Scubapro Jetfin review from a splitfin user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I got certified 2011, I was interested in buying my own gear as I hate "wasting" money renting stuff. I read a bunch of fin reviews and was impressed with the split fin concept as well as the numbers generated as far as thrust and speed. I'm a tech guy by nature and I tend to gravitate towards the latest-greatest as opposed to the tried-and-true. So without trying them, I bought some Tusa Xpert Zooms for $75. I took them cruising in the Caribbean as well as to my local lake Tahoe. I never had any complaints and could always go as fast as others I was diving with. I could do a helicopter turn but was never able to fin backwards properly, which I figured was lack of technique. I thought I had made a good choice.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I had booked a dive trip for the Channel Islands and my son would be diving with my wife and I for the first time. I had most of the stuff to get him in the water but I had forgotten about fins. He actually fits my fins better than I do as his feet are a bit bigger, so I was looking for some new fins for myself. In the last two years I have hung out on Scubaboard and had read the split-fin vs paddle-fin arguments and I thought maybe now was the time to check out some jetfins, so I grabbed some from ebay for $35 figuring that I could sell them later if I didn't like them. I got a size Large, and for my size 9 feet in 6mil soft booties the fit is snug.

I have to say I like them even better than I thought I would. I thought I would find them more maneuverable but less thrust without kicking hard. I was doing boat dives with no significant current and they felt just as fast as the splits without the feeling of extra effort I expected. As far as maneuverability goes, they blew me away. One little wiggle and I would be turning. Helicopter turns were significantly easier and faster. Finning backwards was still a no-go however, so I guess I was right in that it was a lack of technique originally. They did not seem particularly heavy, but I'm comparing them to the Tusa fins, which are not a light fin either.

In short, if I had to recommend fins to someone, I would suggest trying the jetfins. I'll be sticking with the stiff paddle fins for a while now.

Regards,
Brian

Jets fins sucked in 1968, and they still do. Better fins than the Jet/Rocket used for overhead or technical diving include the Dive Rite EXP and the Mares Avanti Quattro.

Brian, thanks for the write up on your experience. I agree with you. I did like you going from splits to Jets back in 2005 and won't be going back, probably stick with my Jetfins until my legs fall off, after all I think they are more durable than I am. :) Love my Jetfins. They're not for everyone, just like some people love split fins and others hate them. To each their own, we can give our opinions and let others make their own choices.

Cheers.

In short, if I had to recommend fins to someone, I would suggest trying the jetfins. I'll be sticking with the stiff paddle fins for a while now.

Don't toss the splits. You'll want them after your joints are shot. (generally sometime after you're 55).

flots

I've been wanting to try a pair. I had no idea you could get 'em so cheap - I'll be perusing ebay shortly!

Don't toss the splits. You'll want them after your joints are shot. (generally sometime after you're 55).

flots

Granted that I'm still 30 years old, but when I'm frog kicking i don't feel any stress/strain on my knees...

I started cursing my Tusa splits after one encounter with a decent current. I think they're wonderful for the diving they're designed for - which is not the type of diving I do. I switched to Hollis F1/F2 fins and never looked back. Glad to hear your $35 investment paid off!

Granted that I'm still 30 years old, but when I'm frog kicking i don't feel any stress/strain on my knees...

The important part of that sentence is not frog kicking but 30 years old.

I detest split fins personally*, but permanent ankle damage people or people with hip replacements or little kids, ot little Japanese women, or etc etc.

Important note: There are pretty radical differences between splits though, to the point that it probably makes much less sense to group them together as opposed to 'paddle fins' which also have such radical differences that etc. etc.

*And yet I dove Atomic Splits for several years. TUSA splits, the ScubaPro Banana Splits, Oceanic splits are completely ineffective for me, to the point I would rather dive barefoot than use them. I find full foot snorkeling fins more effective than those brands of split fins.. But Apollo Splits and Atomic Splits are fine, though they suck for free diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom