Scubapro Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brules once bubbled...
Pfffft....all you BP/Wings zealots suck. :wacko: <snip large rant>

To Kemo, sorry for Hijacking your post. ;-0

Feel better now that you've got that off your chest?:wink:

Kemo - I too am a proud owner of a knighthawk-Its a great bc and I have been very happy with it! I have not noticed the tendency of the forward push at all,and have no complaints other than the smallish pockets(limited space for storage).
30 lbs is about the limit for the WI weights though-Im a big guy (bought an XL)6'4 275lbs so a weight belt was necessary for my cold water dives in a farmer john.
Get it, youll be happy with it!Its very well made and durable and fits me great!

I spent a couple of hours with the owner of my LDS and some equipment in the pool. He let me try a BP and wing, and I had tried a ScubaPro Jacket, just like everybody and their mother! :wink:

After playing in the water for a while, we sat down at the shop at around 10PM, and talked over a beer about the different options that were out there. I contemplated a BP and wings setup.. It looked cool, it was very configurable, it was Cheap.. It was all those things that the BP/Wing people said it was and more. But it was not what I wanted. I went with a more expensive Knighthawk. It felt good, It had plastic snaps - which I like - It had the real cool Padding that soaks up water and adds another 20 pounds of weight. It had the ditchable weights - (if I can only figure out how to ditch them in an emergency). :)

I guess what I am trying to say is.. Sometimes the best thing isn't the right thing. Ever use a wrench for a hammer because you were to lazy to walk five feet and grab the hammer out of the tool box.

There was _something_ to the Knighthawk that endeared it to me over a BP and Wing setup. One thing that the owner did not seem to know about is the need to trim a BP/wing. I think that was my main turn off. Without anyone to help me.. the effort was not worth the five feet. I went for the thing that has limited adjustability. (btw.. the owner tried to talk me into a BP/Wing)

Perhaps after a bit of diving I might switch.. But then again.. I might not. I am a VERY Lazy person. Perhaps I can invent something that would breath for me.. Nah.. too much effort.

:D

That's pretty funny. Sanctimonious and innacurate but funny.

Going to get off your high horse now?

Windwalker once bubbled...
I spent a couple of hours with the owner of my LDS and some equipment in the pool. He let me try a BP and wing, and I had tried a ScubaPro Jacket, just like everybody and their mother! :wink:

After playing in the water for a while, we sat down at the shop at around 10PM, and talked over a beer about the different options that were out there. I contemplated a BP and wings setup.. It looked cool, it was very configurable, it was Cheap.. It was all those things that the BP/Wing people said it was and more. But it was not what I wanted. I went with a more expensive Knighthawk. It felt good, It had plastic snaps - which I like - It had the real cool Padding that soaks up water and adds another 20 pounds of weight. It had the ditchable weights - (if I can only figure out how to ditch them in an emergency). :)

I guess what I am trying to say is.. Sometimes the best thing isn't the right thing. Ever use a wrench for a hammer because you were to lazy to walk five feet and grab the hammer out of the tool box.

There was _something_ to the Knighthawk that endeared it to me over a BP and Wing setup. One thing that the owner did not seem to know about is the need to trim a BP/wing. I think that was my main turn off. Without anyone to help me.. the effort was not worth the five feet. I went for the thing that has limited adjustability. (btw.. the owner tried to talk me into a BP/Wing)

Perhaps after a bit of diving I might switch.. But then again.. I might not. I am a VERY Lazy person. Perhaps I can invent something that would breath for me.. Nah.. too much effort.

:D

Dude...chill out

Brules once bubbled...
Pfffft....all you BP/Wings zealots suck. :wacko:

I can understand advocating a certain piece of equipment, but you all take it to another level of fanaticism. Your attitude of looking down your noses at the rest of us for not subscribing to your BP/WIng religion turns ALOT of ppl away from it, and makes alot more resent you all for the way you beat it over everyones heads post...after post....after post.

For those of us who dive recreationaly, aren't techies, won't ever cave dive, and could really give a flip about the self proclaimed 10 comandments of the exclusive *DIR* crowd, allow us to ENJOY casual, recreational scuba diving OUR WAY. Even if it means using a BC that you deem to be beneath your tech God level of near nirvana perfection.

You BP/Wings people have poluted this particular forum (BCD's) so much, that when I browse posts in here, I immediately SKIP ANY post containing the words BP/Wing. I have heard it all before, and again....and again, and again. 1,000,000 times is enough.

I come here to read up on what ppl think about different BC's and gather information for myself and others. Not to hear that everything but a BP/WIngs sucks....over and over and over.

Now I am sure I will get my keister flamed, broiled and broasted :boom: over posting this, but I am sure that many others feel the same way. I just wish I could come here and read a post of someone asking about a BC and not have to see the eventual "It sucks, buy a BP/WIngs" that seems to be as certain as the sun rising in the east and seting in the west.

