 91 when I was certified without issue. Wouldn't want to dive any other way.

Good luck with your choice but honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I dive the ZUMA with 12 pounds of hard weights with no problem. Have 50 or 60 dives on it and love it.

If you have a preference for either back inflate or jacket style bcd, that will make your decision easy. I love diving the Zuma, its like not having anything on.

I have a Cressi Travel Light, and I’m very happy with it. I bought it because I travel thousands of miles every year where I want to minimise the weight and volume. It is foldable with lock straps and can be packed in its own soft bag the size of a supermarket shopping plastic bag so you can take it as cabin baggage if you wish. As for all products it has pluses and minuses; however I find that the plus side outweighs the minuses with a large margin.

On the plus side:
Light weight approx. 2kg
Foldable in its own soft bag
2 large utility pockets
Plenty of D-rings and attachments
Integrated weights
2 tank straps
Snug soft fit
The prize is in the low end of BCD's

On the minus side:
The lifting capacity is roughly one size under, e.g. a medium size will have the same lift in lbs as most other BCD small size have, for comparison medium size Cressi Travel Light = 20.2 lbs, whereas small size Cressi Mens Aquaride BCD = 22.5 lbs, so you will be hanging low at the surface, you will just have your head above water, but that is something I can live with.

I have a Cressi Travel Light, and I’m very happy with it. I bought it because I travel thousands of miles every year where I want to minimise the weight and volume. It is foldable with lock straps and can be packed in its own soft bag the size of a supermarket shopping plastic bag so you can take it as cabin baggage if you wish. As for all products it has pluses and minuses; however I find that the plus side outweighs the minuses with a large margin.

On the plus side:
Light weight approx. 2kg
Foldable in its own soft bag
2 large utility pockets
Plenty of D-rings and attachments
Integrated weights
2 tank straps
Snug soft fit
The prize is in the low end of BCD's

On the minus side:
The lifting capacity is roughly one size under, e.g. a medium size will have the same lift in lbs as most other BCD small size have, for comparison medium size Cressi Travel Light = 20.2 lbs, whereas small size Cressi Mens Aquaride BCD = 22.5 lbs, so you will be hanging low at the surface, you will just have your head above water, but that is something I can live with.

I use the Cressi Travel Light as well. The review scubajo007 gave hits the nail on the head. If you dive in excessively cold water or use a lot of weight in warm water this may not be the BCD for you. But I travel for over 90% of my diving and love this BCD. I have over 50 dives on my Travel Light and haven't had any issues. There is a little discoloration on one of the pockets but I think this is from the rental truck in Bonaire. :)

If you have a preference for either back inflate or jacket style bcd, that will make your decision easy.
Agreed...

I believe the Zuma is made of material almost twice as durable as the Go - ScubaPro lists it at 290denier, I'm fairly certain the Zuma is 420denier - or maybe 460. Plastic d-rings on the Zuma. The Zuma is 1lb+ lighter than the Go. Tank straps are a wash - the Zuma has one plus a band that goes around the valve. The Go advertises two but if you look carefully only one cams, the top one is just a velcro positioning strap also. It also has a valve strap afaik.

Look really hard at a ScubaPro Lighthawk also. Back Inflate and equally light travel BC but out of 1000denier material. 2 real tanks straps also.SCUBAPRO - LITEHAWK If I didn't like Zeagle products so much I'd own one. LeisurePro is currently offering the non-Air2 version for $239 - I may have to buy one...LOL http://www.leisurepro.com/p-scplth/scubapro-litehawk-bc-black $425 w/Air2

Ultimate is your SP dealer right? Sport Chalet is an Aqualung Dealer or El Mar in Mesa <- my go to shop even though I live in Glendale.

I did two dives last Sunday with the newer model of the Aqualung Zuma. I used an AL80 with 10lbs of weight. I believe the newer Zuma uses a heavier material for the bladder than the original version.

The Good:
It is very comfortable, lightweight and minimilast in design. I hardly knew that I was wearing it.

The Bad:
It felt like the tank was slightly unstable on my back...kinda like it moved around a bit. I do a lot of maneuvering underwater to look for critters beneath rock ledges, platforms, structures, etc.

I will be purchasing one for my wife to use as her primary BCD. We only dive warm water and travel a lot. Will I buy one? Probably not.

We dive with GO's, our son uses a XXS Zuma. I really don't like the Zuma. It's too flimsy, lacks attachment points, one teeny tiny pocket, and getting the weight pockets into the bcd while on a tank is a major pain. It was the smallest weight integrated BCD we could find.

I love the huge pockets on the GO, getting the weights in is a breeze and lots of attachment points. The Zuma's inflator hose is detachable so it's easy to fill with water for cleaning, however the lower dump valve isn't (neither is the GO's) but the spring is rusting and there isn't anyway to replace, not that it owes us anything.

Our son will get my wife's GO when he's big enough, then mine. Probably both will happen in rapid succession, he's 13 at the moment.

That's funny, my experience with the Zuma is different than the above reviewers. It has zero tank wobble and does not shift on my body at all. I dont have any trouble putting in the weight pockets. Maybe it just fits me better. I do agree though if you want big pockets and lots of storage then you probably wont like the Zuma. It is more of a minimalisitic bcd. The Zuma actually uses heavier material for its bladder then the GO.

Back
Top Bottom