SDI vs. PADI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens when your computer dies and you don't know the tables? Divings over for that trip, huh.

I've been at the lake when an SDI diver was on his third dive, but he couldn't afford to rent a computer and didn't know the tables. We stopped to explain them to him, so he wouldn't get hurt.

The option of not learning the dive tables and trusting your computer is tantamount to two divers using the same computer. If one buddy is using tables, then you should always go with the most conservative procedure. DCS is not a cold that goes away, it's a serious malady that is life and limb threatening.

I won't dive, or fill tanks for anyone that doesn't know/understand the dive tables. If they want a fill, they take a refresher from an agency that teaches tables first.

sweatfrog:
What happens when your computer dies and you don't know the tables? Divings over for that trip, huh.

If your computer fails just make a normal ascent. Then rent a computer for the rest of the trip.

Even better bring along a backup...

Theres nothing stopping a diver learning some other agencies tables.

Must admit i have mixed ideas of an agency not teaching tables at all. Id agree with them teaching computer primary, tables only as backup but not to teach a backup method at all strikes me as a bit foolhardy.

sweatfrog:
I won't dive, or fill tanks for anyone that doesn't know/understand the dive tables. If they want a fill, they take a refresher from an agency that teaches tables first.
As a shop owner you have every right to refuse to fill for anyone you please. How do you determine if someone knows/understands dive tables. How long is the table "tank fill" test or will you just take my word for it that I understand tables. :wink:

I agree that computers are definitely the way to go nowdays, however, I also believe that a fundamental understanding of the tables is extremely important to know too.

I'm a teacher and to me not knowing your dive tables prior to using a computer is like not knowing your math facts and going straight to a calculator.

My husband and I checked out a LDS and when the SSI instructor said they only use the computer and don't teach tables, we decided right then and there to get training elsewhere. We wound up with a NAUI/PADI instructor, but frankly for us, the certifying agency didn't matter as much as the instructor did. We have PADI certification, but we wouldn't hesitate to take SSI, NAUI, or PADI for our advanced training...as long as our instructor was excellent.

BTW, both my husband and I dive with computers, but we make it a habit to check the tables too just to keep fresh with that.

sweatfrog:

I've been at the lake when an SDI diver was on his third dive, but he couldn't afford to rent a computer and didn't know the tables. We stopped to explain them to him, so he wouldn't get hurt.

The option of not learning the dive tables and trusting your computer is tantamount to two divers using the same computer. If one buddy is using tables, then you should always go with the most conservative procedure. DCS is not a cold that goes away, it's a serious malady that is life and limb threatening.

When I am teaching advanced level courses whether it be divemaster or deco procedures, the tables come out and the blank looks start. I agree that SDI should teach tables. It does have a place in diving.
If you are going to refuse air fills to anyone who doesn't know/understand tables let me know. I'll buy your compressor.

cheers,

Which one of my three would you like? This might be a good way to make money instead of fills. It sure isn't from the $4 I make off each diver. As long as I get to choose the price.

Everyones right, computers are here to stay, but it's a lot harder to teach the basics to someone who never learned it, or fights it as they progress up the ladder. At some point, its got to be "put up or shut up".

Diving is fun, but it's also serious. Certain agencies are trying to get their foot in the door by dropping all pretense of standards. That's playing with fire, and someones going to get burnt.

learn the tables especially multi level profiles. ince you are familiar with the profiles you normally do, you can guage (on good educated guess) the proper dive profile you do if your computer goes off while you are under.

happened to me, was using 2 computers,1 as redundant. guess what, both went off during the same dive. proceeded with the dive as planned using timer and depth guage.

AFter the weekend brought the two units for servicing.... ended up just replacing the batteries :eek:)

Otter:
I teach 16-20 hrs....and I am PADI instructor....remember the key...its the instructor/shop not the agency.

There's a single dive shop in our city of 220,000, and they are PADI 5 star, but based on past experience and previous cert's with the YMCA and ACUC, my wife daughter and I decided to go with the local dive club's multi-instructor ACUC OW certification instead. Because several DM and instructor level fellow club members were willing to help, we ended up getting well over 15 hours (may have been over 20) of pool time, plus lots of special attention.

When daughter and I did our advanced, we went with PADI, partly to get the photo ID from a more widely recognized agency. The course was okay, but just a little too quick and casual and the materials highly polished, but frankly too "dumbed down" for our comfort, so we've ended up doing a nitrox and Dan O2 course, and she did a science project on mixed gas diving and its physiological effects.

The real point of tables in an age of computers is to make people learn what is going on in their bodies. Right since Haldane, the tables have always been based on averages and generalizations, and will occasionally not fit a particular diver (this is generally easier to adjust for on a computer), but an understanding of the principles involved is essential.

im gonna agree with the masses on this one...
im not saying anything that hasnt been said just reinforcing what has been said.
PADI is the biggest in size.. but that dont mean a whole lot.
i have both SDI TDI and PADI certs
PADI up thru rescue, divemaster to AI with SDI
both have good training points..
at my shop we do all lessons semi private regardless of agency
we have a more limited vis and colder water so smaller groups provide a better experence for everyone (remember its supposed to be fun)
we do teach dive tables no matter what
SDI has given ALOT more flexability in the training to the instructors..
i think this is great.... espically with AOW because we can focus on local diving techniques for our surroundings...
i am personally a fan of the self study methood.
give the student the book.. read chapters 1 and 2 at the class we discuss... make sure everyone understands what needs to be understood.. if theres confusion or questions adress it....
the important thing is that the diver has the nessary info when issued a c-card
different traing techniques are fine as long as the knowledge is pass on correctly..
Good luck with diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom