Scubapro Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the information. I have used the SP Sea Glider a coupple of times, it has been a lot of fun. A friend has shown interest on buying one, he’s asking for advice, actually don’t know much on the subject. Any specific comments ?

Scuba96

Personally, I wouldn't buy any DPV that had a non-rebuildable motor, unless that motor was so cheap that it could be considered a throwaway. Which at $500 the Sea Glider's is not. Brushes and seals wear.

The Sea Glider is not cheap. For the similar money you could probably find an Aeris/Oceanic Mako, and have a good performing scooter with multiple sources of parts and service and a large knowledge base to draw upon.

Thank you for the information. I have used the SP Sea Glider a coupple of times, it has been a lot of fun. A friend has shown interest on buying one, he’s asking for advice, actually don’t know much on the subject. Any specific comments ?

Scuba96

I have a Mako and I wouldn't characterize it as "good performing". It works, but its fairly slow compared to Xs and Gavins. They are not worth their retail price IMO, but on the used market they can be found for $800-1000 USD which is a decent value to price ratio.

You do need to upgrade the nose plate to take them deeper (beyond 100ft even though their rated depth is 180ft). But that is a simple modification with a piece of aluminum and some silicon.

I agree that getting parts (like shaft seals or o-rings) is just common sense on purchases of this magnitude. I have no idea what scooters/parts are available in Chile though.

Used Gavins might be a good alternative in this case because they use very inexpensive relays, reed switches, O-rings, batteries and standard Oceanic shaft seals all of which can be found worldwide. Price would be comparable to a new Mako and performance would be far superior.

Scubapro has sold at least two versions of that scooter in the US over the years. The motor is a modified MinnKota trolling motor, with planetary reduction gears and better seals made especially for SP by Johnson Outdoors sister company MinnKota. I tried to buy a set of replacement seals for one once, just to see what they were using (most trolling motor seals are rated for only 1 atm) but it turned out they don't sell any parts for the motors, just entire motors, for about $500.

Despite their mickey mouse looks, they are rated for 185' or so.

Thanks for the correction. I haven't seen/heard anything about SP scooter in U.S. I have seen many in Asia market though. As you may know, its price used to be outrageous compared to EU and US market.

Just out of curiosity, when did SP USA sell this scooter last time in U.S. market? And, is yours the same one with the current model or any upgraded version come out since yours?

I didn't mean to imply that a Mako was the best possible scooter, just that it's probably the safest bet of the entry level/recreational scoooters, and anyone looking for such a thing would be far better off buying one than a SP Glider. The Aeris version especially can often be found, with a little shopping and haggling, at a not-to-awful price. While most of us here would probably take a used Gavin over a new Mako any day of the week, for someone new to scooters a used Gavin can be a tricky purchase.

Most of the parts you mention are common to both the Mako and the Gavin, so the Mako owner benefits from the non-factory supply and repair channels that exist for the Gavin and clones.

Re another post here, I don't have an SP scooter - I was just researching the motor to see what they were using, and wanted to obtain some seals to see if they might be usable on other MinnKota motors, to improve extend their depth capabilities.

I have a Mako and I wouldn't characterize it as "good performing". It works, but its fairly slow compared to Xs and Gavins. They are not worth their retail price IMO, but on the used market they can be found for $800-1000 USD which is a decent value to price ratio.
I agree that getting parts (like shaft seals or o-rings) is just common sense on purchases of this magnitude. I have no idea what scooters/parts are available in Chile though.

Used Gavins might be a good alternative in this case because they use very inexpensive relays, reed switches, O-rings, batteries and standard Oceanic shaft seals all of which can be found worldwide. Price would be comparable to a new Mako and performance would be far superior.

I don't know whether the OP is still listening but basically...
new Mako price = used Gavin Price plus of minus 10% or so.

The Gavin being a far more powerful scooter with a much deeper depth rating 500+ft. That was what I was driving at. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay $2400 for a new Mako.

Back
Top Bottom