Scubapro Hydros Pro (sizing opinion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrddin

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for opinions. Due to lack of stock at LDS, I may order a BCD online. I have looked at the sizing chart and think I fall between a medium and a large. I have been out of the water for a long time, so before I order I thought I’d see if some of you more seasoned divers, or possibly someone in similar situation could toss a few opinions at me.

My size
5 foot 9 - tall
42 - (around belly button area) Waste a little smaller.
200 - 208 - ish weight
18 - shoulder to hip (good luck doing this one solo)
43 - Chest - also hard to do solo

Not sure what else to share, I’m not the most athletic person these days. But I do tend to drop to 190 ish when I am. However that’s not often these days.

I have included what I think is the sizing sheet. And I only dive warm water, but tend to find myself in 7mm more than 3/5mm. Most dives will be quarry based unless I manage to save up for a dive trip every so often. Also I try to dive light due to a bad back, so I’ll be on an AL tank.

Appreciate any thoughts. Just trying to save myself shipping it back if it doesn’t fit. Although both medium and large might work.

Attachments

• CBD41643-A97A-4C29-85A6-1CA36CE12A78.jpeg
    CBD41643-A97A-4C29-85A6-1CA36CE12A78.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 97
They run a little small. According to the chart, I am supposed to be L but when I got my L, it was a little tight. I replaced it with XL and it fits fine and would fit all types of thermal protection thicknesses now.

Thank you BoltSnap! This helps.

A comment about diving light so using an aluminium cylinder. In general for the same amount of gas. A steel cylinder and lead is lighter than an aluminium cylinder and lead. Using the chart at the bottom of this web page from DGX Faber F7-HP80 Cylinder w/Boot, Hot Dipped Galvanized

Weight. HP80 = 28.3. AL80 = 31.9
Bouyancy at 500 PSI. HP80 = -1.7. AL80 = +3.2.
This would mean the HP80 total weight is about 8 pounds less than the AL80.
The HP80 is short so can be a pain, and may not be right for you.

I am also interested in the answer.

A comment about diving light so using an aluminium cylinder. In general for the same amount of gas. A steel cylinder and lead is lighter than an aluminium cylinder and lead. Using the chart at the bottom of this web page from DGX Faber F7-HP80 Cylinder w/Boot, Hot Dipped Galvanized

Weight. HP80 = 28.3. AL80 = 31.9
Bouyancy at 500 PSI. HP80 = -1.7. AL80 = +3.2.
This would mean the HP80 total weight is about 8 pounds less than the AL80.
The HP80 is short so can be a pain, and may not be right for you.

I am also interested in the answer.
Thank you for this MarkA. I didn’t know. Seems like AL would be lighter. Very interesting. Now I’m leaning towards the HP80 as well. I’ll research.

5 foot 9 - tall
42 - (around belly button area) Waste a little smaller.
200 - 208 - ish weight
18 - shoulder to hip (good luck doing this one solo)
43 - Chest - also hard to do solo
I am a little shorter
34 [86cm] waist
176 lb [80kg]
chest 46 [117c], [I am wide for my height]

And I wear a size M , perfect for me in a 5mm wetsuit [no more drysuit diving for me].

Edit: I ditched the weight system and only dive with the simple harness, easy on/off and less clutter.

I am a little shorter
34 [86cm] waist
176 lb [80kg]
chest 46 [117c], [I am wide for my height]

And I wear a size M , perfect for me in a 5mm wetsuit [no more drysuit diving for me].

Edit: I ditched the weight system and only dive with the simple harness, easy on/off and less clutter.
Thank you Pressurehead. Your stats show you are a good fit for medium. I wish I still had a 34 inch waste :wink:

Appreciate your feedback.

I wish I still had a 34 inch waste
Ha, When I left the Navy after 20 years I was 29", too much easy living now.:acclaim:

Here is an older photo of my Hydros, now has a brass whistle and the extra ring next the cutting tool is now gone.
I have 2 B/Wings up for sale as this is my "go to rig" now, so easy for an old guy like me.
Thanks anyway.
20210813_090945.jpg

Ha, When I left the Navy after 20 years I was 29", too much easy living now.:acclaim:

Here is older photo of my Hydros, now has a brass whistle and the extra ring next the cutting tool is now gone.
I have 2 B/Wings up for sale as this is my "go to rig" now, so easy for an old guy like me.
Thanks anyway.View attachment 762022
Thanks for the pic! It seems like a good setup. I used to dive with a Zeagle Brigade. Loved it. But I sold it (kicking myself now)… I always wanted to try the backplate and wing. But I hear it takes a lot of Gus to get it setup, and I’m too OCD for that. I would never stop trying to tweak. I just want to toss my stuff on and get to the dive :wink:

So far I’m still thinking large is where I am headed. I’ll give it a few days.

I always wanted to try the backplate and wing. But I hear it takes a lot of Gus to get it setup, and I’m too OCD for that.
B/Wings are easy to setup, and mine are one piece harness.
I don't need a crotch strap with this and I love the trim pockets on this BC.
My trim is the same as my B/Ws

Back
Top Bottom