Sea Scooters with adaptions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tepol

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I have suffer from a disability that affects my joints badly ( I cant stand unasissted ) and any reptitive motion - like swimming just makes it worse , so I was hoping there might be a way I could get into water and at least experince some sensation of swimming by using a sea scooter.

The problem however is that my joints / connective tissue are also very sensitive to vibrations ( rpm ) from motors , so I was wondering if there was any adaptions or equipment , that would make it possible or me over come this i.e. either through a specific product , or something that might allow me to use a product like the Bladefish ?

Im not looking to spend hours ( even 20 minutes would be good ) but just something, as I say , that can propel me, and maybe give me a little exercise , feeling of my pre-illness days before in my youth ( I am 35 now ) .

If any one has any suggestions or ideas , other products that could do this Id be really interested to hear them , as I'd dearly love to be able to get back in the water again , even if just for short while. :)

thanks

helena.

I wish I had a good recommendation for you. The scooters I have used (very limited experience) have not been bad on vibration to me, but I was not attuned to this and so I really can't say. Since repetitive motion and vibration are both challenges you may want to consider the old fashion way, have your buddy grab your valve and tow you. We do it all the time with quadriplegic scuba divers. I know that is a blow to your independence and desire to feel like your pre-illness days, but it would get you back to scuba diving with the minimal stress on the joints and you could kick as little or as much as you felt comfortable doing and avoid the vibration issue.

Another thought.. . And I havn't gone looking for a video or anything. There used to be an old popular science project (and I believe that these were also available comercially) that was a wing that was towed by a boat. You did hold on but you were attatched primarily through a waist belt and the wing was attatched to the boat. Using the wing you could dive and ascend and even roll and sich.. . . yes you are attatched to a boat.. . But it could be sort of a powered drift dive.

Anybody remember these.. . they were quite the rage years ago

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom