Scubapro - New Bella BC for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez,
i have one at my local dive shop when i get back from school. i havent really seen one but i have heard great things about it. it would be SO great if you posted pictures, scuba pros website doesnt have it up yet. how much did you pay for yours? was it easy to get into with gloves?

Hi,
I just bought one and am going to try it out next week in Belize. First impressions on dry land is what everyone else has said here so far plus the padding. Though very light, the back padding was really nice. Fits close -- I got a small though I have hips and it fits as it should, for a woman with hips.

Spent $650ish and got the black/gray which looks real sharp.

Will let you know how it goes!

Mary

I'm looking at buying a Bella too, and wondered how it is for packing/traveling? I live up north and usually have multiple transportation changes to get wherever I am going, so packability is a major factor for me. Everythying else about it sounds really good, like hwat I've been searching for...

Hello all! I am shopping around for a BC as well and even asked this same question about the Bella on another site. Here is my two cents.

The latest recommendations from Scuba Diving Magazine seemed to favor the ScubaPro Ladyhawk, so I went to my local LDS to try one on. A lady who worked there was emphatic about buying the ScubaPro Bella over the Ladyhawk. She told me she would NEVER buy the Ladyhawk or one like it because it was a back-inflated BC which would push me face down into the water when I was on the surface. That sounded very unpleasant, so I tried on the Bella. First, I found it surprising heavy and bulky. Packability is important to me as well, and I could see this taking up A LOT of space in my luggage. Moreover, I felt like I was wearing an inner tube! I decided to leave it and try another store.

I was lucky enough to find another store in my area that was run by a woman. She is the owner, an instructor and Dive Master, and she is even roughly my height and size (I am 6 feet, 138 lbs). She gave me invaluable advice about gear that would work for me and even brought up her BC from the store room so I could try it on. It turns out that she wears a Zeagle Zena, which is a back-inflated BC. She completely scoffed at the idea that back-inflated BCs push you face down at the surface and showed me how the design on the Zena would work against that (the weight pockets are low and toward the back). She has been wearing it for 6+ years over hundreds of dives and it still performs brilliantly. I was very happy when I tried it on. It is MUCH lighter and streamlined than the Bella, so I am going to get the Zena.

Long story, short, what works for someone else may not work for you. I would definitely go to some dive shops and try on BCs for yourself. Best of luck!

Wow! What great information! I just went diving a few weeks ago and was having some issues with my BC. My BC is a Sherwood Magnum, size small and I am 5'7 and 150 lbs. My problem is that even with the shoulder straps tightened all the way, the tank still pulls the upper part of my BC back (as though the straps needed tightened) and puts far too much pressure on my lower back. I was just skimming the sight for info about this problem, but I am wondering if I should look at getting a new BC that will actually fit me correctly (the one that I have was a gift from my dad when I started diving). If anyone has expereiced this problem, I would take suggestions, but thanks to everyone for the info on various other BCs that I can look into!

Jana

I too was looking for info about the Bella. I have a ladyhawk and love diving with it but HATE being on the surface in it. It definitely is a struggle not to flop face forward in it. If you ever lost consciousness at the surface they would find you but floating face down...... not good. The only other thing that I don't like about my ladyhawk is the lack of any pockets in the jacket. It does have one roll down pocket but using it really isn't comfortable when taking pictures while hovering close to the reef. My dive buddies call me the "human Christmas tree" because my rattle, light, snorkel etc are all hanging off of my clips. If the Bella would solve these issues, I might have to take the plunge... Has anyone spent any time bobbing at the surface in the Bella?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom