Sea Shepherd starts operation Musashi this November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the evidence as can be found in this thread, along with all of the other Sea Shepherd threads, is that a substantial percentage of conservation minded people are put off by Paul Watson as well, and that their activities tend to be divisive as far as conservationists are concerned, rather than cohesive. I feel strongly that the most powerful weapon there is against the destruction of our oceans is the illumination of the actions that are destroying by video taping them. I personally feel that the video evidence that the Sea Shepherd brings back would be much more effective if there was an absence of aggressive action on the part of the Sea Shepherd.

Public opinion is ultimately what will drive the changes necessary for the preservation of whales, because public opinion shapes law. I understand that there are many who feel that Japan's laws do not protect the whales, however, we are not in charge of Japan's law's, the Japanese are. There is a growing movement from within Japan to end whaling, however there is, again as evidenced in this thread, a feeling that they are being attacked. The actions of the Sea Shepherd against Japan are having a galvanizing affect, as one might imagine, on public opinion there, and is not helping matters at all. In fact it's detrimental to the cause. I think that evidence of this can be found in Greenpeace's condemnation of Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherd, and Greenpeace's efforts to aid the Japanese vessels that Sea Shepherd damaged.

So, in a nutshell, the decision for conservation of whales and the cessation of whaling is a decision that must be made by all nations. We don't rule the world, they will have to make those decisions for themselves. There are only two nations to go before it's unanimous globally. The operations of Sea Shepherd are currently shifting public opinion in these two nations away from this cause. Honestly, I think that Paul Watson is motivated by money and fame, because he must know that his actions are eroding support for conservation in Japan, and that by doing this, that he is killing whales.

Commons sense says you are right, when everyone is playing by the rules, but when one side doe's not play by the rules then what?

As you say public opinion will do it but I don't think Greenpeace is the one that will get the message out to the greater population. Mention Greenpeace in any high school and I bet you would get ???. Mention Sea Shepherd and you will get a few that recognize the name, why because its a action news item.

All board members care about the oceans and are educated as to what is happening to them. But to the greater mass with no interest in the ocean other than maybe a day at the beach they will not want to waste there time with statistics.

Kim interesting analogy, mine only a fool takes a knife to a gun fight. I do believe in fighting fire with fire. You and I have debated this subject angrily at times and I don't think I will ever convince you or you me to change sides but no hard feelings.

Killing without a reason no, but I would rather see a couple of humans go than see any species driven to extinction. :popcorn:

So in the context of the Sea Shepard's captain's reckless behavior resulting in the death of a person this is acceptable?

Killing without a reason no, but I would rather see a couple of humans go than see any species driven to extinction. :popcorn:
So it would be OK if your college aged daughter was on one of his eco-action tours(or whatever he calls his pay to protest trips) and his reckless stupidity got her killed.

YES There is a reason. If 1000 thousand humans died tomorrow no one would notice, if 1000 whales died tomorrow, you tell me. Before you try to make me out the bad guy I would rather see no humans or whales die, but in terms of what could we afford to lose..the math is easy.

Mention Greenpeace in any high school and I bet you would get ???. Mention Sea Shepherd and you will get a few that recognize the name, why because its a action news item.

I agree, to an extent, unfortunately the high schools that matter in the fight to protect the whales are the ones in Japan, and Paul Watson is leaving them none too anamoured with the cause.

As an aside, I'm not positive, but I think that Greenpeace is focusing a fair amount of attention on Japanese anti-whaling campaigns, and Greenpeace is fairly well known in Japan.

So it would be OK if your college aged daughter was on one of his eco-action tours(or whatever he calls his pay to protest trips) and his reckless stupidity got her killed.

YES There is a reason. If 1000 thousand humans died tomorrow no one would notice, if 1000 whales died tomorrow, you tell me. Before you try to make me out the bad guy I would rather see no humans or whales die, but in terms of what could we afford to lose..the math is easy.

Glad to hear you won't be upset when that reckless egomaniac kills someone while playing swashbuckler

The friends and families of the 1000 humans would notice.

I agree, to an extent, unfortunately the high schools that matter in the fight to protect the whales are the ones in Japan, and Paul Watson is leaving them none too anamoured with the cause.

As an aside, I'm not positive, but I think that Greenpeace is focusing a fair amount of attention on Japanese anti-whaling campaigns, and Greenpeace is fairly well known in Japan.

There is a place for GP and SS. My experience in Northern Ireland There was the action wing of the IRA and a political wing. No one took much notice of the political wing at first. But after years of war and death it was the political wing that came to the for front and helped broker a peace agreement.

It would be great if we could go straight to talks and sort things out but unfortunately money and egos some times get in the way of people doing the right thing.

She died doing something she believes in. I watched sons go into the the military and prayed that they would come back ok, they were adults and believed in what they were doing.

Would I be devastated yes.

To thine own self be true.

Back
Top Bottom