Scubapro X650 recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my initial impression on reading it, but that does not make sense. I think the mark on the mouthpiece is key and indicates a problem with a particular mold or production run rather than meaning that from June 2005 through May 2006 only about 670 were produced and sold.

The time frame itself is neccesarily long as a dealer may have ordered an X650 in June 2005 but then not sold it until last month so I am assuming the affected regulators were from an specific production run in May or June 2005.

In the bigger picture though it may not be too far off as I'd be surprised if the X650 was selling in huge numbers. It's a little more expensive than the S600, does not really offer much more in terms of performance, was beaten up badly reputation wise after the first recall and has never really recovered from that beating. And even though this recall involves a relatively small number of regulators, it is not going to help improve the X650's reputation.

Personally, I am just hoping for a much more inspired "X750" design that actually incorporates the X650's very nicely designed poppet and air barrel assembly with a genuine D400 style coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve design. It would be a superbly performing regulator that could match or even exceed the D400's performance and that, from a tech perspective, would not be too different from the other SP designs in terms of service and adjustment procedures.

any ideas on who we would email, call, snail mail, send pamphlets, hot air balloons, or thru (sea) pony express at SP to request that they make the next x650 more like the D400's? DA you have the right idea, that is exactly what they need to do.

sorry for hijacking the thread...sorta...

My LDS informed me about the recall last week.

I called SP directly at 1-800-572-5554. The technician told me in detail what and how the problem developed very politely - It is a production problem. He was able to tell me if my unit was part of the recall with the serial number. My LDS inspected the unit yesterday and confirmed SP's determination that my unit is not affected

In my other calls to them, they have always laid out the details clearly. Thet SP tech even admitted that the S600 can freeflow in very cold water and we discussed the MK25, MK17 and X650 rather honestly.

I have also spoken to AL and Atomics directly about their warranty, MSRP etc. Information was always available and sometimes contrary to internet buzz. I was actually suprised with the responce considering posts in SB.

I think it pays to call the manufacturers directly especially when its a toll free number (tough luck for international divers).

ducst4:
I think it pays to call the manufacturers directly especially when its a toll free number (tough luck for international divers).

Actually, SP should replace the defective X650 in any authorized dealers in the world. Otherwise what does their international warranty mean? But, I don't think it is virtually happened. For example, if you got your reg in CA and went to the indonesia, SP Asia should replace a defective X650 with the new one in Indonesia because your reg is covered by SP international warranty. Did you ask about this to SP?

hoosier:
Actually, SP should replace the defective X650 in any authorized dealers in the world. Otherwise what does their international warranty mean? But, I don't think it is virtually happened. For example, if you got your reg in CA and went to the indonesia, SP Asia should replace a defective X650 with the new one in Indonesia because your reg is covered by SP international warranty. Did you ask about this to SP?

Guys when there is an actual recall (like in this case or say of our Versa Pro) it goes thru a governmental agency and the whole idea is to prevent any injury to users of the product.

I can not imagine Scubapro not making good on the recall no matter where it currently is or how aquired.

Speculating that Scubapro is going to make things difficult for the consumer is silly.

I actually called(just told them i was an instructor-which is true) and asked if they would replace one that was purchased thru the grey market, the answer was yes, but send it direct to us, the dealers don't like it when the see stuff bought from grey market.(no kidding....)

Hoosier,

You misread me. I meant tough luck because the toll free number cannot be used by international divers because you cannot call toll free from outside of the USA (what I know of). Nothing to do with international warranty etc.

Cheers but no beers! (favourite slogan when I worked in the middle east)

cerich:
Guys when there is an actual recall (like in this case or say of our Versa Pro) it goes thru a governmental agency and the whole idea is to prevent any injury to users of the product.

I can not imagine Scubapro not making good on the recall no matter where it currently is or how aquired.

Speculating that Scubapro is going to make things difficult for the consumer is silly.

I actually called(just told them i was an instructor-which is true) and asked if they would replace one that was purchased thru the grey market, the answer was yes, but send it direct to us, the dealers don't like it when the see stuff bought from grey market.(no kidding....)

The recall is also being performed in out of US, too. US is a big market so that it used to be the first rather than any other markets.

In addition, I am not talking about the grey market stuff. Even, the authorized item is hard to get the warranty service in other world. I also contacted with SP customer service about this matter before. Even, I was told that any US LDS has a right to refuse the annual and warranty service for the authorized item if they don't want. Sure, some LDS punish the customers if they didn't buy it from them. Your example isn't a quilte standard because if you know how SP treats the instructor in the market. You must be considered as a keyman. Did you mention you are the Oceanic guy, too? Once I have been told SP even replaced the grey market item in other recall. If SP will do the same way this time, it would be great for the regular customers, but it is a cross finger wish....

How about Oceanic? You have also international warranty? Does the customer get the same warranty and recall servcie anywhere in the world if the item has been from the authorized dealer?

ducst4, Sorry. My post was initiated from the mis-reading about the international call. I need more caffeine or Nitrox :wink:

hoosier:
Your example isn't a quilte standard because if you know how SP treats the instructor in the market. You must be considered as a keyman ( I told them it was a student of mine who got it from Leisure Pro, not for me). Did you mention you are the Oceanic guy, too? (why?, they would think I was doing it for some "slag" the competetion reason, the only reason I called was to post on here, I really don't care how they treat their custs. as long as we treat ours better!) Once I have been told SP even replaced the grey market item in other recall. If SP will do the same way this time, it would be great for the regular customers, but it is a cross finger wish....

How about Oceanic? You have also international warranty? Does the customer get the same warranty and recall servcie anywhere in the world if the item has been from the authorized dealer?

QUOTE]

our warranty page. The warranty is the warranty, dealers do not have to honour it(we sure encourage them to...in my view we should require them to, but...) but we will alwayshttp://www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_warranty.html#2year

cerich:
(why?, they would think I was doing it for some "slag" the competetion reason, the only reason I called was to post on here, I really don't care how they treat their custs. as long as we treat ours better!)

No. I guess you guys can get more favor rather than the competition because you are in the same industry. There is no harsh on my question :wink:

Thanks for the Oceanic warranty info. I was wondering how kind of warranty you offer.

Back
Top Bottom