To Kemo, sorry for Hijacking your post. ;-0

Sounds like alot of people really like the Knighthawk. Scubapro makes really great stuff, and I am sure the same goes for their BC's. Their Classic is one of the all time greatest jacket BC's ever made. So if it feels good to you, go with it, and let us know how you like it. I was seriously considering a Knighthawk, but I liked the fit and feel of the Ranger better.

Brules

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
That's pretty funny. Sanctimonious and innacurate but funny.

Going to get off your high horse now?

Pie Iesu domine, <Wack> dona eis requiem <Wack>

Nah.. Its fun being on Horseback. Lets the horse do the walking :wink:

Now you said something I said was innacurate, care to enlighten us with your sunshine and tell us what? :D

Windwalker once bubbled...

Pie Iesu domine, <Wack> dona eis requiem <Wack>

Nah.. Its fun being on Horseback. Lets the horse do the walking :wink:

Now you said something I said was innacurate, care to enlighten us with your sunshine and tell us what? :D

When I first saw the Latin the 12 years of catholic schooling immediatly translated it (merciful Lord grant them rest) and I could not figure out what it had to with the subject. Then I realized it was Monty Python and I still fail to see the connection.

For one thing the saturated padding adding extra weight. Twenty pounds is quite a bit of an exxageration. That's an innaccurate and misleading statement.

Once again: Manufacturers are not idiots. They are scumbags (especially some of the folks I know at Johnson) but they are not idiots. They would not produce something unsafe because we live in an extremely litigious society.

I have made 12 dives so far this week. I plan on making at least 6 more this weekend. I find the Knighthawk to be extremely comfortable and stable to me. That is the most important thing not if the cyber-divers say it's cool or not.

I would have to agree with everything you said. The reason I quoted Monty Python was an answer to Sanctimonious. Since I can't "of course" agree that I am Holier then Thou! :wink: On the other hand. I have no problem making light of any situation or thing. Granted, the over-exaggerations I made about the weight release and the amount of water that the Knighthawk soaks up was plain wrong; I was in actuality, making a joke based off various flames from the BP/Wing crowd. Between you, me, and this horse I am on; I have the attitude that, if it works, and you like it, why care what anyone thinks! :)

As mentioned before, I also have purchased a Knighthawk, and I believe my decision was correct. :ninja:

You go Windwalker!

Even though you will most likely drown in your dangerous, tech wanna-be BC, with too many D rings and so much pading that you will sink from all the water you take on all because you couldn't figure out how to ditch your weights.....you go man!

I am glad someone else besides me has the cajones to dare agree with me.

:wacko:

And to all the h8rs, yes I feel better, and no, I didn't get the *humor* of Mr JeffG. Maybe he needs to go back to Stand Up school. :D

Brules

Brules once bubbled...
You go Windwalker!

Even though you will most likely drown in your dangerous, tech wanna-be BC, with too many D rings and so much pading that you will sink from all the water you take on all because you couldn't figure out how to ditch your weights.....you go man!

I am glad someone else besides me has the cajones to dare agree with me.

:wacko:

And to all the h8rs, yes I feel better, and no, I didn't get the *humor* of Mr JeffG. Maybe he needs to go back to Stand Up school. :D

Brules

1) If you look at the literature for the Knighthawk nowhere on it does it say it's a tech BC. It may appear to be one at first glance but it's marketed purely for the rec diver

2) It has 4 D-Rings total. That's not too many.

3)You can figure out how to ditch your weights if you practice with it. Familiarity with your equipment is essential

4) Prove that saturation of padding adds a significant amount of weight. It's an insignificant amount of weight added.
In a week I am probably in the water more than most of the cyber-divers on here. I can almost garuntee that there are some on here who only get the back of their head wet is in the shower (I know quite a few people like this in the real world.) Anyway, I feel NO difference in weight because of the padding.

It has been said on here that the BP/Wings is the perfect rig because it has not been reinvented every time like the stab jacket. The Scubapro Classic was designed in 1976 (I believe.) VERY little change has been made to that model. I compared a Classic Sport to the original stab jacket the other day. Except for the tank band design it's still the same damn thing except for some minor cosmetics (pocket placement has been refined quite a bit and it's no longer bright orange.)

A guy I know started diving in 1968 and has dove continously ever since. He has used a BP/Wing, stab jacket, horse collar, single BP with no BCD and everything in between. He prefers the stab jacket for his own pleasure diving. Are you going to tell a guy who is a NAUI Course Director (his number is in the low 4 digits,) trained thousands of students (including military and public safety divers,) has a few million dives under his belt in every condition imaginable and has been in the dive business for 30+ years that he is diving incorrectly. I don't think you can. His track record speaks for itself.

This is no knock on BP/Wings. If it works for you then it works for you. If someone is curious enough about them there is a wealth of information on this website alone. HOWEVER if someone wants to know about, oh say a Sherwood Avid, it is NOT an invitation for you to butt in with your preference.

If I ever get in tech diving I will be doing it correctly. Long hose, bungied octo, BP/Wings etc because this has been proven to work the best in the conditions the system was designed for.

Safe diving everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom