Scubapro Mk25/S600... Or wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I now follow a more conservative path (switched to MK-17's for 38 degree water once I had a family to be accountable for) respectfully, I feel any of the current regs can be successfully used (though I won't use them). I dove MK-10's (and maybe 5's) for years below the thermocline in Lake Erie (temps in the 30's - 40's), but watched "hot tuned" newer stages like the MK-20/25 succumb to the cold (or the diver). Drop the IP, stop tuning it on the edge, and you can "survive". Plastic seconds seemed to be a problem too, and I love my 109/156's.

Then again, I've also been dabbling in DH regs, and I am planning on using them in really cold to see if they are as great as stated (and I believe it to be truth).

YMMV

Would the mk25 evo be a better fit for a first stage?
In cold water probably because that's the difference between the two models. Or as they describe it:
  • Patented XTIS (Extended Thermal Insulating System) fully isolates the mechanical elements from the cold, increasing freezing resistance 30 percent over the previous MK25 without compromising breathing performance. Key insulation system components are visible in blue.
  • New spring insulating coating, body insulating bushing, anti-freeze cap, bigger body and cap thread all work in concert with the XTIS to improve cold-water performance.
  • Anti-freeze protection radically increases breathing reliability when diving in the most extreme water

Although Scubapro only lists the MK25 EVO on their website now so you might as well buy the latest model. Actually except for the Mk21 - which is their most recent model and has built-in low temperature capabiility or the MK11 - every model listed is an EVO now.

http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/regulators.aspx

at least that should be good for a discount on an "older" MK25....

You should also take a look at the MK21/S560. I was looking at the 25/600, and my lds owner told me I should really take a look at that instead. He said 90% of divers won't notice a difference, but it'll save you several hundred dollars. I ended up going with it, and I've really loved it. Main difference is the 560 is a plastic barreled version of the 600, and the mk21 provides enough air for like 20 divers at once while a 25 can feed 80ish (Scubapro did a demo with the 25)

So what would everyone prefer the mk17, mk25 or mk25 evo. I understand the mk17 is environmentally sealed, is being sealed really that much better?

Also I was looking into second stages and everyone was saying metal barrels add moisture to the air and plastic barrels make it very dry, Is that correct? If so I would have to go with metal barrels as my mouth can dry out sort of easily

When I asked the very best reg tech I know what regulator he would pick for performance and reliability he didn't hesitate, SP MK17. It's a very good reg. I have the MK14 which is one of the predecessors, been using it for 15 years and it continues to work great.

I do my own regs. When I open it up, it's almost like I didn't need to bother. When I open up my wife's MK20 (very similar to the MK25) the open piston arrangement always shows the effects of saltwater diving. We rinse immediately after diving, then a longer warm soak when we get home, so it's not like we abuse them. The piston reg definitely has some issues a diaphragm does not.

The moisture does not (much) come from the barrel. it comes from a metal body regulator. The metal barrel is more for (very) long term reliability. at least people think it will last longer. You exhale warm moist air into the metal body, some of it condenses on the metal, (like fogging a mirror), then you get a......little.....back on the next breath. You can't much fog plastic. That little bit is better than nothing at all.

Sherwood has the Oasis with metal vanes inside a plastic body to do exactly the same thing. For moisture re-delivery any metal body will be better than a plastic body.

In spite of their heralding the improved performance of the MK25 in cold water I certainly would not choose it for REAL cold water diving.

Last edited:
My two choices for cold water are:

SP MK-17
HOG D1-Cold

add to that a double hose, but it's way out there on the "acceptance curve"...

YMMV

A friend is using the Bio Filter. He says it works. I've given him a metal 2nd to compare. Don't know if he's tried it yet.

Don't listen to the ignorant about the cold water performance of a MK25. It has always been a top performer in cold water. Last year they extended cold performance by another 30% and the MK2 performance increased by 50% beyond TIS.

The MK25 EVO and MK2 EVO 1st Stages with XTIS set the Bar in Cold Water Technology

Introducing XTIS. The latest regulator innovation from SCUBAPRO is the exclusive Extended Thermal Insulating System (XTIS). Available in the MK25/MK2 EVO first stages, XTIS ushers in a new era of cold-water protection for the industry. Combined with other advanced features, you’ll be equipped to go further than ever.

Read it all here. http://www.scubapro.com/media/382329/pm_2015_05_mk25_evo_and_mk2_evo_eng.pdf

I have been using SP since 1973. Scubapro has been setting the standard for a reason, everyone else copies. There is so little innovation because Scubapro got it right the first time with the MK5/R109. The only entry to the market that competitors have is on price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom