Sea Shepherd starts operation Musashi this November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The friends and families of the 1000 humans would notice.

They would. But millions would not, however millions would notice if the whales became extinct and countless more millions in the future would curse us for our recklessness.

They would. But millions would not, however millions would notice if the whales became extinct and countless more millions in the future would curse us for our recklessness.

I am sure this will be a great comfort for the grieving....

As well those who are cursed today by the countless millions for the excesses of the past which have brought so many species to the brink, and over the brink, seem to be sleeping well.

I am sure this will be a great comfort for the grieving....

As well those who are cursed today by the countless millions for the excesses of the past which have brought so many species to the brink, and over the brink, seem to be sleeping well.

I must admit the state of the oceans keep me awake a lot longer than the death of a whaler would.

Now my turn to ask you a couple of questions.

What would you do if you hear my college age daughter was killed out there (no matter what side she was on)?. A good guess post on Scubaboard your condolences then move on to the next thread,. It would not do me much good, I don't give or accept lip service.

. Is one human life worth the extinction of a species?

I must admit the state of the oceans keep me awake a lot longer than the death of a whaler would.

And me..

I wonder how many who are so vociferous about the "sanctity" of human life are so vocal when it comes to all wars.. I see more point and value in fighting to save a species than fighting to maintain profits or an ideology.

Commons sense says you are right, when everyone is playing by the rules, but when one side doe's not play by the rules then what?
Japan IS playing by the rules. It's not their fault if you and paul Watson don't like what the rules are though. Every country I know makes deals or whatever (what you describe as bribery) to garner support for whatever is their interest at stake in world bodies like the WTO, or even the UN.
My experience in Northern Ireland There was the action wing of the IRA and a political wing. No one took much notice of the political wing at first. But after years of war and death it was the political wing that came to the for front and helped broker a peace agreement.
So you know full well, as does any Brit who lived through the period, that it was only when the "action" wing of the IRA was stopped that the killing and bloodshed ceased, and the non-violent voices could actually get a compromise deal that brought peace. In whaling, it's Sea Shepherd who are the equivalent of the IRA - taking the law into their own hands unilaterally, and it's hard to see how the Japanese will ever be brought to a deal while those bozos keep attacking them.

Greenpeace on the other hand simply films what is going on, and then tells the world.

I can assure you that embarrassment rather than force is a much more powerful weapon in this fight.

And me..

I wonder how many who are so vociferous about the "sanctity" of human life are so vocal when it comes to all wars.. I see more point and value in fighting to save a species than fighting to maintain profits or an ideology.

Its worth a couple of thousand lives for cheap gas

Japan IS playing by the rules. It's not their fault if you and paul Watson don't like what the rules are though. Every country I know makes deals or whatever (what you describe as bribery) to garner support for whatever is their interest at stake in world bodies like the WTO, or even the UN.

So you know full well, as does any Brit who lived through the period, that it was only when the "action" wing of the IRA was stopped that the killing and bloodshed ceased, and the non-violent voices could actually get a compromise deal that brought peace. In whaling, it's Sea Shepherd who are the equivalent of the IRA - taking the law into their own hands unilaterally, and it's hard to see how the Japanese will ever be brought to a deal while those bozos keep attacking them.

Greenpeace on the other hand simply films what is going on, and then tells the world.

I can assure you that embarrassment rather than force is a much more powerful weapon in this fight.

what you describe as bribery

What do you call it?. Wrong is wrong no matter who or how many are doing it.

Even GP said it was wrong to pay country's IWC fees to vote against whaling.

I do hope you are not trying to tell me that the political wing of the IRA brought peace, they acted as go between after the TWO sides were still at stalemate after years of war and dwindling public support.

That is part of the problem. If the Japanese bow to world opinion they would loose face.

Maybe if they gave all the bribery money to the whalers, they would stay home. Hell, I would donate a few bucks every year to see that

Don't get me wrong I am not against whaling entirely. Everything on this planet is in the food chain, but I would like to see the numbers come up so that there is no doubt about sustaining there numbers

Now my turn to ask you a couple of questions.

What would you do if you hear my college age daughter was killed out there (no matter what side she was on)?. A good guess post on Scubaboard your condolences then move on to the next thread,. It would not do me much good, I don't give or accept lip service.

. Is one human life worth the extinction of a species?

Were your daughter killed I would not post condolences on SB. I do not know you, nor your daughter; posting condolences to a faceless unknown from a faceless unknown is worse than lip service.

Is one human life worth the extinction of a species?

Depends on the human...

I am fully on board with protecting species on the brink.

I have issues with the methodology of the Sea Shepherd fellows.

Any death or serious injury caused by these fellows is avoidable. In such an instance the death is a waste and does nothing to forward the cause.

She died doing something she believes in. I watched sons go into the the military and prayed that they would come back ok, they were adults and believed in what they were doing.

Would I be devastated yes.

To thine own self be true.

whereas i would be prepared to kill a hundred whales if it meant my child (or in my case my only niece) life

sorry CD - i dont understand your attitude so we will have to agree to disagree

Were your daughter killed I would not post condolences on SB. I do not know you, nor your daughter; posting condolences to a faceless unknown from a faceless unknown is worse than lip service.

Is one human life worth the extinction of a species?

Depends on the human...

I am fully on board with protecting species on the brink.

I have issues with the methodology of the Sea Shepherd fellows.

Any death or serious injury caused by these fellows is avoidable. In such an instance the death is a waste and does nothing to forward the cause.

We agree somewhat, I think. My way of looking at the loss of life in this instance is.

The whalers go out for what $$$$ knowing that activist are going out to stop you and some one may get killed. Your choice I hope the $ were worth it.

The activest go out for what? an ideal and they know its possible one of them may get killed, your choice. I hope there ideal was worth it.

They all have a choice.

Depends on the human...

Intresting whos life is worth more than another, as if I did not know :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom