Sea-Doo VS Supercharged and Explorer experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems to be the deal with the Explorers-some of the units had a defect that allowed the motor compartment to flood-it seems it was a problem with the seal but i'm not sure. You can check with Body Glove(U.S. Distributer) but the newest scooters-as of 2009-are produced by a different manufacturer. Apparently the old manufacturer wasn't up to BGs quality standards. If you purchase one make sure it's the latest model. The Explorer I use(and it's an older one)has been shipped around the country a few times, used to remove sediment from the sea floor and I stll buzz around the bay without a hitch.

So who has their imprimatur on these units now? My two were Bombardier, and I was surprised at the three floods. They make great jets, and they did a super job when they took over OMC and released the E-Tec outboards; but they only put their name on the scooters.
So are they Body Gloves or Bombardier units now?
If they solved the rear seal leaks, these would be great scooters.

Hi!

I'm considering buying a budget scooter in the near future, just to shorten some common surface swims in the Monterey, CA area. I've tried to read as many of the reviews and comments here as possible, but I've yet to find anybody here who has actually shared much experience with either of these scooters. I've heard both good and bad things...

I'm looking for any experiences with these scooters from people who have actually used them, ideally in conditions similar to mine (cold water, shore dives, etc.). Just to head off some distractions, yes - I would much rather own an X-Scooter, but I'm not looking to make an investment right now. I'm interested in an entry level scooter in the sub-$1000 price range.

Thanks!
Brian

Hepcat just curious, did you decide on the Sea Doo Explorer or VS Supercharged?

I'm currently leaning towards purchasing a single Explorer. I'm gauging interest from the girlfriend/dive-buddy though, which could eventually push me towards two VS units.

I have one of the explorers, and to answer one of your questions above, I did use it to tow myself and my buddy in from a wreck dive to the beach.

Another time I used it on the Capt Dan wreck in a fairly stiff current. My buddy was so jealous of how hard he had to work to swim alongside me just cruising along that he went out to buy one later that day.

I screwed up the first battery - by leaving it on the charger too long.

I haven't had any leak problems yet, and it has been down to 100 feet or so.

My seadoo vs supercharged flooded. It would only work on land and in the water it would sputter then shut off. I sent it out for repair(100 dollars) and they took it apart and could not find anything wrong with it(no water damage etc)
They changed the o rings, seals etc, I hope that does the trick but my confidence level is looow at this time

My seadoo vs supercharged flooded. It would only work on land and in the water it would sputter then shut off. I sent it out for repair(100 dollars) and they took it apart and could not find anything wrong with it(no water damage etc)
They changed the o rings, seals etc, I hope that does the trick but my confidence level is looow at this time

Geez - that's a lot of money for something that sounds like a non-fix. Obviously something is wrong when it's in the water. I wonder if (at the very least) they have someone take these things into the deep end of a pool...once they've determined they can't find anything wrong?

Please keep us apprised of your in-water testing.

Geez - that's a lot of money for something that sounds like a non-fix. Obviously something is wrong when it's in the water. I wonder if (at the very least) they have someone take these things into the deep end of a pool...once they've determined they can't find anything wrong?

Please keep us apprised of your in-water testing.

Afterwards they admitted that they dont water test(Thnx). If it comes back bad I will be disputing the charge on my credit card for what it is worth. Still hoping for the best because the tech did sound like he gave it his all

I have one of the explorers, and to answer one of your questions above, I did use it to tow myself and my buddy in from a wreck dive to the beach.

Another time I used it on the Capt Dan wreck in a fairly stiff current. My buddy was so jealous of how hard he had to work to swim alongside me just cruising along that he went out to buy one later that day.

I screwed up the first battery - by leaving it on the charger too long.

I haven't had any leak problems yet, and it has been down to 100 feet or so.

It's amazing the difference they make in a current-and the amount of gas conserved not fighting it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom